• Tweets

• Agree it is not a modification that needs to be disclosed to Insurers as changing the seats has not changed the risk.  
    • Frpm David Frost and Robert Jenrick: 'Conservatives must show we respect the votes in 2016 and 2019 and not give the Opposition the chance to undo the benefits of leaving the EU'   Sweep away the Brexit gloom – or Labour will unravel a huge gain ARCHIVE.PH archived 22 Apr 2024 05:47:50 UTC  
    • Please please help we were miss sold full fibre by EE July 22  Install couldn’t go ahead no equipment sent and no. Survey it was hell  foind out no full fibre in road so we had to go back to cooper no choice we involved. Ceo and they put in a man from customer resolution s  he was vile he told me I had to go to engineers  something very odd about the ex resolution s in bt basically they took my drive up said they Would put ducting in ready for full fibre we have got £ 40 for a hours upon hours phones stress and more told to go to ombudsman  then bill was £35 we called twice told it was that price as they had treated us appalling two weeks later all sky package gets pulled we call again our bill goes to 165 the next two weeks was hell trying to get yo bottom why it’s off our package it was all on in the end I spent a day on the phone  341 mins was the call anyway I got to the bottom it was this resolution man coveting up the other issue another deadlock  to cover it all up  they hide data  ee did so couldn’t get the miss sell in writing I have now only from sept  Basically now we tried getting full fibre and they have found my drive had to be taken up again which has sunk .  The engineer has placed the wrong ducting again under my drive and need s to be taken to again apparently and the pipe sticks up middle of the drive near gate not behind look so odd it’s a big as a drain pipe open to water and it’s below touching the electrical cables to hot tub . I was sent a letter from the ex resolution to say I had stopped the work  I haven’t  it’s so sadistic she covering up for her mate in that team as the orginal install he didn’t check it had been done correctly  I took to Twitter and posted on open reach they ignored me then after 3 calls of two weeks they sent a engineer bt ignored me ceo emails blocked tag on Twitter unanswered then we get someone from twitter send a engineer he written report to say it’s dangerous since we have  had a  letter to say our problem can not be resolved  then a email to say sorry we are leaving and we can’t get into our account Bt will not talk to us ofcom tells us nothing they can do Citzens advice said go to the police  we can’t go back to virgin due so mass issue with them only option is sky  but point is they make out we have canceled we haven’t we have this mess on our drive dangeous work we are in hell  it’s like she covering up for this collegue it’s all very odd I am disabled and they like played mentaly with me open reach say bt resolved the issue no they have not  I recon they have terminated us making our we have  to hide it from mgt  Help it’s hell I don’t sleep we have 29 may we have tried  calling they just ignore me  at first they are so lovely as they say I am then they go to nnamager and say we can’t say anything to you end call  Scared police are rubbish I need help even typing is so painfull  Thankyou  anyone hello be so grateful     
    • There's a thread somewhere about someone sending the baillifs against Wizzair that is quite hilarious. I would love to see someone do the same to Ryanair. Question is, should you be the one to take that role. You are entitled to the £220, if your flight was from the UK. If it was TO the UK I suppose it is more of a grey area... though the airlines I know have been using £220 as standard. Not that surprising for Ryanair, the worst cheapskates in the universe, to go for the lower amount, and if you forward this to the CEO he will probably have a jolly good laugh and give his accountants a verbal bonus. After all he's the one who said and I paraphrase "F*** our customers, they'll fly with us again anyway". While we would all love to see Ryanair get wooped in court again, I have to join my fellow posters in thinking it's not worth the hassle for (hypothetically) £7 and not sure it will expedite the payment either. It's already an achievement that you got them to accept to pay.
    • The US competition watchdog has taken legal action to stop Tapestry's $8.5bn takeover of rival Capri.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Falsely Accused of Shoplifting

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3965 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband and i had been in a particular Tesco store quite a few times as i had been looking for a Stylus for my Samsung phone. Different staff had helped by using various styluses including one for Samsung but none had worked. They mentioned something about having a Universal one i could try but was currently out of stock and said on 2 occasions they would give me a call when this particular one cme in. They never called.

Anyway one evening last month myself and my husband had gone into the same store. We had been out for the whole day but i wanted to go to the store to get a few things for work the next day. We ended up being in the store for a long time as i was looking at clothes. Also one customer had asked me what i thought of a particular jacket that was for sale there so we hd a long chat.

We were just about to go an pay for our shopping when i remembered i wanted to go and look at the Styluses.

