• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Nat West Bank Statements ** WON **

lipscombe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1869 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I today received bank statements back to 2002 after sending DPA letter. They have not cashed my £10 cheque yet which was written from another bank account!! Second letter will be on way today to try & claim £1059 for my son.

The compliment slip has an address 225 Shenley Road, Borehamwood, should I send the second letter there??

7th June mcol £30 + 276.00 + int17.37=£323.37 Abbey

Accepted £291 chq cleared 28th July

7th June mcol £120 + 1135.02 charges + 83.42 chq for £1438.44 paid to bank 2nd Aug

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

had a reply from Nat West today, only 3 days really impressed by speed but not the response!!

They believe their charges are fair and applied in accordance with our agreement and published tariff. They state they are satisfied all complies with all applicable laws & regulations.

Letter was from Stuart Higley, Customer Relations, Nat West, 225 shenley Road Borehamwood, WD6 1TE

They are basically fobbing us off. Should I now start legal proceedings or try another letter.

Please advise someone, really skint so want to be sure before I pay for the small claims court.

has anyone beaten NatWest yet, cannot seem to see if anyone has actually got money back from them.

7th June mcol £120 + 1135.02 charges + 83.42 chq for £1438.44 paid to bank 2nd Aug

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to start another thread, but not very pc literate & could not work out how to add to my previous comments.

I have written 2 letters now to Nat West on behalf of my son asking for refund of £1059 charges. Have received replies very quickly. They inform him that individual refunds paid to customers were based on a commercial decision and made individualy.

He has been told that he will not receive a refund and that to serve papers they should be sent to the registered office: 135 Bishops Gate London EC2M 3UR.

I cannot find anyone in the forum who has received big refunds back.

Should I continue to go all the way and now contact the small claims court?

I've moved the post for you. To add a post, locate your thread, open it and just click "post reply" (to yourself, I know!).

Should I continue to go all the way and now contact the small claims court?

Well, that depends. Do you want your money back? Because they're obviously not going to give it back unless you sue them!

Would you only have to appear in court if Natwest contest the case?

Thanks Alan, sorry if I sound thick but I need to get things straight in my head before I do things. I have spent hours reading this site and am a bit better finding my way round.

I have found the guide to completing the Moneyclaim form, thanks, but I cannot quite understand.

Do I have to list each individual charge or just claim for 1 sum with the to and from dates.

As it will cost me £120.00 do not want to do it wrong! Once again sorry to sound so thick!!! x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

have spent hours going through the forum looking for how to exactly fill in the moneyclaim form on line, getting on a bit so not really pc literate I'm afraid.

Would someone please advise. Do I have to enter each individual charge & date, or just one lump sum x x

You don't need to list the individual charges in moneyclaim - just give a total and the period that the total relates to.

You will then need to include the statement regarding section 69 interest. Put in the amount of interest as at todays date (or the date you submit the claim) - then you need to calculate the daily amount (total charges @ 8% divided by 365).

Thanks Alanfromderby x

As I was unsure how to complete form, thought I would try a last ditch letter to Sir Fred Goodwin, the Group Chief Executive in Glasow. Sent letter last friday )28th April, sent copies of letters sent & replies received (fobbing off replies basically11)

I said I would give him until Monday 8th May I would then proceed with legal route.

Received a letter this morning-

Dear Mr Walsh (am dealing with this for my son)

Thank you for your letter dted 28/4/06 addressed to Sir Fred Goodwin, our Group Chief Executive. In view of you comments, we have asked for a full briefing from those involved. Once this is received , a formal response will be sent to you from the bank's executive.

We will aim to get a response out to you as soon as we can but we also want to make sure that a thorough investigation takes place. If, for any reason, there looks like being a delay, we will, of course write to you again to explain why.

If you do have any queries in the meantime, please feel free to contact us.

Yours sincerely

Aslam Abid.

WILL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL TRYING TO GET MONEY BACK.

HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND - booze involved for most of us again I suppose x x x

• 4 weeks later...

I have received a reply from Sir Fred Godwin as follows:-

Thank you for your letter of 28th April. I have noted your comments regarding the efforts you are making to bring your finances into order and your feeling that Naw West is not helping by continuing to apply charges.

From the copy correspondence you enclosed, I am aware that Mr Higley, from NatWest's C R U, has confirmed the bank's stance on the applicatin of charges to a customer's account. I am sorry if you do not agree that they are fair and reasonable.

You have suggested that customers are being refunded because banks recongnise the charges as unfair. As Mr Higley stated in his letter, each case is looked at on an individual basis. If the bank has made an error then a refund would be justified ohterwise the charges would stand. On reviewing the operation of your ac****, it is cleear that there have been regular excesses of the £500 agreed limit. In fact, between Nov 05 & Feb 06 no credits were received into the account & during this period the overdraft was never lower than £644 & reaching a high of £872. On this basis there is no justificatin for a refund, hence the letters you received from Mr Higley.

