• Tweets

• Thanks very much Bank. I have topped and tailed my LOC and printed off a copy which I shall post tomorrow by First Class post at my local post office and also obtain a proof of postage. I'll also email them a copy. I've opened a MoneyClaim account, and shall now begin work on my draft Particulars of Claim which I shall post here for your thoughts. And I shan't be using the Moderation service.
    • Yes, it struck me this morning that I'd got it wrong    - no involvement of UKPPO in any previous Tesco thread    - there would have been an entrance sign to a Tesco car park    - CCTV isn't something associated with Tesco car parks. Presumably whoever runs the car park has put CCTV at the electric, and probably BB, areas, done absolutely nothing to stop abuse, and then rubs their hands in glee every time the CCTV catches a motorist out. You can pay £60 and this will go away. Or you can defy UKPPO and rely on their non-respect of POFA, consideration period, etc., should they be daft enough to do court later down the line.  We would support you all the way.
    • thats not the way to do it sorry. sorry so what is your problem? that vanquis paid the £560 or that they are now chasing it? how old is this debt? dx  
    • If you visited Qatar you could be detained at the border, if the debt has been notified.  If you are only in transit and do not seek to cross border into Qatar you might be ok, but you may want to seek formal advice about this.
    • Howdy, I had a short lived credit card with Vanquis that I did not need. I paid it off in full and called them and closed it with the person at the other end. 2 months later they started sending me messages about late payments, I called them and to find out that the card had not been closed in error and 6 weeks after it should have been closed they paid a google debit of £560. I hit the roof and made a formal complaint that took them well over a month to respond to. They agreed they were at fault, refunded all late payments fees and offered me £100 in compensation. However they said the debit amount stood as 'I had benefit from it' and I should get a refund from google. I hit the roof again but they have stuck to their guns. The debit from google is a genuine one but I wanted to dispute it with google so closed the card so they would have to engage with me. But surely that's neither here nor there surely? What is the next step? Ombudsman takes forever doesn't it?  thanks in advance
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Northern Rock - Property Already Repossessed Need Urgent Help Please

out_of_the_red
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4074 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I hope you can offer some advice on this, it's quite a long story but I'll try and keep it concise

My friends property was repossesed on Monday and he only found out when he got home and the locks were changed. He immediately contacted Northern Rock who first of all said if he cleared the arrears (approximately £1,100, two months arrears) and paid three months in advance he could get the house back. They then changed their mind on the phone after speaking to a different department and said they wouldn't accept any payments and the house was repossesed. The reason they gave was that it was because it was the second time they had put a repossesion order on the house. The previous one was served in roughly August 2012 and with help managed to get the £4,500.00 of arrears cleared and the repossesion stopped without going to court.

I have done lots of research and can see there is still some potential to get the property back but am struggling with what the next step should be. Everywhere I have read it says he should continue to make mortgage payments yet Northern Rock refused to take his money??!! He is seeking legal advice but finding solicitors are not calling him back, which is proving very frustrating.

He was also under considerable stress with his finances as the house had had a significant fire (total loss of the roof and roof timbers) and he only found out after the fire his insurance had lapsed. He spent a considerable sum of money trying to get the property inhabitable again and then ran out of money. He wasn't living in the property again until around August 2012 due to the condition of the house and was hopping between friends homes and that in itself has taken it's toll. The fire was also the reason why he fell into arrears last year.

Should he go to his doctor to have it put on file he is suffering with stress?

Should he be looking to file an injunction to stop the sale of the house first?

Thank you for your help

Hi all,

I posted this yesterday but in the wrong place so am reposting here

I hope you can offer some advice on this, it's quite a long story but I'll try and keep it concise

My friends property was repossesed on Monday and he only found out when he got home and the locks were changed. He immediately contacted Northern Rock who first of all said if he cleared the arrears (approximately £1,100, two months arrears) and paid three months in advance he could get the house back. They then changed their mind on the phone after speaking to a different department and said they wouldn't accept any payments and the house was repossesed. The reason they gave was that it was because it was the second time they had put a repossesion order on the house. The previous one was served in roughly August 2012 and with help managed to get the £4,500.00 of arrears cleared and the repossesion stopped without going to court.

I have done lots of research and can see there is still some potential to get the property back but am struggling with what the next step should be. Everywhere I have read it says he should continue to make mortgage payments yet Northern Rock refused to take his money??!! He is seeking legal advice but finding solicitors are not calling him back, which is proving very frustrating.

He was also under considerable stress with his finances as the house had had a significant fire (total loss of the roof and roof timbers) and he only found out after the fire his insurance had lapsed. He spent a considerable sum of money trying to get the property inhabitable again and then ran out of money. He wasn't living in the property again until around August 2012 due to the condition of the house and was hopping between friends homes and that in itself has taken it's toll. The fire was also the reason why he fell into arrears last year.

Should he go to his doctor to have it put on file he is suffering with stress?

Should he be looking to file an injunction to stop the sale of the house first?

Thank you for your help

Hi,

Unfortunately he had stopped opening his post and only realised the house had been repossessed when he got home on Monday and the locks were changed. The eviction was Monday 11th February. I'm hoping someone can offer some help as it'll be a week tomorrow and I'm worried he's running out of time

Thank you

Hi there,

I am by no means legally trained. However, I know someone who's going through a similar situation at present. Similar, in the sense that his property was repossessed and he is currently seeking redress. He was informed that "post eviction/possession", there are only three grounds on which one can appeal. The difference here is he made a last minute application to stay the eviction, which was subsequently dismissed by the District Judge. He was successful in gaining permission to appeal and is currently waiting for an appeal hearing date.

