Scared to death... Caught shoplifting in supermarket

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4088 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was caught shoplifting yesterday in a supermarket a really small item, less than 5£ in value.

I left the store and an employee was waiting for me outside. He asked me if I had something in my pocket I did not pay for and I took the item out straight away admitting it.

He then took me to a small room were I was patronised by the store manager for a while. My details were taken from my drining license as well. The manager then went away with the guy that stopped me and when came back said that his decission was to ban me for life to enter any branch of the supermarket store and was also banned to enter the shopping center for 6 months. The police was not involved and was informed that an RLP letter was going to be sent to me to pay a quantity as a fine.

I have read similar threads and I want to believe that since the police was not called in the fisrt time it is unlikely to be called now, althought this is causing me a great deal of anxiety.

What worries me the most is that the manager saw my badge from work and mentioned that they may contact my employer and let them know and that I would be fired.

When being about to leave the room the guy that stopped me mentioned that stopping me was no coincidence as they have been monitoring me for a while....

My questions are:

Will they decide to call the police after all? If they do, will the police come to my house?

Could they contact my employer and inform them of what happened?

If they saw me taking other items in the past, why did they not stopped me then and there? Can they use this if the police is finally called?

I am really scared and very ashamed of what I did. I see things clear now and what looked like a game before is now my worst nightmare... I have not been able to eat or sleep since this happened...

I would take whatever happens to me, fine, court, being fired... whatever, but is the anxiety I cannot manage.

Please help!

Thanks

Ignore RLP. They cannot do anything apart from threaten you with false information.

If the shop wanted to call the police, they would have done it while you were there. If they contact your employer, that is a VERY big no and you can sue the hell out of them.

In short, you are falling into their trap by worrying about things that wont ever happen. Should they contact you, let us know and we can help you with a one line letter that will really make them stew.

I would take whatever happens to me, fine, court, being fired... whatever, but is the anxiety I cannot manage.

None of that will happen. Why would you think it would? They cant fine you. Only the police can, and the shop didnt call them. They cant take you to court. They have no basis for a case. You wont get fired as RLP would be VERY VERY stupid to call your employer.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

If they contact your employer, that is a VERY big no and you can sue the hell out of them.

What cause of action would the OP have if the retail or or it's staff advised the OP's employer of the events described, provided it was a factual (& truthful) account.

I could foresee an action for libel or slander if there was a malicious falsehood : but "truth is an absolute defence" to such an action.

Data protection, harrassment, Blackmail etc

It has NOTHING to do with RLP and certainly not RLP's job to inform any third parties. Especially Employers.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Nobody knows. That is the shops problem and has no bearing on this issue you have posted about. If you mentioned it to the police or in court, to them it would look like you thought you got away with it once, so you thought it was ok another time. It's best to forget about this avenue.

As i said, ignore their silly threats, or send them a one line letter stating:

Dear sir,

I deny any liability to you or your associates. Any further communication will go ignored and will be used in a case of harassment should you continue to communicate with me.

Sincerely.

Just be aware that you will recieve a few more letters that will run into multiple pages, telling you this site is under criminal investigation ( we're not) and that advice from the internet is bad, ( the advice given here is in line with pretty much every legal authority and indeed is the same as the judges comments in the recent Oxford case with RLP.

Data protection, harrassment, Blackmail etc

It has NOTHING to do with RLP and certainly not RLP's job to inform any third parties. Especially Employers.

Note: I said the retailer contacting the OP's employer, not RLP.

There is no offence of "blackmail" : it is demanding money (or property) with menaces : if there is no demand ("do this or we tell"), it can't be blackmail / demanding with menaces.

"We'll inform your employer" with no "if you don't do this" attached isn't "blackmail ".

If RLP wrote "pay up or we'll inform your employer" : different kettle of fish, and I'd see if the police wanted to look at "demanding money with menaces".

Harassment?. A single episode of informing an employer of a matter that could speak to an employee's probity : if done once only, and only the truth stated : no cause of action for harassment.

Data protection?. Information must be kept and or disclosed proportionately and fairly: again, advising an employer once, truthfully, of information that could speak to an employee's probity : they can state it is "fair and proportionate"

To the OP: I'd ignore any letter from RLP, or reply once only with "I dispute any debt to you".

I suspect the retailer won't contact your employer : I doubt your employment details were recorded or that they have a process to do so, BUT I doubt you could prevent them doing so, or if they did so, once, truthfully, I doubt you'd have a cause of action against them, for the reasons set out above.

RLP ar eknown to threaten things that will happen under penalty of them doing something like taking to court, getting DCA's involved. At one point they even stated that they would share the info with the police and the "debtor" would have a criminal record.

Per harassment, it is not a single episode. Once RLP get hold of something, they hang on to it until they exhaust that avenue. It's well documented here and on other sites.

Data protection. Disclosing any personal information to a third party without the express consent of the individual involved. Thats why when DCA' s call an employer and simply state who they are and the company they work for, it is considered a blatant breach of the DPA. The could NEVER try and state it as "fair and proportionate".

@bazzaS. I really hope they do not contact my employer. Not because is the job of my life, I just could not bare the shame of being fired for this...

