BW Legal/Lowells Stat Demand - Have I left it too late?

scarlettuk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4025 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The reason I state this is because of this thread - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?381705-Lowells-claiming-I-made-a-payment-on-Statute-Barred-Debt&highlight=lowells

The OP stated that Lowells claimed the person paid 50p....

In this one they denied ever receiving anything until the OP quoted the postal tracking number - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?381954-Lowells-BW-Legal-Stat-Demand&highlight=tracked

There are a number of other threads where a payment has been alleged to have been made by the person, if true then Lowells are attempting to stat that any debt is NOT statute barred when it actually is - basically they can deny anything they like unless you have proof...

scarlett

bankruptcy is re an inability to pay debts. and a last resort. if your set aside application is not accepted out of time, and they do petition, a petition can also be challenged and compounded prior if required and poss. also, there is negative equity which may affect things re a bankruptcy.

Edited by Ford

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again. A quick update... I have had several missed calls from the "lady" at BW Legal, one with a voicemail stating she had an update for me. Anyway, I haven't spoken to her. The 12 + 2 days for complying with the CCA request passed several days ago for Lowells (I have an online POD so I know they got it), so I am going to send an Account in Dispute letter today. Is that the right one? I've had an acknowledgement of my SAR request from Shop Direct Group.Do I need to communicate with BW Legal at all? If so I'm happy to do that via e-mail.Thanks for all your help so far, and apologies for disappearing! Life with a full-time job and a 10-month-old baby can be fun sometimes :)

Yes account in dispute letter. Don't speak to BW Legal, as they are acting as debt collectors as well. You can email if you want to advise them that Lowells have failed to respond to the CCA request.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks Uncle Bulgaria. Just doing the letter now from the template and have noticed that it's 12 WORKING days, not calendar days (my mistake). So, my letter was dated 8th February, didn't manage to post it until 12th, it was signed for delivered on 14th, so when do I count the 12 days from? If it's from the 8th, then today is the 12+2, if the 12th when I actually posted it they have until Monday. Do I wait, or do it now? It's written anyway, so just a case of changing a date before printing.Cheers :)

Send once they have missed the deadline. Did BW Legal confirm in writing that they have withdrawn the SD ? When is the date due, when you would have to set aside by i.e 18 days from when the SD was served ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I had already missed the deadline to apply to set aside, and didn't have a good reason for applying late. As far as I'm aware BW hasn't withdrawn the SD. I had a telephone conversation with them just after I'd posted the CCA and SAR requests and she stated verbally that they would put a hold on proceedings until Lowells had complied with the CCA request. Unfortunately nothing in writing and I didn't record the call as she called on my mobile when I was in the car.I will see what the post brings until Monday, and then send the letter on Tuesday if appropriate. If they do, by some miracle, supply the CCA I will post it up here (minus identifying details) so that we can see if it meets the requirements.Again, many thanks.

I had already missed the deadline to apply to set aside, and didn't have a good reason for applying late. As far as I'm aware BW hasn't withdrawn the SD. I had a telephone conversation with them just after I'd posted the CCA and SAR requests and she stated verbally that they would put a hold on proceedings until Lowells had complied with the CCA request. Unfortunately nothing in writing and I didn't record the call as she called on my mobile when I was in the car.I will see what the post brings until Monday, and then send the letter on Tuesday if appropriate. If they do, by some miracle, supply the CCA I will post it up here (minus identifying details) so that we can see if it meets the requirements.Again, many thanks.

If you are ever in this situation again or for anyone else viewing the thread. Unless you receive a letter withdrawing the SD, then you have to think that the creditors will at some point try to go for bankruptcy, as soon as they have the paperwork. We have seen cases on CAG, where Lowells have tried for bankruptcy, when they have not had the paperwork. So always go for the set aside, within the 18 day allowed and don't believe anything you are told verbally.

If you are ever in this situation again or for anyone else viewing the thread. Unless you receive a letter withdrawing the SD, then you have to think that the creditors will at some point try to go for bankruptcy, as soon as they have the paperwork. We have seen cases on CAG, where Lowells have tried for bankruptcy, when they have not had the paperwork. So always go for the set aside, within the 18 day allowed and don't believe anything you are told verbally.

Very good advice... I will certainly not make the same mistake again. I'm hopeful that it won't go to bankruptcy. I'm not insolvent. Once I have the paperwork from Shop Direct (the originaly creditor) I can work out what i do actually owe and take it from there. I'm obviously reluctant to just hand over a sum because that's what they say I owe. Hopefully common sense will prevail ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I received the paperwork from SDG in response to my SAR request. I noticed in there a note that they'd had a request from Lowell's for the CCA, and that it wasn't available. I have since received a letter from Lowell's advising that they are unable to provide the CCA so are closing my account and no further action will be taken. Do I still need to ask them to withdraw the SD? I'm almost certain that no CCA exists as it was an account which was set up online several years ago. I think I can breathe a sigh of relief now, but wouldn't have been able to do it without the help of you lovely people. xxThanks

I think I would leave it now. There letter says that have closed the account and no further action will be taken, which means the SD is dead.

... I have since received a letter from Lowell's advising that they are unable to provide the CCA so are closing my account and no further action will be taken. ...

keep that letter safe :)