I have a multitude of medical conditions including M.E so feel very drained much of the time but i always make the mistake of pushing myself too much/far..

We went over to look at the styluses. I noticed there was one there (Universal) which was in an unopened box. When i say unopened i mean the box was not sealed, taped etc. Obviously had the box been sealed i wouldnt have dreamt of trying to open it.. I knew i needed to try it on my phone to see if it worked. As it was after 1.00am by this time and there were no staff about to ask i took the stylus from the box and tried it on my phone. As with what happens with M.E i felt by this time more drained than ever and knew i was so tired i needed to go and thought i would look at the stylus another time.

I gave the stylus to my husband and said "can you put this back, i am feeling very drained i need to go" and walked away. Unbeknown to me my husband thought i was giving him one of my pens as i am always doing this eg giving him my car keys and much more so he was used to mehanding him things. We were both half asleep. He put the pen in his pocket and put the box on the shelf.

We paid for our shopping which came to £70.00 and then proceeded to leave (unbeknown to me he had the pen in his pocket).

As much as i can see what this perhaps looks like it was a genuine mistake on my husbands part. He may be Absent minded but he is not a thief.

We of course were collared by members of staff and taken into a back room. One of the staff kept continuously saying to me "you have done nothing wrong". They wouldnt allow my husband to speak to explain what happened. We were shouted at and received the most horrendous abuse. I explained all i had done was give the pen to my husband as at the point i was completely drained.

The Security guard who had previously been aware i had been looking for a stylus pushed me when i asked what i had done. he said we are accusing you of aiding and abetting.and pushed me. I said i had done nothing wrong. One of the staff searched our bag ad asked if we had stolen anything else. Of course we hadnt!

They called the Police and as i have never been in trouble in my life i asked for a lawyer. One Police officer said i didnt need a lawyer as i wasnt been charged with anything. Also the member of staff who had repeatedly said i had done nothing wrong took my clubcard and i was told i was banned from the shop. When i explained i had taken the pen out the box as the box was open and not taped, sealed etc one Police Officer informed me it was still stealing.

They wouldnt let him speak and one of the sraff said to him where is it? My hsuband thinking he had my pen and nothing else told them he didnt have anything. When he realized what they were talking about he took it out and said "do you mesn this? i thought it was my wifes pen" They wouldnt allow him to speak.

I have never stole anything in my life let alone been in trouble and in fact all my friends say i am too honest for my own good. I have been shopping in Tesco for over 40 years and this has never happened. Neither myself or my husband have ever been in trouble.

I have recently received a letter from head Office saying that after investigation the Manager of the store acted appropriately and that we had a "Pending Charge" and were also banned from the store from life.

I cant sleep properly since this happened as i have not done anything wrong and am worried sick when i apply for future jobs this "Pending Charge" will show up in a Pre Employment check.especially as i work in Banking.

I have spoken to a few different lawyers about this. Each one tells me something different regarding the checks. They all have also said that they may forget about it, take it to court or give us a fine. My husband had been absent minded. He is neither a thief nor stupid and why would he try to take a pen when we had all the shopping and also knew there were cameras everywhere.

This has come as the icing on the cake after a serious of nightmares which have taken place since we moved here including the fact my car got broken in which incidentally the police cant do anything about.My husband didnt even get a chance to explain what had happened. After being told i wasnt being charged with anything another police officer came in after speaking to the staff in private said he was also charging me with theft. I said on what grounds what have i done? Show me the CCTV which no-one would. He said" i will save it for Court". So he had charged me but couldnt tell me why> Why would my husband try to take a pen worth a measley 10.00 when we had paid 70.00 for shopping.

I am living my life wondering what is going to happen next and wondering why i am having all this bad luck as i havent done any harm to anyone in my life.

Edited by Aicha

Hi, I have moved your thread to the correct forum, where I am sure someone will be able to advise.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

.After a member of staff stating i hadnt done anything wrong and a PO saying i didnt need aa lawyer i wasnt going to be charged, another PO came after speaking to the staff in private and said he was charging me with theft. I said on what grounds. He wouldnt tell me and said he would save it for Court

Hi, I have moved your thread to the correct forum, where I am sure someone will be able to advise.

