Previous leaseholder debts am i liable

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4067 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, we have recently purchased outright (no mortgage) our own property and we have some service charges that we havent quiblled..But there is outstanding debts from the previous owner.One is for roof repairs to the flat roof above dated march 2011 (which previous owner was in dispute with the council for). The council are saying we are liable for this work as the debt stays with the property.

Also there are.Est service charges for july - sept 2012....

We did not complete all paperwork untill january...

My question is are we liable for a debt as old as march 2011 which the previous owner still lived here for at least another year untill march 2012...?.....

Thanks for any help...

Nope. None of your concern. :) The muppets at the council are probably pestering you as they know they cant track down the previous owner.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• 2 weeks later...

If you have purchased this property then your solicitor should have asked questions about disputes and unpaid bills and any arrears should have been deducted from the monies paid to the previous owner/occupier when you purchased, so that you got the property debt free. Go back to your conveyancing solicitor and ask what this is all about and get them to sort it out, that is what you paid them to do! If there is a debt which you are now liable for (I am not saying that you are) and they have missed it, then you have a claim against your solicitor!