Jump to content

local authrtity unknown PCN's - can bailiffs pursue a parking fine in Scotland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4072 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

hi -


I do hope someone can help with this as it has all got rather complicated!!


I moved to Glasgow and didn't receive notifications about a penalty charge. I contacted the Local authority about a different penalty charge and they wrote to me about this other PCN and told me that an order for recovery had been made. I was given the choice of paying the fine, plus Charge certificate increase - £202 ( i never received the charge certificate) or filing a witness statement - but the witness statement needed to be filed within 21 days of the order for recovery, and by the time I was first told of the Order for recovery, it was already 2 months after it had been issued.


Instead I wrote to the council asking them to cancel the PCN. I had paid the original parking charge in the meter but it had not issued a ticket. I had put a dated and timed note on my windscreen to this effect, and sent them photos of this. However they didn't cancel the PCN and gave me the same options - i.e. pay the increased fine, or file a witness statement. However I later discovered they had not given me a chance for either of these options, but had passed it through to bailiffs the very next day.


I sent an offer to pay part of it, to close the matter, with a cheque ( sent without prejudice); but before I got any reply, my tenants at my previous house were woken by bailiffs demanding £576.88.


I contacted the national debt helpline and they advised me to file an out of time witness statement. I did this, but it was rejected by the Northampton TEC.


I then filed a N244 request to have the decision reviewed, sending this time loads of evidence to corroborate the fact that I had moved to Glasgow, and that I had not received the notice to owner.


However, they have returned my N244 saying they cannot deal with it as Scotland is outside their jurisdiction.


So my question ( finally!) is this: can the local authority pursue me in Scotland for this? and assuming they can and will, how can I get the opportunity to file a witness statement here in Scotland? It would seem totally unfair to be denied the routes of appeal that i would have if I lived in England - especially since the whole reason this case has escalated is because I moved here!


The bailiff action will recommence automatically - even though they know I don't live in London. so i am really worried - all help gratefully received.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know the answer to your question but I think you can file an N244 without appearing in person - or perhaps with someone to appear on your behalf. So apply for one using a care/of address in England, and submit irrefutable evidence that you could not have received the postal notices. That might give you a way out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...