• Tweets

• Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
    • Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! edit ok thanks Honeybee here's my 2nd (actually 3rd) attempt at anonymising, copying and uploading the notice! Sorry about the state of it - I sat on it while distracted by my dog 🙃 pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
    • ROFL - dont get upset just because someone (quite a lot of someones) dont want smart meters - well unless you get paid for it .. in which case ...   I assume you haven't been with Octopus long enough to be on one of the very long fixed price tariffs they offered before the prices went bonkers .. and that you dont use your electricity in the evening/lunch time if you think the 'agile type tariffs are good value .. let alone worth installing a smart meter for - high price a good disincentive for an evening cuppa eh? Let alone all your computer/tv etc time in the peak price evening or lunch time. - and boy do those peak prices instantly hammer your bill when those Russian and middle eastern issues kick off.   I would only have considered a smart meter if solar panels had been an option for me - but roof is oriented completely the wrong way. Oh - and My opinion hasn't changed since the smart meter trials 40 years ago, because neither have the issues (well not enough) but I'm happy for you. Be happy for me.
    • Hi. I'm afraid I've had to hide your post with the pdf files to keep this anonymous for you. You've left the PCN reference number and your car reg showing. Could you edit that and repost please? HB    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Daughter Suspended as accused of stealing

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4076 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter has been accused of stealing the days takings are the club she works in. They say she was fiddling with her sleeve on the CCTV and they cant see her actually put the money in the safe, but saw her go to it.

She has a meeting on Weds and they say she has to give them a satisfactory explanation of what happened to the money!!! They have also told her who she bring and thats another young girl and cant take the older guy and they have told her not to discuss it with him.

Her grandad is a retired union rep, is he allowed to go with her and also what should she be asking and doing, nothing like this has ever happened to any of us before so no idea what to do

My daughter has been accused of stealing the days takings are the club she works in. They say she was fiddling with her sleeve on the CCTV and they cant see her actually put the money in the safe, but saw her go to it.

She has a meeting on Weds and they say she has to give them a satisfactory explanation of what happened to the money!!! They have also told her who she bring and thats another young girl and cant take the older guy and they have told her not to discuss it with him.

Her grandad is a retired union rep, is he allowed to go with her and also what should she be asking and doing, nothing like this has ever happened to any of us before so no idea what to do

Does she have a contract with this club? The only reason she couldn't take in the older guy and not discuss it with him, is if he is classed as a witness to any alleged wrongdoing.

I'm presuming this meeting is an investigatory meeting and not a disciplinary?

And whilst I believe you are allowed a trade union rep present, i'm not sure if that extends to retired union reps. I'm sure somebody will be along soon with the answer to that!

She does have a contract cos one of the things they mentioned in the letter they claimed was in her contract, she said its not. That was about the place to cash up. I have told her challenge it. Trouble is she lives away from me but she has no one else really for support

Depending on what level meeting it is, she should be entitled to everything that they have by way of evidence, witness statements, till receipts, journal rolls, cctv - she should have a copy of everything. This allows her to build a defence on the allegations. Maybe she needs to ask.

She has just rang them and told them she wants to see all the CCTV and the guy was adamant he hadnt missed anything and a bit funny about it but she insisted and he has agreed she can see the whole lot. He has also agreed to her having the older guy with her, although when she told him her grandad was a union rep he got a little flustered...lol.

She said she was called into the office before her shift yesterday and told but they let her do her shift and then put the letter through her door today suspending her. So she was good enough to work as they wouldnt have been able to cover her shift very easily yesterday

She has just rang them and told them she wants to see all the CCTV and the guy was adamant he hadnt missed anything and a bit funny about it but she insisted and he has agreed she can see the whole lot. He has also agreed to her having the older guy with her, although when she told him her grandad was a union rep he got a little flustered...lol.

She said she was called into the office before her shift yesterday and told but they let her do her shift and then put the letter through her door today suspending her. So she was good enough to work as they wouldnt have been able to cover her shift very easily yesterday

Then they have already gone against the grain.

If they have evidence to suggest gross misconduct (bad enough to be sacked), then she should have been suspended WITHOUT DELAY.

I would tell her to go back to the boss, say that she wants a physical copy of everything they intend to use as evidence, including cctv, and that she will need 24 hours from receiving the evidence before she will attend the meeting. If this means putting it back, then so be it. Also ensure she is being suspended on full pay pending investigation.

If she's been there under a year, they don't need to follow any process at all I'm afraid. I would strongly suggest checking her contract for her start date - as if it has crept to 51 weeks or more, she has full employment rights and protection from unfair dismissal.

Hi

This link to ACAS may be of use: www.acas.org.uk/

And these PDFs from ACAS and info on CCTV:

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

On a slightly different tack, who has keys to the safe ( if combination lock who knows the combination and can it be determined by watching someone else via the CCTV), where are they kept if there is a signing in system and who else has access to them? Do these same people have access to the CCTV or other security systems. Has anyone left the employ or management of the club who would have had access to the safe or other security systems? Who does the stocktake and how often? Any problems there in the past? Who does the food and drink orders? Does she know what the turnover in cash is for the club and what is the surplus. reason for asking these things is that in these straitened times some people will go to great lengths to keep a business going. It may benefit the club financially to suffer a theft as long as they find a culprit.

I used to be a club secretary for over 20 years and I have never heard of such a way of going about things regarding disciplinaries or investigations. Elsewhere in the licenced trade things would be even more prescribed. Something smells wrong here and a few questions need answering with regard to more than just procedure.

Seen her contract and she has only been there 6 1/2 months.

So are you saying she has no rights to fight this slur against her name cos she has only worked there a short time.

Ericsbrother, its under £500 so dont think its a case of keeping the business going, but I will get her to ask the questions you suggested

Seen her contract and she has only been there 6 1/2 months.

So are you saying she has no rights to fight this slur against her name cos she has only worked there a short time.

Ericsbrother, its under £500 so dont think its a case of keeping the business going, but I will get her to ask the questions you suggested

No, unfortunately no rights at all. The employer doesn't even need to follow any kind of disciplinary procedure. However, the fact that they are following a process in the circumstances could be a positive thing - they could have just sacked her on the spot and paid her notice period, so perhaps they are trying to be reasonable.

No, unfortunately no rights at all. The employer doesn't even need to follow any kind of disciplinary procedure. However, the fact that they are following a process in the circumstances could be a positive thing - they could have just sacked her on the spot and paid her notice period, so perhaps they are trying to be reasonable.

That is so wrong then, she can have this against her for the rest of her life and there is nothing she can do about it. This is still defamation of character

That is so wrong then, she can have this against her for the rest of her life and there is nothing she can do about it. This is still defamation of character

It won't be the rest of her life, it's only likely to be relevant for a short period of time.

There's no defamation here - not yet, anyway!

She will need to see the CCTV from the time she was at the safe until the time the theft was reported to another person by the person who discovered the theft. As you say, she doesnt want a bad mark on her employment record and even £500 missing will knock 100 quid off the company VAT bill not to mention other tax liabilities and be a good sum in someone's pocket.