Cabot bought unenforceable debt

MrSponge
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4006 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. :-)

Good point. I think I see where you're coming from.

I was just looking to get the default removed which it will after a couple of years in any case.

What you're saying is that in addition to that I should not acknowledge the debt so that it gets stat barred as well in due time, and I don't end up resetting the clock by offering a F & F (?)

So just do as I advised in post#2 Mr Sponge? :-)

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Just for clarifiaction, your saying that if you send an F&F letter it resets the SB clock? Even if you state in the letter that you dont acknowledge it and you mark the letter 'Without Predjudice'?

Surely having a default against your file could cause more problems than simply paying the debt off without the correct paperwork? I know its certainly cost me more money to fight the debt than it would have to just pay it off, but its the principle!

Just for clarifiaction, your saying that if you send an F&F letter it resets the SB clock? Even if you state in the letter that you dont acknowledge it and you mark the letter 'Without Predjudice'?

Surely having a default against your file could cause more problems than simply paying the debt off without the correct paperwork? I know its certainly cost me more money to fight the debt than it would have to just pay it off, but its the principle!

If you don't acknowledge there is a debt, how can you then turn round and offer F&F?

• 1 month later...
If you don't acknowledge there is a debt, how can you then turn round and offer F&F?

For the reason I stated, regardless of them having any proof to the debt they still mark your credit file and this has knock on affects on your ability to get loans/mortgages etc at decent rates, it ends up being cheaper to offer them a settlement to clear the alledged debt and move on. Also if you did not come to an aggrement with F&F and all correspondance was marked 'without predjudice' how would they prove that in court? They are not able to produce it as evidence.Dont get me wrong i'm not disagreeing with you, i'm asking for clarification.

Hi I believe that the account stays on your CRA files for 6 years after last payment or default whichever comes first so it may not make any difference making a F&F offer the CRA still reports the accounts status upto the 6 years.

dpick

Whenever you negotiate a f&f, you must make sure that the main part of it is that the lender will remove ALL negative markers from your file or the entire entry itself. Without his the f&f is worthless.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

It depends on the reason for the F&F. If it's to clean up your credit file, absolutely.

Problem is that if you have an account with a default two years ago and you do nothing, it will disappear in 4 years time. However if you come to an agreement and pay off some of the outstanding, that

will be marked on you credit file when you make the payment and stay there for another 6 years. In addition, you would have to ensure that they didn't sell on the debt to another company if the F&F wasn't drawn up in a foolproof way.

From a moral point of view it would be better to have paid something off the debt, but from almost any other angle, it would arguably be better to leave well alone. Maybe one day creditors will come to

realise that their pigheadedness over the way they report on credit files can act against them in such circumstances.