Whatever happened to a hydrogen fuel future?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4062 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This video was uploaded in 2007. In the video, it is said to expect to see this innovation taking off. It is now six ears since this video and I wonder why it's taking so long to give us this economical, pollution free free, not to mention the minimal cost fuel? If anyone knows more about this, please tell.

Simple really. Oil companies and politicians.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

petrodollars, one reason for the invasion of iraq. ie saddam threatened to trade oil in euros rather than us dollars.

Edited by Ford

:-(

Let's hope they can work out it's needed sooner rather than later

Honestly, they dont care. They are making BILLIONS and they know that right now, we cant live without oil. The technology is there to use renewable energy, but in its initial phases, it is prohibitively expensive for small companies to explore. It needs the backing of a major company in order for them to get the tech to a point where it is commercially viable.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The good news is, hydrogen fuel cells are STILL in use.... THough under development due to their instability, they're still widely being researched. Oxford University have several programs researching them, as are MIT and several Japanese companies. Hope isn't lost yet :) Oddly enough, of all people, the fuel producing nation of Saudi Arabia are excelling at Hydrogen Fuel Cell development... In regards to electrical power, take a looka t top-gears review of the Tesla...

Thats some piece of machinery!

They can be researched all they want. THey might even get to production phase, but if the governments wont allow them for sale, then its pointless.

Thats why so many renewable energy sources are extremely viable, but most governments do everything they can to stop them.

totally agree, the tax put on fuel is silly.. and no way in hell will they ever allow a 'tax free' fuel to come about... It'll take a hell of a load of resistance from us to get it there...

What is odd, teh government tries to front themselves as being eco friendly buy giving government loans to 'green aware companies', i.e. in my case my second company designs energy monitors and got pounded by funding as it's 'green aware'... Then again, if I were a newborn version of BP, I'd be ROLLING in it!

The obvious reason is COST. Electric cars have bombed despite a massive subsidy and free road tax. there is another technical problem and that is exhaust fumes from ordinary cars destroy the fuel cells so they wont work properly until everyone has got one. Bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Actually its not cost. The cost is nothing. The reason is oil companies have a huge monopoly and make BILLIONS in profit every year. The governments around the world then buy it off these companies and tax the hell out of it. You seriously dont think they would give up all that money do you?

Especially when oil is actually finite, and hydrogen production is infinite and would cost hardly anything once the base understanding is acheived.

I suppose it's all about a total re think as where we are going as humans and changing the mind set of what is important in life. We are not here long and for the world to have cheap sustainable energy is a step towards money not being the God but a good quality of life being the goal. All new houses should be built with energy efficiency paramount i.e geothermal heating. We can but hope.

I'll repeat what i said before. THe main reason we dont have abundant, cheap, renewable energy resources is due to politics and corporate greed. It really is as simple as that.

Lets take Diesil engines as an example. When they were designed, they ran on vegetable oils. Mainly peanut oil. However, since oil started to get more common, it was refined and since diesel fuel became cheaper ( due to companies researching it, and not vegetable based oils), and more readily available ( companies forcing it on the public), the new oil became the fuel of choice.

looks good. the tesla came in for some stick, but this vw idea is more mainstream ie deisel electric (still part oil :)) is prob the next step forward. as on top gear, deisel on board to recharge the electrics/battery.

not to pose as an eco-warrior or anything, but oil will run out one day... That crossed my mind when I watched 'I am legend' for the third time last night.

I can see most of the energy companies closing down, the green 'sustainable' companies charging 100 fold what they charge, and it being a corporate empire.. Much like how things showed up in 'robocop' LOL

We all know oil will run out. Thats why oil companies have colossal stockpiles ready, so when the time comes, they can jack the prices up sky high, knowing that governments and regulators wont authorise research etc into renewable fuels.

plenty of oil still to come; antarctic (they're currently fighting over it), arctic (when it melts), alaska, africa (fighting over it), usa, etc. the usa have played it, mostly using everyone elses oil (partic as that oil still traded in us dollars) and when that runs out explore their own and exploit. of course if by then other means haven't become mainstream.

chick dung (lots of it?) sounds good though, until the chicks run out (into the road) :). how about cow dung?

Edited by Ford

Top gear proved that you can run a vehicle on methane gas. It doesnt accelerate as fast or reach as high of a speed as a regular oil powered car, but its good enough for the roads. If more money was invested in research for things like that, then there wouldnt be such a dependancy on oil, as there is in the USA.