My confidence has been shaken and due to some recent sad episodes on my personal life I do not think I could survive this...

They wont, and if they do, as i said, they would be in serious trouble.

You are letting it get to you when there is NOTHING to worry about. All rlp do is shout and scream hoping you will break down and pay them. If you ignore them and dont give in to their silly games, then theyll just move on to someone else after sending a few letters. If you need some comfort, have a good read of the RLP forum. You'll see what i mean.

Renegadeimp.

We are not talking he about RLP contacting my employer but the manager of the store I was caught shoplifting from....

Could the supermarket directly contact my employer and let them know of what happened althought the police was and until has not been informed?

If my employer knows could they fire me althought the amount of the item wass less than £5?

Sorry to insist but I am very worried.

Thanks

@bazzaS. I really hope they do not contact my employer. Not because is the job of my life, I just could not bare the shame of being fired for this...

My confidence has been shaken and due to some recent sad episodes on my personal life I do not think I could survive this...

Take reassurance from my belief : I really doubt they would.

The retailer is unlikely to have a process to do so, and the individuals would likely not want to risk taking unilateral action for fear of being in trouble with THEIR employer.

However, renegadeimp & I may have to disagree on the (academic?) question of if they COULD (rather than if they WOULD). I don't think either of us has produced a sufficiently robust or referenced "logical argument" to yet persuade the other.

Edited by BazzaS

I'd be amazed if they contacted your employer.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

What worries me the most is that the manager saw my badge from work and mentioned that they may contact my employer and let them know and that I would be fired.

Reviewing this "how would they know what action your employer would take"? (Unless you are an employee of the same supermarket)

So, that would reinforce that they were just blustering (to make you feel worse about being caught?)

Renegadeimp.

We are not talking he about RLP contacting my employer but the manager of the store I was caught shoplifting from....

Could the supermarket directly contact my employer and let them know of what happened althought the police was and until has not been informed?

If my employer knows could they fire me althought the amount of the item wass less than £5?

Sorry to insist but I am very worried.

Thanks

It doesnt matter who you are talking about. It wont happen and that manager could be sued and/or lose his job.

Reviewing this "how would they know what action your employer would take"? (Unless you are an employee of the same supermarket)

So, that would reinforce that they were just blustering (to make you feel worse about being caught?)

No, I am not an employee of the supermarket. I work for a company that is very close to the shopping center. I actually did all my groceries shopping there, PAYING FOR IT!.

Edited by Scaredtodeath1971

See, you REALLY dont want to say that to anyone in a position of authority. To them that post would be taken as you were a habitual/career shoplifter and you are only apologetic because you have been caught. If you hadnt have been caught, you would have kept on stealing.

Thats how they would look at it.

See, you REALLY dont want to say that to anyone in a position of authority. To them that post would be taken as you were a habitual/career shoplifter and you are only apologetic because you have been caught. If you hadnt have been caught, you would have kept on stealing.

Thats how they would look at it.

Off course. Thanks again for your help.

Don't think im trying to mock you or belittle you in any way. You wanted info. I'm just letting you know how it would look to them, so you can gain something to how they are thinking about it.

Don't think im trying to mock you or belittle you in any way. You wanted info. I'm just letting you know how it would look to them, so you can gain something to how they are thinking about it.

Don't worry. That is my job! No one can belittle me more than I do.

As I said, I was not proud, now I am also ashamed and very remorseful... I would have never disclosed that info if not from the anonymity.

I see the phisical and psicological damages such a stupid thing can deliver in return... Never, ever, again.

Thanks again!

STD1971, I hope you don't mind me saying this, but you mentioned earlier that you have had some recent stress/sadness in your life. There is some fairly well documented research regarding stress/depression and impulsive or risky behaviour such as shoplifting. It may be worth you having a chat with your GP, and explaining to him or her what has been going on. They won't judge you, but they will be able to give you advice on how to deal with whatever has been happening in your life.

Please don't worry about the security guards going to your employer - it's highly unlikely to happen. If it does, come back here and people will be able to give you advice on how to deal with it.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

STD1971, I hope you don't mind me saying this, but you mentioned earlier that you have had some recent stress/sadness in your life. There is some fairly well documented research regarding stress/depression and impulsive or risky behaviour such as shoplifting. It may be worth you having a chat with your GP, and explaining to him or her what has been going on. They won't judge you, but they will be able to give you advice on how to deal with whatever has been happening in your life.

Please don't worry about the security guards going to your employer - it's highly unlikely to happen. If it does, come back here and people will be able to give you advice on how to deal with it.

LaughingGirl.

I might consider looking for advise/ treatment, but not for this. I am a very strong person but things are not going the right way lately and I think I will have to pay for it sonner than later, this is only the begining....

If my employer is contacted, I'll deal with it the best I can....

Thanks for your interest :-)

Edited by Scaredtodeath1971

My details were taken from my drining license .... What worries me the most is that the manager saw my badge from work

Why on Earth did you allow them to paw through your property in this way? Their only right is to arrest you until the Police arrive, and nothing more. If they hadn't called the police then you were being unlawfully detained, and any search they undertook without your consent was an assault.