Therefore, I don't know whether your friend's situation would fit within this criteria. I suggest he contacts the Citizen Advice Bureau or a solicitor asap so as to obtain the necessary advice. The period in which one can appeal (if applicable) is within 14 days of the warrant being executed i.e. 14 days post the eviction date.

Your friend needs to be aware that the mortgage lender may endeavour to sell the property as quickly as possible. This price is usually well below the market value and well below what your friend owes. It's a good idea to seek advice on the injunction you mentioned above. My friend was advised of this, however, the permission to appeal route worked for him.

The very best of luck to you and your friend.

Hi,

My friend called the solicitor to confirm what paperwork to take and actually spoke to one of the solicitors this time. They advised the first session would be four hours to go through everything and it would be £920.00 plus VAT and any time over that would be £230.00 an hour. They have said it will cost between £5,000 and £6,000 with no guarantee he will win. Now at a loss as to what to do

I'm so worried about my friend and just want to try and help but it's proving so hard because of the repossession having already gone through. If he'd known before they came I could have helped him with ease.....

You can try and make an application on N244 quickly saying that you never received any of the paperwork in connection with the repossession and ask for an emergency hearing. Dont tell the court he couldn`t be bothered to open his mail you will have to say he never received anything at all.

At the hearing you had best be able to ask for the sale of the property to be halted whilst you talk with your lender about making an agreement to pay as you did you have the opportunity before and have the means to do so financially. You will need to be convincing to the judge about why you never received the summons and also that you have all the necessary will and funds to make good on the arrears. If you didnt receive any documentation in the post you can argue the lender has not followed pre-action protocols which is the best bet in this case.

Does your friend currently have any money set aside to pay anything towards the arrears and costs?

You can also make an application to the court for an injunction for sale on the property whilst you take action. This is separate from the N244 and I cant remember offhand what the form is but its not cheap (about £400) and you need first to follow the protocol of issuing a letter to your lender informing them you intend to issue an injunction if they begin the sale of the property.

Your friend should not have just left this till after the fact as its considerably harder to deal with it now, its a shame as most action can be stopped easily. Next time, he should read any mail he gets as ignoring the court wont help him and it will cost more to defend and reclaim the situation.

Edited by Professor Fate

One thing that you need to be careful of is you will have to make it clear that you were informed of the arrears when you called the lender after the locks were changed.

If that fails to bring the lender to negotiate as the repossession has already gone through, then ask the judge if you can appeal against the decision that has been made and get a date. You will have to fill in the relevant appeals form `appellant’s notice` and pay the fee. As your friend has already spoken to a solicitor there is no guarantee that he can force the lender to let him back into the property even if he offers to pay. Not receiving any documentation is a valid reason for appeal but given the length of time since the repossession it may be too late. You can only try.

Edited by Professor Fate

The only thing you can do short term is try and get NRAM to the table to negotiate over the arrears to allow you both to make a deal that they will agree to and let you back in. You will have to let NRAM know that you have made an application for a hearing where you will discuss the case and ask for leave to appeal. They may or may not turn up. You need to add pressure on them to change their mind. As I said, if they dont play ball with that then you go for appeal to a circuit judge and get the repossession overturned if you can. Almost certainly they will turn up for that one.

Get your friend to get as much money as possible together £1500 plus any down payment as you will need to show this once you go for appeal. In the appeal you must stress that all the facts were not known in the case so the previous judgement is flawed as you did not even know that NRAM had gone for repossession and you had enough money (proof) to pay and want to keep the house. The circuit judge has wide ranging powers to help you if you can make a convincing case. In the meantime, keep NRAM informed in writing only, no telephone calls about what you are doing and why as it adds to your case that you have had no communication from them.

Last resort whilst waiting for appeal is the injunction on sale. If NRAM cant sell they are more likely to listen to you if they wont do so voluntarily.

Saying that the papers weren't received is plausible as they are only sent by ordinary mail, not signed for, which for something as important as this isn't really on.

In fairness though that is a lot of post to go missing, from the lender, solicitors and a hand delivered notice from the court.

Not saying that it isn't worth trying, or that it can be proved at all that it was received, but it would be questioned.

He would have stood an excellent chance of keeping the property if he had attended the hearing.

As it is, you cant say that he couldnt be bothered to open his mail. Receipt of some mail is acceptable if some of the important ones eg. hearing date never arrived. Its really up to the borrower to see what reasonable excuse can be made for not going to the hearing and he would know better than anyone else the circumstances around it. The circuit judge will only look at this if there are some procedural or factual issues that would make the original judgement unreasonable. Low level of arrears is a good point to make, that you can easily pay if you had known about the hearing etc.

It's not a good idea to suggest that he lies about the post not being received - he should tell the truth and say that the stress of the situation with the fire and his having to live with friends etc caused him to overlook some of his post.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

A judge might accept that one piece of mail could go missing but not several letters (I've known a judge say this) - your friend has only one chance at this - better not to give the judge any reason to think he's not trustworthy

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.