However, I am conscious that since you have started paying credits back into the account the only times that you exceeded the limit were when the monthly charges were applied at the end of March & April. I am also aware that you converted the account to Adv Gold in Aug 05, which is costing you £10 per month. I am not sure if you are using the benefits sufficiently to justify this fee and you may want to consider converting the account back to Current Plus.

In an effort to help you bring your finances back onto an even keel, I am prepared to refund March & April's unauthorised borrowing fiees totalling £56 and cancel the £28 fee due at the end of May. If this is acceptable to you then please sign & return the enclosed copy of this letter and the necessary arrangements will be made.

Thank you for taking the time to write to me. I hope the action I have proposed will enable the banking relationship to move forward on a more postive basis.

YS Fred Godwin.

To go back to a Current Plus account I would surely have to clear the overdraft, which I am unable to do. The reason I got into this state was that I was laid off work & the bank kept adding charges!!

I would have to borrow the £120 court fees, do you think I stand a chance of winning??

I would have to borrow the £120 court fees, do you think I stand a chance of winning??

I'll tell you what I have already said a few times, it's a case of odds:

Possibilities for winning: 1) Bank pays up at 1st letter, 2) bank pays up at 2nd letter, 3) bank pays up at claim issuing stage, 4) before acknowledgement of service, 5) after acknowldegement of service, 6) before lodging a defense, 7) after lodging a defemse, 8) at allocation questionnaire time, 9) after allocation questionnaire, but before hearing, 10) any time between hearing date set and actual hearing, 11) on court steps. Or 12) bank goes in hearing, gets trounced.

Possibilities for losing: 1) bank goes in hearing, you lose. Er, that's it. What do you lose? Your court fees, and you never get money back to which you had kissed goodbye a long, long time ago anyway.

Just to bolster your resolve, have a look at the survey. Then draw your own conclusions. We can't GUARANTEE you'll win, but these are damn good odds. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Trever McDonald programme Monday. Excellent.

On that strength have lodged mcol to Nat West for my son Tuesday 6th June. Thought I had better get in before the rush!!

Have also lodged mcol with Abbey for my own charges!

Claim for £1230.93

what a surprise, have received 'notice that acknowledgment of service has been filed'

Cobbetts have 28 days to file a defence. If it does go to court am I allowed to represent my son as he is petrified? should I just sit & wait now? Spent hours reading FAQ's but get confused a bit.

He will come with me but does not really understand what I am doing for him.

Hopefully it will not come to this, but better to be prepared. If it does go to court will be looking for a buddy!!!!!

As no-one answered my last query I have purchased the book about small claims as advised.

I need to be genned up if this goes to court!! Just hope I will be able to represent my son as he is now sh*****g himself poor love!!

In one way I hope it does go to court, have enjoyed reading other members experiences making the banks squirm. I personally have a case with the Abbey, have not received anything back from the court yet.

Feeling very nervous but excited at the same time, should all be ending soon.

Good luck to all who have just started their claims x x

Thanks Alan for your prompt reply, just the news we wanted!!! My son is very relieved.

I am toying with the idea of sending a copy of the spreadsheet & all letters to Cobbetts.

Do you think this is a good idea, I am thinking it may stop them from being able to postpone at the first court appearance? If you agree should I send them to their Birmingham, Leeds or Manchester office. Does anyone have a name of the solicitor who is dealing with the Nat West cases?

I will also send copies to the court if I send them to Cobbetts.

Can anyone advise me before tomorrow (Friday 22nd June) whether I should send copy of spreadsheet showing breakdown of claim to Cobbetts & the court?

Have looked at many threads, some seem to thing it can stop them filing for another 28 days delay.

Thanks x x

Hi Lipscombe,

Much respect for what you are doing for your son.

I am just about to send off my request for charges today, but was a little confused, some threads seem to say send the request to their Data Protection Act registered building, others seem to infer it should be sent to my branch. Can i ask where you sent yours?

Many thanks and good luck!

Thanks Johny, it is in my best interest as the devil owes me money. If Nat West hadn't started the spiral of charge after charge he would not of got in the financial state he is in!!!

I wrote to Mr Alex Lyons, DP Manager, Retail Regulatory Risk, 2nd Floor, Business House B, Gogarburen,PO Box 1000, Edinburgh EH12 1HQ. They did not cash my chq & I received them very quickly - but that was back in March - they have a higher volume of requests now.

It might be a good idea to start your own thread so we can watch your step by step progress.

Can anyone tell me if I should send my spreadsheet to the court & Cobbetts Please!!!!!!!!! x x

Heard nothing at all - got to wait til 10th July - the suspenders are killing me.

There does not seem to be many people getting their money back lately - please someone tell me I am wrong.

GOOD LUCK ALL X X

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1869 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks