Bedroom tax on a room which is not a bedroom?

snugs1235
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3957 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It is silly. If one of my 3 beds were vacated I would lose £14 a week HB as my rent is £100 a week. If I could not afford that, as there are no 2 bed social housing available here I would/could move into a private rented 2 bed property that costs £700pcm and HB would cover the lot. That fiasco will have cost the country an extra £300+ a month.

However moving would not save me money as I have had the property adapted using a DFG for my disabilites and the terms and conditions say if I move within 5 years I have to pay it back and that would cost me well into 4 figures. So it's cheaper to stay.

It is silly. If one of my 3 beds were vacated I would lose £14 a week HB as my rent is £100 a week. If I could not afford that, as there are no 2 bed social housing available here I would/could move into a private rented 2 bed property that costs £700pcm and HB would cover the lot. That fiasco will have cost the country an extra £300+ a month.

As I understand it, you'd be unlikely to be able to move to the private rented sector, as would anyone on benefits. By and large, private landlords don't want benefit claimants as tenants.

As I understand it, you'd be unlikely to be able to move to the private rented sector, as would anyone on benefits. By and large, private landlords don't want benefit claimants as tenants.

True, we're in a private rented house that is unsuitable for my my disability, but can't get a private rented ground floor flat or bungalow - and we've tried and tried.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I was under the impression that if a property has been extensively adapted for a disabled person, then it is exempt from the bedroom tax.

I'm pretty sure that's right.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It has to be extensive though, and bathroom adaptions are not extensive apparently. So it wouldn't help me. And people with extensive adaptions are not exempt from the bedroom tax but are eligible for a discretionary payment, but again that is discretionary and will need to be decided on each year so no security or peace of mind there.

It has to be extensive though, and bathroom adaptions are not extensive apparently. So it wouldn't help me. And people with extensive adaptions are not exempt from the bedroom tax but are eligible for a discretionary payment, but again that is discretionary and will need to be decided on each year so no security or peace of mind there.

that is one of the many flaws in this legislation - the government keep citing DHP as the solution

if the government really wanted to protect those in adapted properties, they should have been exempted from bedroom tax, not left at the mercy of how much money councils have left to pay DHP

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

DHP is only meant to be paid on a temporary basis, I seem to remember.

Yes, some authorities make you reapply every three months and don't like giving repeat awards.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

• 4 months later...

Just a quick update to let all those who have helped me know, I have finally sorted this with the council and they now agree that this should not be classed as a bedroom.

I am very happy to be able to stay in my home and not have to pay extra rent :-)

thanks to those who gave me advice.

This is excellent news :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D