Barclays and LIBOR

MRSO63
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4078 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm new and maybe in the wrong place but I'm sure someone will help me there.

We started a business with a loan from Barclays. The business plan showed a period of 3-4 years to go into profit. It involved converting a country house into self catering holiday accomodation. During the six months it took to sell and purchase properties the interest rate doubled. We were on target time wise and were due to open in the summer, as in the plan. Obviously we were struggling with repayments and had extended the overdraft. On the Friday of a bank holiday weekend we received a letter out of the blue informing us that,words to the effect, 'in our best interests', they had frozen our account. We were still building, so couldn't open and if we sold, we would have lost thousands - and we had four children and nowhere to go.

The interest rate being charged was around 20%. The year was 1987.

Now I know this is probably too long ago (not long enough as I am sweating thinking about it again) - but

Appropos LIBOR fixing I am sure I heard that it has been going on for ages and had influenced those excessive interest rates in the 80's. My question is, if it did and if B did, would the likes of me be entitled to a piece of compensation that sufferers from the last decade will no doubt be getting?

Our business never recovered and although we ran it for fourteen years it was always at a loss and had to be subsidised by salaried employment.

Hi MRSO63 and welcome to CAG

If the business was still running, or had been running during at least some of the last 6 years, you'd probably have a better chance of seeking justice and compensation.

But, as all this relates to 10 to 20 years back, I fear you'd struggle now to make a decent case against the bank.

Maybe others will think differently ....................

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks. Thought might be the case.

I wouldn't give up on this. Libor manipulation is essentially fraud and had been going on for long time. I wouldn't be able to recommend you which legal path to undertake, but I am sure more will come out soon and a new host of lawyers will specialize on Libor fraud repayments. Expect to see adverts of legal firms on most popular tv channels, same as they did for the PPI cases.

The only problem is that the FSA and its predecessor did all they could to hide the extant of the scandal and most of the evidence has been washed away.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"