Tv License Visit

flynnsmum123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i feel like im being a pain with all these questions lately.

so ive came downstairs and found one of those "we called and you weren't in" leaflets from TVL. the time wrote on the card is 20.42 my question is,do i need to answer the door to them?

i live myself with my kids,4 and 2 years old and i don't answer the door at night full stop unless i know someone is coming over.i honestly just about wet myself if my door goes at night and no one is meant to be visiting

i fully admit that ive not kept up with the weekly payments because i simply couldn't/cant afford it. We've went without gas for nearly 6months apart from on a few occasions because i can't afford it so why would i pay them

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple solution, Unplug the TV aerial and watch DVDs, television is brainwashing.

You have no obligation to speak to TVL if they call, If they ask you by name DO NOT answer them, ask them who they are.

Once they have told you they are TV Licensing just say not interested and close the door, 99% of them will just leave.

You do not have to speak to them or tell them your name at all, no matter what they say, best way is no interaction at all, Once you know

they are from TVL just say no thanks and close the door, after all they are only a salesman trying to sell you something.

Wait for the next letter to arrive and fill it in, No longer need a TV License as your watching bought DVDs and NO LIVE TV.

George

P.S

Check you tube as they are quite a few good videos regarding these people and how to handle them.

A good one here:

Unless you can prove that the TV isn't being used for live TV (no aerial or tuner de-activated), they can legally take an interest in this. I assume that you do watch TV? Simply unplugging the aerial won't be enough.

If you do watch TV, then you have to pay. If you don't then you will risk further action.

If you don't watch live TV, invite them round at a specified time so you know it's them and show them. Problem goes away.

A friend of mine uses his TV purely as monitorfor Xbox and PC. He deactivated the tuner and has no more visits. He downloads TV programs via the internet (torrents), so watches what he wants that way. Usually gets to watch them earlier due to being on their before they get shown in the UK anyway.

I don't think handheld devices exist, if they did they would need to be shown to prove you aren't receiving a TV signal. This may be a scare tactic.

Unless you can prove that the TV isn't being used for live TV (no aerial or tuner de-activated), they can legally take an interest in this. I assume that you do watch TV? Simply unplugging the aerial won't be enough.

If you do watch TV, then you have to pay. If you don't then you will risk further action.

If you don't watch live TV, invite them round at a specified time so you know it's them and show them. Problem goes away.

I believe that it's actually down to them to prove that you ARE using the TV to watch live broadcasts, not for you to prove you aren't. If you just unplug the aerial cable then you have done all you are legally required to do. You are under no obligation to allow the inspectors into your home and under no obligation to sign any paperwork they try to give you (and I would strongly advise that anybody does not sign anything from them)

Of course, if you are watching live TV then you should pay for a TV License. If you can't afford the license, then simply do as was said, unplug the aerial and don't watch any live TV broadcasts. You are then fulfilling your legal (and moral!) obligations.

I believe that it's actually down to them to prove that you ARE using the TV to watch live broadcasts, not for you to prove you aren't. If you just unplug the aerial cable then you have done all you are legally required to do. You are under no obligation to allow the inspectors into your home and under no obligation to sign any paperwork they try to give you (and I would strongly advise that anybody does not sign anything from them)

Of course, if you are watching live TV then you should pay for a TV License. If you can't afford the license, then simply do as was said, unplug the aerial and don't watch any live TV broadcasts. You are then fulfilling your legal (and moral!) obligations.

I don't think it is simply a case of unplugging the aerial as the Tv is still capable of receiving broadcast signals. The TV tuner needs to be disconnected.

Nope it doesnt. I havent had a tv licence now for almost 12 years. Nobody in our household watches tv. We use it either to watch blu-rays or stream movies from the PC to the TV. The TV itself is perfectly capable of recieving tv channels, except it needs an ariel. Which we don't have, nor want :)

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hiya. On a slightly different note, how can I prove I didn't need a license for the last few months so I can get my refund?

Now your pushing it to the limit.

• Haha 1

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

He stressed, this might not be what you want to here, but you are 99% likely NOT to get a refund. Believe me, i tried years ago as we pretty much stopped watching tv. Theres no way around it. You can always try legal action, but its very unlikely to even get off the ground.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Rubbish, not up to any house hold to prove they are watching live TV. The burden of proof is on TVL / Capita / BBC. Stop this propaganda, no one is under any legal obligation to speak , inform, deal with the licence people in any way shape or form.

