Reduced fines day. Join me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4087 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am planning "reduced fines day" in London when the weather gets better in a couple of months. How it works - based on the idea "Meter maids" in Australia where the meter is topped up before ticket expiry. I only have a mate to help so far but this WILL go ahead whether I stand alone and do it myself in a street for a day. The object is to cut the councils' revenue by stopping the traffic wardens issuing fines to unsuspecting motorist who are slightly late back to their car or unaware they've parked in the wrong location. Anyone who pulls up in the street will be advised they have parked wrongfully and in danger of a pcn. Obviously the scheme won't be advertised to prevent folk taking advantage by not paying for a parking ticket. Providing that the time limit hasn't exceeded, a small amount can be entered into the ticket machine when a warden appears (say for 10 mins) and hopefully the driver will return soon when the "top up fee" could be claimed back. Charitable donations could also cover the cost of these top ups. Anyone else in on this?

Do any of the London boroughs still have meters, or are they pay and display or pay by phone?

The OP does say he is going to put money into the 'ticket machine' but I suspect unless he is an expert at breaking into cars he is going to have difficulty displaying the ticket in the vehicle! Then as I already pointed out there is the issue of overstaying the maximum stay or buying another ticket which are also contraventions, this cunning plan really fails on all levels. :lol:

Do any of the London boroughs still have meters, or are they pay and display or pay by phone?[/

I saw some meters today actually, that was in se postcodes, near new cross i think. I think I'll do my meter maid robin hood whatever you wanna call it there, top up the meter for 10 mins, give someone time to come back. I wanted to find a street that took the most revenue and still may. Hopefully there will be a few more takers to help me with this besides my mate. Ideally every street in London would be done but that would be a project on a massive scale which I couldn't organise myself.

green_and_mean, it is NOT an offence to "meter feed" in London. That got scrapped 8 years ago! You are now allowed to "extend" the stay of your parking whether it be by phone or at the ticket machine.

London is a big place I suggest you do a bit more research before making such a bold claim!

London is a big place I suggest you do a bit more research before making such a bold claim!

Thanks, that's why I'm on here; to get information. And I'll definitely do more research, I'm contacting meter maids in Australia for advice to start. You're right! London is a huge place and parking is different in every street. Even if I manage to stop one ticket being written out, that's a start. I've thought of the pitfalls of parkies calling the police for obstruction but there's other ways such as informing drivers that are about to park where they shouldn't. Alot of pcn's are because of people' ignorance. Didn't see a sign, assumed one bay was the same as the other. I'm going to test the waters one weekend when I'm off soon and go to a local known street to get a taster. I bet I can deter one or two pcn's. But anyone with information that can help me, especially legal stuff please feel free to post.

I just want to say that I wish you all the very best, I think that what you are proposing to do is admirable.

Have you considered getting in touch with the "Notomob" at all for support and practical advice? They would be a great help to you I imagine.

Good luck!

Nev