Left stranded by The AA, but no money back!

MAN1972
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3977 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was left stranded last night on the A4, one of the main archeries into London, after my car broke down at 19:00 on the inside lane of the A4, near Hogarthroundabout, causing a major traffic hazard.

The advisor told me my call would be a prioity, due to the circumstances and I was informed that I would be recoved within an hour. Two and half hours, I was still there until another garage I contacted recovered me (the short story).

No customer services department to speak to, or anyone skilled to understand my frustration. I have been told if I cancel my membership I will not receive my money back.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and can anyone advise how to get a refund?

M

Hi Man and welcome to CAG

Very frustrating and annoying...Firstly request a copy of their complaints procedure and get that lodged.Include the expense of having to arrange alternative recovery. We can take it from there once you have received a response.

Did you take out your membership direct or through your insurance.....one payment or monthly ?

Regards

Andy

Thread moved to General Motoring Issues

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for replying:

I paid up front in full and I am waiting on a call from one of the line manages in their referrals department. The call was due at 12:00.

Also, I called their hotline 4 times last night, each time it took approx. 5 mins to get through. In the end they contracted a 3rd party company that were due to be with me at 20:20, but did not turn up until 21:23, 20 mins after I cancelled the job.

It did not help that it was a few dials off freezing last night and that my car was in the near side lane of a three lane A road.

M

oP CANCELLED JOB HER SELF SO WHY NOW COMPLAIN ABOUT IT ?

It seems to me that the OP cancelled the job due to the AAs failure to deliver.

To be stuck on the A4 at the Hogarth Roundabout must have been unbelievably scary as the road is still very busy at that time.

Why would I not make a complaint, I feel that The AA have taken my money and not provided me a proffessional service. I might add; that I am still waiting for a call back, some 6 hours later!

Why would I not make a complaint, I feel that The AA have taken my money and not provided me a proffessional service. I might add; that I am still waiting for a call back, some 6 hours later!

In your position I would be complaining too.

Yes, I was an exsisting member and I they cancelled the job once I informed them that I had paid a local garage. I just written a formal letter of complaint and will up date the post with their reply.

Thought this might help others;

To whom it may concern:

Thisletter is to complain about service I recently received from The AA customer. Icalled The AA breakdown number at 19:06 on February 18, 2013, because my car hadbroken down on the A4, near to the Hogarth roundabout, at rush hour. Iexplained to the advisor that my car was in a dangerous position and I was toldthat my call would be a priority and that an expert would be with me within thehour. I called again at 19:42 enquire how far away the driver was, I was thentold that a 3rd party had been instructed, but was delayed and wouldbe with me at 20:20. I received a call from the 3rd party at 20:14,informing me that they would be dispatching a driver and that he would he wouldbe another 40 mins, mins depending on the traffic from Pinner. I complained tothe advisor that this was not acceptable, especially as my car was in adangerous position on a busy road and also that the weather was just abovefreezing. I was informed that my call had not been passed to them as a priority,that The AA should have told me to walk to a warm place and wait for the driverto contact me. At this point I contacted a local garage and they recovered mycar within 20 minutes. I then called The AA operator at 21:04 to cancel thejob. The 3rd party tried to contact me at 21:23, some 2 hours, 17minutes after my initial call. Needless to say, I was quite frustrated.

Thismorning I contacted the number for customer relations I was given the previousevening (08442 090556). Once through to this number I spoke to XXXXX and said that I wanted to cancel my membership and have my moneyrefunded. At no point did Stephanie take the time to understand my complaintand said that I would not get a refund. At this point I asked to speak to amanager, which XXXXX refused. I ended the call in frustration and triedanother number. This time I spoke to a lady called XXXXX and at first seemedmore helpful, until my name and membership number were inputted into the CRMsystem. Once the notes were brought up, XXXX said that I had just spoken toone of her colleagues. At this point I feel she became defensive and asked tobe put through to a manager. Whilst holding, I found it ironic that the recordedmessage played “constantly trying to improve our service”. XXXX came back onthe line, said that there was only one manager on the floor and that he wouldcall me back at 12:00. I then ended the call. At the time of writing 16:20 Istill have not received a call back.

Iexpected a much higher level of service from your company, and I am very disappointed.Because I do not want to spend any more time on this problem, I want to cancelmy membership, and I expect a full refund. I will be informing my friends andfamily about this experience, as well as posting a thread on The ConsumerAction Group website etc..

Sincerely,

It seems to me that the OP cancelled the job due to the AAs failure to deliver.

To be stuck on the A4 at the Hogarth Roundabout must have been unbelievably scary as the road is still very busy at that time.

That is true, and I don't mean this to be any defence as to how the AA have handled this - but I did have to go down that stretch to the Hogarth Roundabout on the night in question and the average speed was around 8MPH across all lanes due to an accident towards Hammersmith, so I can't imagine it would've been easy to get a van down there and would've suspected that it might take longer than usual (I think it took me over an hour from the M25 to the roundabout).

A bit more communication would've been in order from the AA though

Your right to complain= the service was not supplied for which a contract between the two of you had.

I would have thought there was a contract. I am also sure the AA would have told the op that they were busy and also would have given the op a estimated time with updates. This is where the AA were going by their contract. The third party recovery also fits in. The op then states after recovery i phoned the AA to cancel the job. So op is saying they relieved the AA of any obligations under their contract. What is the gripe about ? Also if the car was in a dangerous situation why did the op not call 999 and alert the police ? This would have got things moving very fast.

So whats cooking today ?

I would have thought there was a contract. I am also sure the AA would have told the op that they were busy and also would have given the op a estimated time with updates. This is where the AA were going by their contract. The third party recovery also fits in. The op then states after recovery i phoned the AA to cancel the job. So op is saying they relieved the AA of any obligations under their contract. What is the gripe about ? Also if the car was in a dangerous situation why did the op not call 999 and alert the police ? This would have got things moving very fast.

Well they did relieve AA of their commitment then.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Well they did relieve AA of their commitment then.

Calling a recovery truck out etc on your own back and then cancelling the call is solely down to the op. Even the other way around. Cancelling the call and then calling a recovery truck. Same thing. Op should have waited for the AA. They would have updated him/her every so often.

So whats cooking today ?

I was left stranded last night on the A4, one of the main archeries into London, after my car broke down at 19:00 on the inside lane of the A4, near Hogarthroundabout, causing a major traffic hazard.

The advisor told me my call would be a prioity, due to the circumstances and I was informed that I would be recoved within an hour. Two and half hours, I was still there until another garage I contacted recovered me (the short story).

No customer services department to speak to, or anyone skilled to understand my frustration. I have been told if I cancel my membership I will not receive my money back.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and can anyone advise how to get a refund?

M

Hello MAN1972, there are a number of points raised in your post that we would very much like to discuss with you. Please could you email into us, our address is [email protected] and title your email Reference FOR35701. We look forward to hearing from you. The AA

• 3 months later...
Hello MAN1972, there are a number of points raised in your post that we would very much like to discuss with you. Please could you email into us, our address is and title your email Reference FOR35701. We look forward to hearing from you. The AA

You can check the appalling reply that has taken three months to receive from Member Relations - CS/3802589

Andrew P - I can assure you the average speed was not 8 mph, unless you were joining traffic light que. I am sure you would of seen my car stranded with an accident triangle displayed between 1900-2100