More propaganda. Never invite these proven liars into your home, you don`t need to inform them of your status or deal with them, if they are threatening you with a warrant......... bring it on, TVL / Capita / BBC have a policy of not breaking into premises on a warrant. Don`t answer the door & they run away with their tails between their legs. Just go on you tube & look for the videos .

A friend of mine uses his TV purely as monitorfor Xbox and PC. He deactivated the tuner and has no more visits. He downloads TV programs via the internet (torrents), so watches what he wants that way. Usually gets to watch them earlier due to being on their before they get shown in the UK anyway.

I don't think handheld devices exist, if they did they would need to be shown to prove you aren't receiving a TV signal. This may be a scare tactic.

The first sensible thing you have said, no one has ever been convicted for TV licence evasion from evidence gained via TV detector vans or hand held devices. Why?, they don't exist. Even under a freedom of information request the workings of the TV vans was with held due to" not in public interest ", translated........... we can`t tell you because you will laugh.

Never give any information to anyone representing TVL , Capita , BBC. They have a long history of lying & cheating to get their bonus & TV licence fee.

The first sensible thing you have said, no one has ever been convicted for TV licence evasion from evidence gained via TV detector vans or hand held devices. Why?, they don't exist. Even under a freedom of information request the workings of the TV vans was with held due to" not in public interest ", translated........... we can`t tell you because you will laugh.

Never give any information to anyone representing TVL , Capita , BBC. They have a long history of lying & cheating to get their bonus & TV licence fee.

Whatever, all I am saying is if you watch TV, then pay your licence like the rest of have to.

Whatever, - Grow up

all I am saying is if you watch TV, then pay your licence like the rest of have to.

No that is not all you have said , you are giving false information & bad advice. And again here, you only need a licence if you watch live broadcasts. Go & educate yourself on this matter or at least take the time to read & digest what i & other posters who know the law have said .

Yes it is all I have said. I only ever referred to live TV, now your quoting it like I said something else?

You also need a license if you record live TV (thought you knew all about this subject?)

Why wouldn't you let them into your house if you aren't doing either of the above? It would make the problem go away right? The only reason you wouldn't do it is if you have something to hide.

How can they prove you aren't watching live TV? In your wisdom, how do you suggest they go about it that sits right with you?

You call them liars? Care to expand on this a little?

I think people are missing the point

A TV licence is a statutory requirement to receive live TV signals

If you have a device within your premises that can receive TV reception, then you will need a TV licence

A simple answer will be to deactivate the tuner and use the TV as a monitor or play back device

People are very naive to think any different

The thing that gets people confused, ( and the tv licence guys to) is the fact they cant differentiate between illegal and unlawful. Even on tv licence letters, they refer to both.

A simple answer will be to deactivate the tuner and use the TV as a monitor or play back device

Another way is to detune all the channels on the TV, and get rid of the aerial / coaxial cable. Don't have to alter the TV or remove anything within it.

Unlawful is civil and is either Substantive or procedural

Illegal is a procedural offence or prohibition of excepted rules

I myself consider not having a TV licence to be a civil offence, though it is dealt with in the magistrates court. The offence is statutory (criminal) in that it is forbidden by Law. The reason for this is that any penalty imposed on conviction will result in a fine or a civil penalty. Failure to pay the fine can then be dealt with under H M courts fine service, and imprisonment will be a possibility for non compliance.

Edited by squaddie

Another way is to detune all the channels on the TV, and get rid of the aerial / coaxial cable. Don't have to alter the TV or remove anything within it.

If you have no aerial or Sky/virgin box then this should be enough to prove you aren't watching (or recording) live TV. Why hide this from TV license inspectors if this really is the case? The only reason people would object (as far as I can see) is if they are watching live TV but don't want to pay up.

Easiest, possible way to deal with the "inspectors"? Don't let them into your house. They cant even issue a summons or anything unless they have proof that you are receiving live tv. Proof would be them hearing a live broadcast when they arrive. Or physically seeing the tv showing a live broadcast.

Easiest, possible way to deal with the "inspectors"? Don't let them into your house. They cant even issue a summons or anything unless they have proof that you are receiving live tv. Proof would be them hearing a live broadcast when they arrive. Or physically seeing the tv showing a live broadcast.

Are you advocating the fact people watch or record live TV, don't pay but are allowed to keep the inspectors away?

THats the thing, you CAN keep the inspectors away legally. Im not going into it here as it could bring CAG into disrepute.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks