Volunteering work & negotiation for minimum wages

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4086 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Due to sickness I am trying to get a one day per week volunteering work.

However, all I have found are organizations that want me to work for full time (I have not told them about my sickness (chronic headache)).

Obviously, for the purpose to take zero risk, these potential employers want me to develop a software for them (since my previous jobs involved information technologies skills)....but all free.

Since I really do not know the rules for the volunteering work, i would like to know if i have to sign a contract (even they will not pay me) and have a mandatory period for working for them.

Presently I am claiming for Employment and Support Allowance (not received yet) (but may switch in next weeks to JSA if my health improve a bit more) and also I would like to know if the Department of Work and Pension will not refuse my benefits if i work full time or even once a week for volunteering work (2 months for software development).

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ps: All the three potential different employers I have found told me that the volunteering work could lead to a job.

Edited by MoonTop

Moontop i must be a bit stupid but in this and previous posts you use the word goal, what do you mean by this as I would use this word to describe either prison or goal as in scored a goal in a game of football?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Moontop i must be a bit stupid but in this and previous posts you use the word goal, what do you mean by this as I would use this word to describe either prison or goal as in scored a goal in a game of football?

Hello assisted blonde :) I don't think you're stupid at all. Moontop is French speaking and I speak the language a bit. I know it's a term s/he likes, having read other posts. I think in goal to means 'with the aim of' or 'with the objective of'. I'm sure MT will correct me if I'm wrong.

MT, I don't know who you've asked about voluntary work. When I volunteered, my psychiatrist recommended me to the local Volunteer Bureau. I was allowed to do this by the DWP whilst I was claiming Incapacity Benefit, the forerunner of ESA. I certainly didn't sign a contract or any paperwork, I was a volunteer, but this is a few years back.

As regards JSA, you would need to check with the Jobcentre to see if they agree with you doing this. If you have any questions about that, the benefits forum here is the place to ask.

My best, HB

Edited by honeybee13

Illegitimi non carborundum

Just to add. Your thread title mentions minumum wage.

This is not my area of expertise, but surely if you're paid, you're not a volunteer? And earnings will impact on your ESA as I understand it, although again this is a question for the benefits forum.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi Moontop,

I am signing on and I do some volunteering work. I believe that you used to be able to do full-time voluntary work and still claim JSA. I think things have changed and these days the limit is set at only16 hours a week.

The charity I work for is quite happy for me to do variable hours of my choosing and I don't have to be on-site. After all it is my time and effort.

I wouldn't be happy with an organisation telling me I had to work full-time for nothing. Why would they eventually pay you for full-time work when they can get you to do it for free?

You should check in with your local Job Centre. They could support you and help establish whether there is a really a chance of a paid full-time job at the end of it.

Good luck with the job hunting.

Hi,

I mean for the purpose

Hi Moontop,

I am signing on and I do some volunteering work. I believe that you used to be able to do full-time voluntary work and still claim JSA. I think things have changed and these days the limit is set at only16 hours a week.

The charity I work for is quite happy for me to do variable hours of my choosing and I don't have to be on-site. After all it is my time and effort.

I wouldn't be happy with an organisation telling me I had to work full-time for nothing. Why would they eventually pay you for full-time work when they can get you to do it for free?

You should check in with your local Job Centre. They could support you and help establish whether there is a really a chance of a paid full-time job at the end of it.

Good luck with the job hunting.

I was suffering a lot of harassment from my jobcentre (in addition to my landlord): my adviser was all the time trying to make me NOT sign (pretesting for example that his computer is over, give me just one job ad while in the system he had assigned two on my profile). Previously, I have applied to JSA that took a month and half before to receive any benefit (by using a citizen advice bureau).

However, since I refuse to be dependent to this kind of organization (dwp) I prefer to re-register for JSA instead of ESA (and try to find a job in the month) and to try to manage my sickness as I did during the last 6 years [eating chewing-gum all the times (due to headache), accupuncture (will need extra money for this...), etc...(presently I am however taking pain relief)].