council tax letter for jobseekers

bcham
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

just got my letter saying that on 1st april 2013 i will have to pay 25% of my council tax,

thats arround £250 a year,and then on top of that the bedroom tax is coming as well,

i thaught by law we had to have so much money coming in to live on,surley after paying this out of our £71 a week we will not have enougth money to live on,:-x

The OP didn't say their CT was £250 a year, they said that the 25% they would be paying would be £250.

OP, can you downsize your LA/HA accommodation so that you don't have spare bedrooms? How many spare bedrooms do you have? Are you applying for smaller properties?

The OP didn't say their CT was £250 a year, they said that the 25% they would be paying would be £250.

Really:madgrin:

Glad you pointed that out but i did read that in the first place:lol:

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

wish my council tax was £250 a year put another 1200 on it

From 2014 I could potentially be on £25 a week :lol: Well actually as every time I get failed it takes 7 months before it's awarded £0 a week for 7+ months :whoo:

As I am no longer considered disabled when PIP comes in I lose DLA and the new ESA sanction regime means that because I can not attend a the Work Program I'll lose it all :wink:

Now at present my DLA covers the £200 a month rent short fall, it also covers my treatment as for 5 years I've been trying to get NHS treatment but it never happens.

Thats due to a 25% cut in mental health services in 2010 followed by a 10% cuts every year for 5 years. I have tried to get help moving and I want to leave London but the measure of disability my Council uses since 2010 now means that their book of it says I get non :whoo:

I've also lost from April this year the support of the local advice center has been lost due to removal of legal aid. As I can't handle filling in a 60 page form without expert help as I'm away with the fairies I just can't wait :-o

My situation is not too dissimilar to a hell of a lot of others who post in this section of CAG so.......

Edited by citizenB
  • Haha 1

just got my letter saying that on 1st april 2013 i will have to pay 25% of my council tax,

thats arround £250 a year,and then on top of that the bedroom tax is coming as well,

i thaught by law we had to have so much money coming in to live on,surley after paying this out of our £71 a week we will not have enougth money to live on,:-x

it is unfortunate but you are one of many who are going to find themselves in similar position, the government's intent is clearly to make it impossible for people to be able to survive on benefits

if you have a spare bedroom, have you considered taking in a lodger to avoid bedroom tax, and use income to help you afford council tax costs

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

you may also be able to apply to the council for discretionary assistance with your housing costs, however funds will be seriously limited, so no guarantee you would be successful

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

:violin::violin:

There is always a option

GET A JOB

This is unacceptable. Don't do it again.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

One of my colleagues has had to remove some offensive posts from this thread. Just for reference, if you can't post something helpful, don't post anything at all.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hi

IMO I feel the OP has miss interpreted that from April 2013 they will have to pay 25% of their Council Tax and then on top of that the Bedroom Tax as that 25% they have to pay from that date will acutally be the Bedroom Tax reduction of 25%.

If the OP is unsure of this my advice would be to speak to the council to ask them to clarify the 25%.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi

IMO I feel the OP has miss interpreted that from April 2013 they will have to 25% of their Council Tax and then on top of that the Bedroom Tax as that 25% they have to pay from that date will acutally be the Bedroom Tax reduction of 25%.

If the OP is unsure of this my advice would be to speak to the council to ask them to clarify the 25%.

It could be both - CTB is being withdrawn as a national benefit, and each council has been required to devise its own way of dealing with it. Some councils have pledged to maintain full CTB for everyone, but not all are so accommodating.

So the combination of being required to pay 25% CT as well as facing a 25% cut in HB could be a serious issue for some.

it is unfortunate but you are one of many who are going to find themselves in similar position, the government's intent is clearly to make it impossible for people to be able to survive on benefits

which I could understand if they were dealing with people who won't work, but there aren't the jobs out there - so the options are not survive on benefits or.......?

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Just checked my local area and the recommendation is that everyone will have to pay a minimum of 8.5% with exceptions for pensioners and disabled people.

Not sure if this is 8.5% before or after any single person discount.

Also not sure what the definition of disabled is.

According to my JC+ I am classed as disabled because i have been getting ESA for more than a year. Bet the rules change .

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Just checked my local area and the recommendation is that everyone will have to pay a minimum of 8.5% with exceptions for pensioners and disabled people.

Not sure if this is 8.5% before or after any single person discount.

Also not sure what the definition of disabled is.

According to my JC+ I am classed as disabled because i have been getting ESA for more than a year. Bet the rules change .

difficult to offer definite advice without knowing which council

but from the various schemes i have read, -

1. the 8.5% would be of the gross charge before any other discount
  2. disabled protection will relate to those in receipt of DLA (though some councils may only apply it to specific types/rates of DLA)

if you cant find details on your councils website, let me know which council, and i will try to have a look for you

difficult to offer definite advice without knowing which council

but from the various schemes i have read, -

1. the 8.5% would be of the gross charge before any other discount
  2. disabled protection will relate to those in receipt of DLA (though some councils may only apply it to specific types/rates of DLA)

if you cant find details on your councils website, let me know which council, and i will try to have a look for you

A lot of councils still haven't set nor published details of their schemes. Some have even had their 1st attempts rejected!

Rightsnet are collating schemes as and when they are published I can't find where they've put them though?

It says in the toolkit here http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/toolkit/council_tax_support#England they're publishing each scheme but it's a bit early for me and I can't see em.

Fo the OP it will be new benefit in place from the 1st april and it will called something like council tax support, it will be administered purely by the Local Authority and DWP will have absolutely nothing to do with any part of this new benefit.

A contribution will be required from the vast majority of people unless the LA has placed exemptions are mostly those who are pensioners on low income, and those in receipt of middle or higher rate care component DLA (which is also changing to PIP from April for new claims).

Some people will also be required to pay the bedroom tax as well.

So in affect yes there could be additional costs that everyone is required to pay.

For reference, people in Scotland will be protected from this, at least for a year, as the SG and COSLA have agreed to make up the central government shortfall.

Well i have emailed my local council asking for clarification.

Its Hinckley and Bosworth.

http://moderngov.hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk/documents/s2351/LCTSappendix.pdf

the 8.5 % does appear to be against the gross charge paragraph 29(1A)

i have not managed to spot any protection gfor the disabled though

http://www.hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk/press/article/1255/all_change_for_council_tax_support

"The new scheme will require all working age claimants pay at least 8.5% of their council tax bill, even if they previously paid nothing. However, low income pensioners will be protected and will not have their benefit reduced."