What dongle is best for business?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4077 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Would anyone be able to advise me what dongle (or mobile broadband) is best for business in the West Sussex area. I have an O2 3G but it will not let me connect to a work vpn in Chichester or Midhurst. The company will get me another but I don't know which would work. Be grateful if anyone can help, have tried to search the internet but can't find the answers. Many thanks.

Definitely the way to go is get a giffgaff simcard.£12 per month for unlimited Internet.

The OP noted issues with O2, and giffgaff is a virtual operator ...... Using O2's network.

To the OP: was the issue O2's signal, or was the issue the use of a VPN?.

I don't know if giffgaff will allow VPN use any more or less than O2. Also, it may be worth asking O2 if there is a "business team" (in case they can offer a different APN for "business customers" that supports VPNs)

(I know that 'consumers' might equally want to use a VPN be that for security over an insecure link, wanting to appear to be in a certain country for content restriction reasons or any of the other myriad reasons, but sometimes the networks still see VPNs as a purely "business" user feature)

OP: who has the best signal (and in fact do any of the providers NOT have a good signal) where you plan to use it most?

You've tried O2 : if you can unlock your current dongle could you persuade your employer to let you try other providers on a PAYG basis until you find one that suits, so you aren't locked into a contract until you've found the 'right' provider?

You can get a '3' PAYG data SIM from a well known online retailer's site for £12 that gives you 3Gb usable over 3 months. I haven't tried using a VPN with one, though.

You can get a "Virgin" PAYG SIM on "Big Data" for £10 a month (as a top-up) that gives Internet (and leaves the £10 as calling credit). Don't tell Virgin its for a dongle rather than a smartphone as they don't officially support PAYG mobile broadband : it works fine though (though I haven't tried using a VPN though).

Virgin piggyback on EE's network (what used to be t-mobile / Orange)

I haven't yet needed to use Voda (for data) on my travels.

The one site I was at that had no signal for O2/3/t-mobile/Orange that had Voda signal I used a Voda PAYG for "voice" but there was wi-Fi for data.

Voda 's PAYG data costs were the least attractive of all the providers, and I was able to use a FON spot for wi-Fi access (a further option for you?)

Edited by BazzaS

Thanks for the answers. My O2 dongle does connect to internet but cannot support the vpn.

Will enquire if I can try the other mobile broadbands - good idea. Thanks again.

I found this :

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Devices-Nokia-Blackberry/Mobile-VPN-Service-Available/td-p/3840

(From 2008) that suggests there was an APN on O2 accessible to "business" mobile broadband customers.

If you have a dongle locked to O2, and reasonable O2 signal where you need it, is it worth asking O2's customer service +/- business team to see what (if anything) has changed since 2008 and if they can provision your account for VPN access to save having to try different providers?

I found this :

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Devices-Nokia-Blackberry/Mobile-VPN-Service-Available/td-p/3840

(From 2008) that suggests there was an APN on O2 accessible to "business" mobile broadband customers.

If you have a dongle locked to O2, and reasonable O2 signal where you need it, is it worth asking O2's customer service +/- business team to see what (if anything) has changed since 2008 and if they can provision your account for VPN access to save having to try different providers?

I will give that a go, thanks very much.