Disability element in UC replacing working tax credits

sadone
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4088 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I saw this thread over on Rightsnet today regarding how the working disabled/sick will fair under Universal Credit, and it looks like the phrase 'very badly' comes to mind.

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/4375/

I went and downloaded these new regulations and the CAB's report on them and unless I've got it wrong it seems to indicate that someone claiming the disabled element on UC can only do so If they work below 16 hours/and/or earn less then £99 per week and If you want to work longer hours and earn more you will only be able to do so If you're also claiming DLA/PIP as well.

How on earth is that fair?

Also by the looks of it a claimant will also be subject to medical assessments every year (so yet more money for bloody ATOS then) which I don't believe you had to do under the old WTC system and If you fail one then no more extra help/money for you.

You can download a fuller explanation of whats to come and the CAB's response to all this over here..

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/holes_safety_net.htm

Have I got this right? If so this is going to have the most horrendous impact on a section of people already finding it hard to get by.

Edited by sadone

Can't read the regs at the moment as I'm fairly knackered. (I'm discovering that pulmonary rehab is hard work!). But, the bit I've taken from your post, looks pretty much like the current ESA Permitted Work Scheme ...

it seems to indicate that someone claiming the disabled element on UC can only do so If they work below 16 hours/and/or earn less then £99 per week and If you want to work longer hours and earn more you will only be able to do so If you're also claiming DAL/PIP as well.

Yes but under WTC you weren't subject to ATOS sticking their nose in all the time and trying to find ways to say you're well, and you could also try gradually upping your hours etc. By the looks of it you can't do that under UC or you'd loose everything.

Yes but under WTC you weren't subject to ATOS sticking their nose in all the time and trying to find ways to say you're well, and you could also try gradually upping your hours etc. By the looks of it you can't do that under UC or you'd loose everything.

Yes, I think this is basically taking away disabled element of wtc unless you either are on dla/pip or have had a positive wca. At present there are circumstances going from ib/esa that you can get a disabled element without needing to be on dla. From what I remember UC also screws over disabled couples who can currently get a disabled element each, but will only get one between them on UC.

There's lots of 'clever' bits in the UC regs which pretend to be about one thing - the part above pretending to just be about permitted work, but which also scrape away part of a current entitlement.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Also by the looks of it a claimant will also be subject to medical assessments every year (so yet more money for bloody ATOS then) which I don't believe you had to do under the old WTC system and If you fail one then no more extra help/money for you.

No you didn't. You just had to demonstrate that your disability puts you at a disadvantage - some of the criteria was the same as the old IB descriptors I do believe.

Now it looks like unless you're claiming PIP and receiving regular WCA's you can't work above 16 hours which means that in reality any long term support for the disable/sick when it comes to work is right out.

Also what about those who are already claiming the disabled element of WTC and who will eventually be transfered over to UC. The two systems don't mess in any shape or form. In one you have to prove you're earning more then 16 hours at NMW and with the other you have to show you're earning below it. So imo thats going to mean many already claiming WTC are going to be in for avery nasty shock. :(

Disgusting.

Looks like you've now got to be so disabled that you're claiming PIP as well and not everyones is as ill as that, and so they will fall between the cracks and end up either not being able to keep apace with JSA requirements or stuck permanently on ESA and will feel too scared to try any work in case it goes against them at their next medical.