Ebay

Brummybird
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have an issue regarding ebay spoof that we have recently been the victims of.

Before i go any further please do not think that i am stupid.

I am normally so careful with my money and feel so stupid at what happened.

I will try and keep it short.

My partner have been looking fro a mobile home for some time.

One recently came up on ebaylink3.gif.

We communicated with who we thought was the seller via text as he told us his hearing had been affected by an accident.

Called ebay, they confirmed that the advert was there and read it to us word for word.

Invoice came through with his bank details. (Barcalys Leicester)

Transferred the money which included delivery.

Mobile home never turned up.

The person who we thought that we were buying from has sent us confirmation that his account had been hacked into.

The police and Barclayslink3.gif have been of no help .

All ebay will say is they can find no trace of the sale.

Can anyone offer any advice please.

Before i go any further please do not think that i am stupid. I am normally so careful with my money and feel so stupid at what happened. I will try and keep it short.

My partner have been looking fro a mobile home for some time.

One recently came up on Ebay. We communicated with who we thought was the seller via text as he told us his hearing had been affected by an accident. Called ebay, they confirmed that the advert was there and read it to us word for word. Invoice came through with his bank details. (Barcalys Leicester) Transferred the money which included delivery.

Mobile home never turned up. The person who we thought that we were buying from has sent us confirmation that his account had been hacked into. The police and Barclays have been of no help . All ebay will say is they can find no trace of the sale. Can anyone offer any advice please.

So payment wasnt through PayPal ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I would have thought the police would have treated this as fraud by the person you transferred the funds to?

I will see if someone on site team can advise.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The bank cannot refund the payment if made by bank transfer. It's need to be left to the police.

I take it you never viewed the mobile home before buying either

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Hi, No we didnt view the motorhome. Carried out hpi checks which came back clear.

What is really annoying is that we advised the bank as soon as we were aware that the motorhome was never going to arrive and provided all the proof that this person was obtaining money by deception and they did nothing.

Do we have a claim aginst ebay,as the site was hacked into?

The site wasnt hacked though.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Common fraud I'm afraid. You are going to have to leave it all to the police. go back to them and report it as theft- using a false instrument to make a pecuniary advantage. Dont put up with what the desk civvy says, they arent trained to a high enough level to deal with things properly but ask for the shift senior who will be a sergeant or above.

We have received confirmation that the site was hacked into. In view of this as ebay always seem to stress that the site is secure it obviously is not.

We have also reported this to Action Fraud and the police however do not have much faith in them as we constantly have to chase them.

How have you been in contact with ebay? by telephone ?

It might be worth making an official complaint in writing to their UK head office.

You might want to stress the fact that the original seller/advertiser confirms that it was their Ebay account that was hacked into therefore it was done via ebay's website.

Can you confirm that it definitely wasnt the seller of the item that you texted ?

BCOBS

We have received confirmation that the site was hacked into. In view of this as ebay always seem to stress that the site is secure it obviously is not.

We have also reported this to Action Fraud and the police however do not have much faith in them as we constantly have to chase them.

Again the site wasnt hacked into. The user failed to keep their password and username secure. That is not hacking. That is a basic unauthorised account access. Nothing more.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

How am i sure? 14+ years of I.T and web coding experience plus indepth knowledge of how corporation logins work. Too many people accuse the site of being hacked when its simply a user error.

Lets use CAG as an example.

Plenty of people on here know my login name. Infact everyone who sees my posts do. ALl they would need is the password. There are plenty of programs out there designed to guess the password. Granted, CAG has some strict login controls in place so it is extremely hard to crack a password, but with ebay, most users use a very simple password that is easy to crack or guess.

That way they have the login details. The site was never hacked and indeed it looked to simply be the normal user logging in.

How am i sure? 14+ years of I.T and web coding experience plus indepth knowledge of how corporation logins work. Too many people accuse the site of being hacked when its simply a user error.

Lets use CAG as an example.

Plenty of people on here know my login name. Infact everyone who sees my posts do. ALl they would need is the password. There are plenty of programs out there designed to guess the password. Granted, CAG has some strict login controls in place so it is extremely hard to crack a password, but with ebay, most users use a very simple password that is easy to crack or guess.

That way they have the login details. The site was never hacked and indeed it looked to simply be the normal user logging in.

If the whole site had have been hacked, it would be on the news. Like when playstation got hacked for example. There would be massive implications. As its just you, that account was compromised. The guy had a stupid password or worse still might have even been in cahoots with the fraudsters or could even be the one and the same.

Who confirmed that the account was hacked?

if people store their passwords (click yes remember) in any of the browsers as well, then they are VERY easy to retreave

ive got several programs that will wizz through a computer and then give me user names and passwords stored in the browsers not sure how many it works on but its tested on opera, internet explorer, chrome and firefox

it wouldnt be hard to write that program into a virus that would retreave the passwords then email them onto a certain address

alternatively theres several side jacking tools out there (runs a dream on android)

these simply copy session cookies over and allow you to use peoples accounts without ever giving you there passwords, again ive tested this and it works on ebay, email and facebook a treat

ok with that you have to be on the same wifi but how many people use the free wifi at the pub

unfortunatly in this day and age its all too easy to get login details

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

A common fraud is to use a page overlay that looks like the page you think you are looking at but it is a redirect to elsewhere. The URL in the toolbar on your browser will have changed and if you use ghostery or similar blockers you get a message that a redirect has been added to a pixel in the original page.

A common fraud is to use paypal. It is so laughably insecure and easy to commit fraud with, im surprised people still use it.

Thank you all for you comments. As you can appreciate i do not have the knowledge of how people manage to access these sites and that is why i am in the position i am.

Can anyone advise me as to whether i have any claim against ebay. I remained on the site at all times, no block ups appeared. I have written to ebay twice by recorded delivery at their Dublin office and have not received a reply. Surely such a large organisation as theirs should be secure as they always appear to advertise.

Basically no case against ebay as they havent defrauded you. You have been to the police and reported it as a crime havent you? Go back again as they have a duty to investigate. Dont take the word of the person on the desk, they are normally civilian workers who dont have the necessary training to progress a complaint of this nature. The bank wont help you because they are not allowed to. The police must contact them and then they can supply the information about the person who received the funds.

Yes reported to the police straight away. Ebay sent a form to be completed by the police which we have requested they do however the PC in charge of our case does not seem to think its worth it as they are a large american group,in his words. Does not give me great confidence. It appears that crime does pay. We have managed to establish that the culprit is Romanian.Reading other forums it seems that this kind of [problem] has been going on for some time, pitty i didnt find out before.

If the PC did say that, then youy need to escalate it to the Chief superindendant. It is not the officers call if the case is worth it or not.

Have you tried actionfraud?

Yes have reported to Action Fraud. the officer mentioned has obtained a name and address for this person from Barclays. Said he would pass it to the Met police (must be London) and they may call but then again may not. I am getting as angry with the police as i am with the person who conned us.

They have to do their own investigation, and if that person is out of the country, it could be hard to trace them, if they even can.

it would be very hard to trace

look up a browser call TOR, if they used something like that then they are likely to have simply used a gateway in romania and could be anywhere world wide

sorry bout all the indepth answers this sort of security issues a hobby of mine

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: