Benefits and living abroad.

RJasp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4082 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there,

I bring to you today a rather complicated question (I assume). I currently have Bipolar type 2 and Anxiety disorder, and I am receiving ESA. My mother is a widow and receives her widows pension among other complicated stuff I don't know about. I have this dream of one day moving to Spain as I'm sure it will help my head and my family who have a range of "issues". However, money is naturally short, and after bringing up the subject of moving again I was asked by my mother whether the help we both receive financially goes if we were to move to a new country.

I assume it does, but does it get replaced with anything? If we were to move to Spain tomorrow, what sort of things would we have to do to make sure we are able to live? Apologies if this is a really daft question; I try to stay away from complicated financial worries like this.

Thanks,

-Jasper

Hello and welcome to CAG.

Have you had a look at the DWP website about being paid benefits when abroad please?

My best, HB

Hello, thank you.

No I haven't. I'm not very clued up on benefits and I didn't even think about checking that site. After checking though, I'm struggling to find anything on abroad payments. I searched around and only found threats about abroad fraud, but nothing substantial to living abroad and receiving benefits.

I know it's there, I just can't see it :???:

Hello again.

I think it would help us to advise you if you tell us what benefits your mother is on.

From what I've read, moving abroad is complicated if you receive benefits. Do you have contacts in Spain and where would you live please?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello again.

I think it would help us to advise you if you tell us what benefits your mother is on.

From what I've read, moving abroad is complicated if you receive benefits. Do you have contacts in Spain and where would you live please?

HB

I don't specifically know what she's on unfortunately. I know she receives a widows pension though, and child benefits because of my younger brother (9 years of age). I'm not sure if she gets caring allowance for my sister who has psychosis (who also gets ESA and DLA).

We don't have any contacts in Spain and I'm not sure where we'll live. This is more hypothetical than realistic but we're both curious as to what would happen if we were to move.

Thanks again.

Thank you for that.

I think we're going to need more information on what benefits please, otherwise it could be impossible to advise you.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I hope, but I think your benefits would need to be paid by the UK system. If I'm right, this would also expose you to currency fluctuations between the £ and the euro.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello, thank you.

No I haven't. I'm not very clued up on benefits and I didn't even think about checking that site. After checking though, I'm struggling to find anything on abroad payments. I searched around and only found threats about abroad fraud, but nothing substantial to living abroad and receiving benefits.

I know it's there, I just can't see it :???:

You're not clued up on benefits, yet you receive ESA and your sister also receives ESA & DLA and you dont know what your mother claims, how odd :-o