Refund for canceled tickets from eBookers

probe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3973 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear Friends,

I need help and advice to get back some refund of my canceled tickets from eBookers- UK.

We had gone for a family wedding to Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) in Dec 2012. After the wedding we decided to take a break and go to Hanoi (Vietnam) for 4 days. I booked 3 return tickets with eBookers (UK) on line from Kuala Lumpur to Hanoi for 3.12.12 and back on 7.12.12. E-Bookers charged us fare = 408 + Taxes and fees = 293, Total = 701. We paid this by credit card on line.

On 3.12.12 we checked-in on the Web and got our Boarding passes. At the Airport check-in we were not allowed to check-in as we did not have Vietnam VISAs. It was our stupidity to think that we did not need VISAs for Vietnam with our British Passports. However we had to come back. We then tried for the VISAs next day but were told that it will take 3 - 5 days. So we dropped the idea and informed eBookers and requested them to cancel our return flights. They kept saying that they are trying to contact the Airline. Eventually I contacted the airline and asked them to cancel.

I then asked the airline official in Kuala Lumpur for due refund. She told me that we were entitled for full refund minus 20 USD per ticket and should contact out ticket agents for this. I have got this on email. But eBookers are refusing to give us this refund saying that the airline have told them that we are not entitled as it was a 'no show' for the outgoing flight on 3.12.12. E-Bookers have calculated a refund of only 70 GBP (Total) for Taxes and are willing to refund this much.

I do not know who to believe and what to do next. I was expecting a full refund of my return flights and Tax refund on the outgoing tickets which we were not allowed to Board.

Please can some one advise us what can we do next to claim this back? Can IATA or ABTA interfere and help if we write to them? Or is there any other body who can deal with this issue?

Many Thanks:-).

Probe

Dear Friends,

I need help and advice to get back some refund of my canceled tickets from eBookers- UK.

We had gone for a family wedding to Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) in Dec 2012. After the wedding we decided to take a break and go to Hanoi (Vietnam) for 4 days. I booked 3 return tickets with eBookers (UK) on line from Kuala Lumpur to Hanoi for 3.12.12 and back on 7.12.12. E-Bookers charged us fare = 408 + Taxes and fees = 293, Total = 701. We paid this by credit card on line.

On 3.12.12 we checked-in on the Web and got our Boarding passes. At the Airport check-in we were not allowed to check-in as we did not have Vietnam VISAs. It was our stupidity to think that we did not need VISAs for Vietnam with our British Passports. However we had to come back. We then tried for the VISAs next day but were told that it will take 3 - 5 days. So we dropped the idea and informed eBookers and requested them to cancel our return flights. They kept saying that they are trying to contact the Airline. Eventually I contacted the airline and asked them to cancel.

I then asked the airline official in Kuala Lumpur for due refund. She told me that we were entitled for full refund minus 20 USD per ticket and should contact out ticket agents for this. I have got this on email. But eBookers are refusing to give us this refund saying that the airline have told them that we are not entitled as it was a 'no show' for the outgoing flight on 3.12.12. E-Bookers have calculated a refund of only 70 GBP (Total) for Taxes and are willing to refund this much.

I do not know who to believe and what to do next. I was expecting a full refund of my return flights and Tax refund on the outgoing tickets which we were not allowed to Board.

Please can some one advise us what can we do next to claim this back? Can IATA or ABTA interfere and help if we write to them? Or is there any other body who can deal with this issue?

Many Thanks:-).

Probe

Assuming the airline involved is Malaysia Airlines, you might like to acquaint yourself with their conditions of carriage here: http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/content/dam/mas/master/en/pdf/book-plan/general_conditions_of_carriage.pdf

You will find that reading sections 8.1.1 and 8.3 of those conditions means you are not entitled to a refund where the reason for the refusal to transport you is due to you not having the correct documentation i.e. Visas for your destination.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your helpful advice. It was Vietnam Airlines both ways booked through eBookers on line.

Any further suggestions, please?

Can IATA or ABTA in UK, interfere?

Probe

• 1 month later...

It was Vietnam Airline via eBookers.

Please can anyone advise if IATA or ABTA can intervene in this matter. If so then what is their address. I have tried looking but hey don't seem to give an address for customers to complain.

Also it is worth takin eBookers to small claims court for the refund?

Probe

Vietnam airways

Address: 7 Lower Grosvenor Pl, London, Greater London SW1W 0EN

Phone:020 3263 2062

have found this area of ticketing and refunds a minefield in the past. and trade bodies seem to say not them go to somebody else.

Edited by Old Cogger
:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

• 1 month later...