Thanks

Which Forum as i couldnt find one in relation to my Query

Edited by Aicha

what do you mean by charged?

or was this a verbal warning.

what what date did this all happen?

whatever you do DO NOT repond to any letter ftom RLP

claiming money for tescos.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

have the police charged you in the police station with theft or have you received a summons through the post

Please see my reply below. We are waiting for a letter to let us know what they intend doing about it it will clearly be the decision of the PF. They didnt take us to the Station

what do you mean by charged?

or was this a verbal warning.

what what date did this all happen?.

whatever you do DO NOT repond to any letter ftom RLP

claiming money for tescos.

dx

whats RLP? cant remember exact date was mid Jan. I mean the officer came back after speaking to staff and said he was charging me also with theft. (After the member of staff said id done nothing wrong and after another officer informed me i wouldnt be charged) Before this several Police officers had said to me "we are not charging you with anything" when i had said i want a lawyer.

Edited by Aicha

no

they [the police] decide what if ANYTHING they are going to do.

they could forget about

they could arrest you both or either for theft and fwd it to the CPS

the CPS will decide if it goes to court..

they police could give you both/either a formal warning .

IMHO i would sit on your hands

its been poss a month already.

looking good

have a read of a few threads here in the forum you are in

and read up on RLP too.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

no

they [the police] decide what if ANYTHING they are going to do.

they could forget about

they could arrest you both or either for theft and fwd it to the CPS

the CPS will decide if it goes to court..

they police could give you both/either a formal warning .

IMHO i would sit on your hands

its been poss a month already.

looking good

have a read of a few threads here in the forum you are in

and read up on RLP too.

dx

Thanks D x Its difficult playing the waiting game and also being worried about future pre employment checks

in MY opinion i doubt if you'll hear anything more on this from the police

they certainly dont bother with even warning people that actually steal £100's worth of stuff

so i cant see them wanting to waste time on a £10 bit of plastic

that the retailer got back.

i warn you now.

you WILL get letters from RLP

claiming anything from £80 up to £137.50

for compensation to 'their' client.

THEY ARE NOT THE COURTS

they have NO LEGAL POWERS to demand anything from you.

DO NOT respond to them in anyway shape or form

unless the guys here recommend it.

my bet is on the police front you'll just get told they are taking no further action.

dx

and they

in MY opinion i doubt if you'll hear anything more on this from the police

they certainly dont bother with even warning people that actually steal £100's worth of stuff

so i cant see them wanting to waste time on a £10 bit of plastic

that the retailer got back.

i warn you now.

you WILL get letters from RLP

claiming anything from £80 up to £137.50

for compensation to 'their' client.

THEY ARE NOT THE COURTS

they have NO LEGAL POWERS to demand anything from you.

DO NOT respond to them in anyway shape or form

unless the guys here recommend it.

my bet is on the police front you'll just get told they are taking no further action.

dx

Thanks. I wrote the letter to Head \office on 17/01/13 and it was about a week after the incident so i reckon it happened somewhere between the 7-13 January. but a lawyer i spoke to said it can take up to 3 months to hear anything back

as i said looking good then!

dx

and they

Hi Aicha,

I doubt very highly that you will hear anything from the police or the courts in relation to this matter. For low value thefts that fit a certain criteria, police officers are urged to resolve using £80 fixed penalty notices. Presuming that you have been honest about your past - your case would have fit perfectly, no previous theft convictions, able to pay the fine, low value theft with no aggravating factors etc (there may have been a factor about health and your ME, but I believe that it is only mental conditions that affect the issuance of a PND, and forgive me if I'm wrong but ME is similar to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is it not). IF the police were to take any action I am almost certain it would have been an £80 PND.

IMO I believe the police consider this NFA, and have left Tesco to deal with it by civil means - RLP.

Were you cautioned? Were you arrested? Like the other members said, brace yourself for a letter from RLP - when you see the amounts they demand they can shock, but follow the good advice set down by dx100uk with regards to dealing with RLP.

Hi Aicha,

I doubt very highly that you will hear anything from the police or the courts in relation to this matter. For low value thefts that fit a certain criteria, police officers are urged to resolve using £80 fixed penalty notices. Presuming that you have been honest about your past - your case would have fit perfectly, no previous theft convictions, able to pay the fine, low value theft with no aggravating factors etc (there may have been a factor about health and your ME, but I believe that it is only mental conditions that affect the issuance of a PND, and forgive me if I'm wrong but ME is similar to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is it not). IF the police were to take any action I am almost certain it would have been an £80 PND.

IMO I believe the police consider this NFA, and have left Tesco to deal with it by civil means - RLP.

