Submitting information with ESA50?

bigissue
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4070 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone know if it is helpful or worth while to submit information leaflets with your ESA50 about the medical condition you have? Unfortunately what I have many people have but they are not too badly effected while I am seriously debilitated by it.

In my experiance ATOS & the DWP seem to choose to see my illness as something managable and that lots of people have rather than be take into account that many people do have a chronic form of the illness.

I am not sure if submitting say information printed out from the NHS website for example would be useful. The information does cover both milder and more serious forms of the condition so I am not sure how that would be. Also in my experiance they hardly even read the ESA50 so perhaps submitting anything else is pointless?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! Yes! Yes! I think that answers the Op. :D

Whatever YOU think is evidence, include. And be creative. I've used printouts from the DWP's own A to Z of Medical Conditions as evidence (google it). Because my problem is my lungs, I've used the manufacturer of the Peak Flow meter's own guidelines as evidence. Absolutely anything that shows how you are is, imo, evidence. The DM is paid to sift through it all. By including everything you can, the DWP can never say 'well, we didn't know that'.

EDIT: I've just started Pulmonary Rehabilitation with the NHS. Part of this includes a whole pile of bumpf from the British Lung Foundation. I'm yet to work my way through it but, rest assured, if I find anything that supports how I am then it'll be copied and sent off to the DWP. (You can always send additional supporting evidence after submitting your ESA50)

EDIT2: I appreciate there is a worry they won't read it or take notice of it. That's fine and shouldn't be a concern. That's their problem. You've supplied it and that's all that counts. In the unlikely event you have to go to tribunal, then you have the moral high ground of saying 'well, I told them all this...', likewise if you need to involve your MP or anyone else.

Edited by RaeUK

:bigissue:

Echoing RaeUk here, Yes! Yes! Yes!

Chondromalacia patellae, known to most of us as growing pains. A small, but significant, percentage of teenagers don't grow out of them. The Shatos pinocchio hadn't heard of it but the doc on the tribunal panel had.

Regards, Margaret.

Yeah, agreed, what's the harm? The good DMs know that they're not medical professionals, and might well appreciate information from reputable sources - I stress reputable here, best to go for the NHS, recognised charities and so on - and even if they don't, nothing is lost.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I agree with all of the above. Send as much evidence as you possibly can. I have literally sent the DWP a yard of paperwork before, and plan to continue to do so. So far it has worked well for me, as I am in the Support Group as I should be.

Good Luck :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was led to believe the ESA50 questionnaire looks at how you are affected by your illness or disability they don't look at evidence of ones condition only your work capability. they are only interested in what your able to do not medical evidence. The decision maker may look at it.

Edited by matt v atos

I would use the info to demonstrate that as well as telling them. I can tell them about how painful things are to do etc and the info with it just might help a bit, it cant hurt if it helps them understand what your dealing with ... as long as you make clear to them how this affects your capabilities as well, which am sure you would do. Whether they give a damn is neither here nor there, they cant say at a later date they didn't realise/know. Later date meaning reconsideration or tribunal.

Clearly we have some mixed views on supporting evidence! Whilst you do need to fill out the ESA50 as fully as possible and with the descriptors in mind, additional supporting evidence also plays a crucial role.

I can say that with full conviction now having just gone from ESA50 to Support Group for 3 years with no need for a WCA. The evidence I supplied played an important part.

Clearly we have some mixed views on supporting evidence! Whilst you do need to fill out the ESA50 as fully as possible and with the descriptors in mind, additional supporting evidence also plays a crucial role.

I can say that with full conviction now having just gone from ESA50 to Support Group for 3 years with no need for a WCA. The evidence I supplied played an important part.

The evidence I supplied played an important part how do you know this ?

The evidence I supplied played an important part how do you know this ?

By talking to my BDC. I also sent further supporting evidence when it became available after submitting my ESA50. The only contact from ATOS was when they sent the ESA50, all other contact has been direct with the DWP.

by talking to my bdc. I also sent further supporting evidence when it became available after submitting my esa50. The only contact from atos was when they sent the esa50, all other contact has been direct with the dwp.

bdc. ?

Sorry. Benefit Distribution Centre. For my area it's Chippenham.

In fairness, mine was not the average journey and every case will be different. It took me 4 years, 3 ESA50s, 2 failed WCA's and 2 failed Tribunals to finally go 'straight to the Support Group'.

The one obvious factor, to me, is that the amount of supporting evidence I could gather grew year on year. So this time round it was not only a good pile but it clearly showed 4 years of continual deterioration.

Its logical to assume evidence is extremely important when there is no WCA. Although I have stories of people not having a WCA with just the ESA50 form alone which to me seems odd, but its always wise to send whatever relevant evidence you have to the descriptors.

Sorry. Benefit Distribution Centre. For my area it's Chippenham.

In fairness, mine was not the average journey and every case will be different. It took me 4 years, 3 ESA50s, 2 failed WCA's and 2 failed Tribunals to finally go 'straight to the Support Group'.

The one obvious factor, to me, is that the amount of supporting evidence I could gather grew year on year. So this time round it was not only a good pile but it clearly showed 4 years of continual deterioration.

I'm pleased it worked out for you

but how do you know it was the supporting evidence.

I think it stand to reason that in cases where ESA is awarded due to "Special Circumstances" that additional information has had some kind of impact. It is important to remember that many people who do not fufil the descriptors (myself included) are awarded ESA.

I think it stand to reason that in cases where ESA is awarded due to "Special Circumstances" that additional information has had some kind of impact. It is important to remember that many people who do not fufil the descriptors (myself included) are awarded ESA.

"Special Circumstances" That is a new one on me !

Its logical to assume evidence is extremely important when there is no WCA. Although I have stories of people not having a WCA with just the ESA50 form alone which to me seems odd, but its always wise to send whatever relevant evidence you have to the descriptors.

It's because our ESA50 and supporting evidence is enough to decide without an assessment which group we go in. I sent quite a bit of evidence in with mine.

I totally agree Rae and Nystagmite.....also having had experience of the system, I found that on the occasion I sent extra evidence on the illness/conditions, along with my answers to the descriptors, it did make a difference. It cannot be not worth sending anything that may be relevant.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4070 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks