Criminal convictions + SC Clearance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2287 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear readers,

I'm currently making an application to obtain SC Clearance for a job I've recently been offered with a defense contractor in the UK.

My problem is, as a young adult I was convicted of assault on two occasions,

in both instances I received a fine as the matters were very minor.

I understand that criminal convictions are a very serious subject when it concerns matters such as security clearance and that it is likely my application will be rejected.

In general I'm a good citizen and a hard working individual I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm in the process of writing up my PhD and have not since been involved in any trouble with the police.

Would having two convictions mean my application is rejected right away?

If so is there an appeal process I could go through?

Any advise on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

how long ago?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Advanced crb?

don't let it come as a surprise to them. Tell them up front. Lying is worse than minor offenses.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

If you were a juvenile you may not need to declare it and such offences will only show up on an enhanced (and maybe standard but I'm not sure) CRB check. It won't show on a basic check.

What is the job you're applying for? Does it require work with children or vulnerable adults?

What was the nature of the offence?

All of the above will be taken into consideration.

Becky - "young adult" and "defence contract". more likely they are looking for anything that can be used for blackmail, or espionage related activity. Any defence organisation I have been involved with want top level of screening.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Becky - "young adult" and "defence contract". more likely they are looking for anything that can be used for blackmail, or espionage related activity. Any defence organisation I have been involved with want top level of screening.

True, therefore it depends very much of the type of offence and whether the OP was a juvenile when it was committed.

Unless the job is pot washing for a defence organisation, in which case it may not pose a problem at all! ;)

Security clearance is completely different to a CRB check and comes under the Official Secrets Act. The papers are supposed to be handled in confidence without being seen directly by the employing office, so it shouldn't have any bearing on their decision. However, you must declare absolutely every conviction, caution, speeding ticket etc. you have ever had.

Provided you are honest, accurate and complete with your information, have not been in trouble recently, and have reliable references who will back this up, you shouldn't have anything to worry about unless you have ever been in prison, or have a very irregular financial or behavioural history. Irregular cases usually result in an interview where, again, the focus is on honesty, accuracy and completeness. People who have nothing to hide are more reliable and less subject to unwelcome influence. Rejections are rare and never automatic, although your clearance could come back with a recommendation for review or monitoring.

The fact that you're doing a PhD clearly shows that you went straight a long time ago, so have no fear and good luck with the application!

I would add that none of this changes your obligation to declare 'unspent' convictions, when asked, to any prospective employer, under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. Non-custodial sentences are spent after five years, half that for juvenile (

If the work is with vulnerable people then you could be asked to complete a CRB check as well, although that seems unlikely for an MoD job.

Thanks to everyone who have provided their advice on the matter thus far. In my application I've been very honest and unambiguous about the facts of the matters which relate to my convictions. If I'm correct in saying, would it be likely that I could be invited to attend an interview? I'm aware this is the procedure when making an application for DV Clearance. I was under the impression that SC Clearance did not require an interview.

Bob

I cant say what they do currently but in the past they were very hot on those who didnt tell all so even a parking ticket would be listed despite the paperwork saying you didnt have to mention minor motoring offences. They cant say you are hiding things and I dont see a problem with things that didint lead to a custodial sentence but it will be down to the individual who reads your paperwork.

There is generally not an interview for SC but they reserve the right to do so, and they will let you know if one is required.

Again, thanks for this information. Would just like to confirm another point here. My application asks to disclose convictions but excluding parking and speeding related convictions I.e. penalty points for speeding etc. However it then goes on to request the applicant to disclose any fixed penalty notice recieved. Does this mean I'm required to declare speeding points etc after all? The questions have left me very confused!

Cheers

Bob

• 4 years later...
They clearly ask you to list the motoring fixed penalties in a separate section now, and you should definitely do so.

Hi sorry for bringing up this old thread but to get SC you need to do this

Baseline Personnel Security Standard

Departmental/Company Records Check

Security Questionnaire

Criminal Record Check

Credit Reference Check

Security Service Check

In the BPSS where it asks about criminal convictions but states the "rehabilitation of offenders act" do i need to declare them when filling out that form. I realise I need to fill it out on the SC questionnaire but so i do it on both?

Thanks

5yrs old...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...