• Tweets

• Have you called the credit card company and tried to initiate a charge back?
    • Hi dx, thanks for your response.   they haven't touched my credit file actually and I have all receipts and a proof from the buyer (screenshot of bank statement). They asked to see a V5C and I told them that I don't have it, this is the bone of contention. They have now closed the account but still refuse to issue a check for my balance. 
    • After seemingly purchasing groceries online via tesco.com I arrived at the click and collect point to find the cost of the goods had increased by 15%.   Price offered at checkout £150, price charged on collection of goods £172.50.   Customer service decline to refund the difference and insist what was indicated at the time of purchase was a "guide price", I maintain had this been obvious I would have made a difference transactional decision.   References to the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations Act 2008 seem to be unpursuasive.   Perhaps someone else has a similar experience or knows a more effective lever?
    • Hi all, Hope someone can assist me as I feel a bit out of my depth.   Sorry for a long post in advance, it's probably best to set the scene as full as possible. We purchased 2 flights to Canada and returning to the UK from San Diego, the flights were with American Airlines (operated by BA) but importantly, booked through a travel agent budgetAir.co.uk on 9th January 2020.   BudgetAir’s first failure was to inform us that part of the flight was cancelled but after we discovered this from the airline and drew it to their attention, there were no suitable alternatives available so they agreed to refund the cost on 20th August.   EU law says they have to refund me within 7 days of a cancellation but obviously with the pandemic and they having to get the money back from the airline it’s reasonable to wait longer. The problem here is they keep telling me to be patient but American Airlines keep telling me that nobody has asked for a refund yet. Just for clarification I keep asking American Airlines as other people in a group I belong to have been waiting since February/March with no refunds.   On 26th September I sent BudgetAir a “notice before action” giving them 7 days to either refund me or for us to agree a mutually agreeable future date for a refund. On 5th October I started a MCOL which was issued the following day on 6th October. On 26th October I requested a default judgement which was issued today 18th October.   Two things concern me: 1, BudgetAir are a part of Travix International B.V in Amsterdam, BudgetAir are not listed as a Limited company in the UK, BudgetAir.co.uk is a trading name of Travix International B.V they use in the United Kingdom. This is the only UK address they provide anywhere on their documentation, this also explains a little more of the company structure: https://www.budgetair.co.uk/about I’m concerned I have used the right company name on the MCOL but it’s the only name they trade with I the UK.   2, My second concern is the address, I believe the London address may be no more than a postal address and will not give high court bailiffs any ability to recover goods. With the above thoughts, I don’t know how to proceed now I have got a judgement, assuming they don’t pay. My only option could be a 'third-party debt order' but I don’t know how to get any bank details, I paid my credit card and have no information (nor can I find online) about their banks.   Any thoughts would be gratefully received, Many thanks Anthony.
    • usually down to money laundering rules. barclays are the usual favourite for this happening to people not heard of Satans bank doing it before. have they also trashed your credit file with a CIFAS marker?   do you have written proof of the sale of the car? and proof from the buyer that they made the BACS transfer?            
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Sending repeat sick note

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2801 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, I'm appealing ESA and have had a letter saying the sick note is about to run out and need to send a new one before the 20th, but my doctor says they can't issue another till the old one runs out on the 20th, so it will be impossible to get it there on time, do they stop payment on the day they say, or will they give it a few days?

Also the DWP have arranged to see me saying they need to check my benefit claims, but they never mentioned ESA, and when I asked what it was about they just said it's to check the information they have and maybe something else, if it was about my ESA appeal would they have to say, or could it be they are just checking the information they have.

Thanks.

:riget:

Government guidance to doctors about Med 3 (unfit) notes isn't as clear as it could be and doctors don't always read such guidance as there is. Credit where it's due; your doctor's realised s/he can issue sick notes pending your appeal hearing. Gaps between sick notes can be problematic but overlapping notes are fine. Also, if necessary, a Med 3 can be backdated. Worst case senario for you is the possibility that your next payment may be a couple of days late if Jobcentreplus are waiting for a note before they can issue payment.

Unlikely that Work n Pensions want to discuss your appeal. Far more likely to be a routine check, from a Benefits Integrity Centre or a compliance team, that everything's as it should be with your claim.

Regards, Margaret.

Thanks for reply, the overlapping sounds about right, like when I did mot's, you can't predate them but nothing to stop you doing another before that one runs out, I'll ring the doctors again!

Yes looking at the letter it does say, "customer compliance".

Thanks.

Thanks for reply, the overlapping sounds about right, like when I did mot's, you can't predate them but nothing to stop you doing another before that one runs out, I'll ring the doctors again!

Yes looking at the letter it does say, "customer compliance".

Thanks.

Yes, I'm sure Margaret is correct here - Compliance would not call to discuss your appeal. Indeed, it would not be at all common for anyone to call regarding your appeal.

Re your med cert, again yes, there's no issue from a DWP point of view if certs overlap, and there's nothing to stop a doctor from issuing a cert prior to the expiry of the old one. As you say, they can't date it in the future, but that's not really the same thing.

If your cert expires on the 20th, the computer will withhold payments as of the 21st. Processors can't override this, but if you subsequently supply a new cert your payments will restart and any money not paid will be issued once said new cert is processed. To keep things simple, you'd want the new cert to be dated from the 21st at the latest, since under normal circumstances every day of your ESA claim must be covered by medical evidence until you are found to have LCW by the DWP or the Tribunal.

One exception to this: a gap in evidence of up to 10 days can be accepted provided that this is not your first cert.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

you may have already done this, but an email or quick phone call to the practise manager, all surgeries have one I understand, often sorts it out. Just a suggestion as thinking of anything that could help. As a sufferer of anxiety this situation would have me fretting and pacing all weekend.

Well to update this, had a phone call 30 minutes ago from reception, another doctor has decided he will do it, then 5 minutes ago, another call, he's changed his mind and now will not do it, so I have to wait till Monday for original doctor to do it.

How does the world keep spinning?

Hope you get it sorted, riget. I have been sending the DWP (un)fit notes every three months for over four years now. As you have discovered, there is no problem with sending them in a little early, in fact that is recommended practice. The computer system will not allow payment to be generated for any period not covered by your note.

So, I always diary when mine is due to run out and get a new one at least a week to ten days before that happens. This allows time for it to be posted, received and processed. Do not rely on the DWP to remind you. When they do, it's usually too close to the date it runs out and sometimes they don't remind you at all.

it seems to be an area GP's have discretion in. I have personally never managed to get a GP to provide a new sick note before the old one expired, but the DWP's practice to me is unusual, the best bet is as I said before ring and ask for a grace period explaining why.

it seems to be an area GP's have discretion in. I have personally never managed to get a GP to provide a new sick note before the old one expired, but the DWP's practice to me is unusual, the best bet is as I said before ring and ask for a grace period explaining why.

That is highly unlikely to work - ESA cannot be paid without a sick note where one is required. There is no way a processor can offer a grace period.

Now, admittedly, it's been a couple of years since I would spend several days a week running sick notes into the system, and the rules may have changed. The current, and unfortunate, political climate leads me to believe that if the rules have changed they won't have become more lenient.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

it worked for me, I was given grace periods multiple times.

There was even that occasion where I got a letter informing me I had been paid 6-8 weeks worth of IB without a sicknote and asking me for a hugely backdated sicknote, I panicked, posted on here, estellyn informed me I shouldnt even be sending sick notes and I then managed to get it corrected. But that showed the system can have payments going with out of date sick notes.

Of course that was IB and is possible ESA has some kind of blocker where noone can overide it. If it does then thats just stupid. There has to be room for dscretion and common sense.