Were you cautioned? Were you arrested? Like the other members said, brace yourself for a letter from RLP - when you see the amounts they demand they can shock, but follow the good advice set down by dx100uk with regards to dealing with RLP.

Hi Thank you for your reply.

If you mean by arrested were we taken to the Police station then no.

Several officers had said to me they werent charging me with anything.

One member of staff said i hadnt done anything wrong but still took my clubcard which is no big deal.

They then went to speak to the staff in private.

After they came back one officer said to me

"in fact we are chargoing YOU Also with theft. I asked on what grounds as i had handed my pen to my husband and had walked away.

he wouldnt tell me he just said "We are saving it for Court".

How can several officers first say they are not charging me with anything then about 20 minutes later one officer says they are.

As i have mentioned even the member of staff repeatedly said to me "you havent done anything wrong".

At the point when i said i want a lawyer. Several officers had said "You are welcome to call one but we are not charging you with anything".

I now know what RLP is.

The letter i received back from Head Office was in fact a very nice letter which is strange considering they are accusing us of theft.

Makes me wonder if they are actually sure the store have their facts right.

I asked to see the CCTV and was refused.

They then went to speak to the staff in private. After they came back one officer said to me "in fact we are chargoing YOU Also with theft. I asked on what grounds as i had handed my pen to my husband and had walked away. he wouldnt tell me he just said "We are saving it for Court".

A Police Officer cannot make the decision if and when to charge, the Crown Prosecution Service do, effectively - all the police can do is arrest you for an alleged offence, investigate it, interview you, gather evidence and present it to the CPS to decide whether there is a case and a public interest to charge you. This obviously has not been done. So I doubt very highly you are going to be charged with an offence. Were you cautioned? i.e. Did either the Tesco security staff or the Police officer say to you a long sentence starting "You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you fail to mention...."

Also, you are entitled to see any CCTV in which you appear by submitting a Subject Access Request.

A Police Officer cannot make the decision if and when to charge, the Crown Prosecution Service do, effectively - all the police can do is arrest you for an alleged offence, investigate it, interview you, gather evidence and present it to the CPS to decide whether there is a case and a public interest to charge you. This obviously has not been done. So I doubt very highly you are going to be charged with an offence. Were you cautioned? i.e. Did either the Tesco security staff or the Police officer say to you a long sentence starting "You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you fail to mention...."

Also, you are entitled to see any CCTV in which you appear by submitting a Subject Access Request.

That is a very good point. No we werent cautioned.

That is a very good point. No we werent cautioned.

In that case I'm almost certain that the Police have taken no action whatsoever. As hard as it may be, I would chalk this up to experience, attempt to draw a line under it and move on. There will be no record of the incident as far as the police are concerned, although your days of shopping at Tesco will probably be over.

Unfortunately nothing can be done about this as any retail premises is private property. They extend an invitation for people to come and shop in their stores. This invitation can be withdrawn at any time, and no reason is required for doing so. Theft or no theft.

Just watch out for the civil recovery letter that will inevitably arrive from Retail Loss Prevention Ltd, and when you get it, follow the advice given by dx100uk.

In that case I'm almost certain that the Police have taken no action whatsoever. As hard as it may be, I would chalk this up to experience, attempt to draw a line under it and move on. There will be no record of the incident as far as the police are concerned, although your days of shopping at Tesco will probably be over.

Unfortunately nothing can be done about this as any retail premises is private property. They extend an invitation for people to come and shop in their stores. This invitation can be withdrawn at any time, and no reason is required for doing so. Theft or no theft.

Just watch out for the civil recovery letter that will inevitably arrive from Retail Loss Prevention Ltd, and when you get it, follow the advice given by dx100uk.

Ok thank you for your help. I was informed i could go to any other Tesco store except that one although after what has happened it has put me off them for life. Thanks for trying to help. Much appreciated.

• 3 months later...

as a retail security officer it really irritates me to read stories like this where staff just go to far and over step their role.

Firstly you should not have been searched or any item of property been searched by any member of staff, the only person who possesses the power of search is a Police Officer not a security officer who has exactly the same powers as anyone else on the street. I have known some members of the public who have been searched by a security officer to claim assault which in theory it is.

Whilst yes I would have probably stopped and detained you regarding the stylus as it could be considered as theft I would have considered all factors such as the reasoning, which in this incident seems extremely plausible. who doesn't put a pen in a pocket?

Personally I think you have nothing to worry about and worst case the supermarket have lost two customers, their loss not yours :)

• Haha 1

great post!

dx

and they