Prepaid Credit Card - I received a Default Notice !!

citizenB

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3388 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This thread is being started on behalf of jmpi..

I have a default notice that I have just found out about as I asked for a copy of my credit report, it was for £40 and has been marked settled. It was for a prepaid credit card and I am not even sure how it was possible. They stated that they sent the DF to an email address that is now 4 years out of date.

The card was used maybe 3 times in 2 years, I asked them to remove it based on them not notifying me by post, I also pointed out that the email address that they claim they sent it to was over 4 years old. I asked for common sense to prevail and they are standing firm. Can I get this removed?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

First of all, I am quite surprised that you were even permitted to go even 1p into debt with a Prepaid Card.

As for sending you a default notice by email !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Which of the prepaid cards was this?

You should make a formal complaint to the card provider, reqquiring them to provide a detailed explanation as to how this situation has arisen.

I can only guess that a ''withdrawal'' slightly above the available funds was authorised and no further deposit was made on the card,

I don't think there is any CCA'74 regulated agreement on these cards.

• Haha 1

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

First of all, I am quite surprised that you were even permitted to go even 1p into debt with a Prepaid Card.

If it's one the these new generation "VISA vouchers", it's possible, because it's linked to a virtual account. There are quite a few threads on the internet about this, just google "visa vouchers".

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Indeed so, but a charge such as this should not generate a default.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Hi Guys, sorry for the delay but my father has just passed and I needed to sort out his affairs.

The card I had was called Cash Plus Master Card. There is more to this than first meets the eye, apparently I opted in or ticked a box for what they called a credit builder, this is we're they put a£100 on to your account and I pay back £5 per month. Now just let me state that I am not one of these people that state " oh I did not do it or I did not realise that I ticked the box" the truth is I couldn't honestly tell you, I may well have!

Now the fact remains that they said an email was sent to the email address they had at the time, but they also had my postal address. I received a copy of my credit file and it was a DF for £39 or £45 I can't remember exactly but it was one or the other, now it was settle when I placed £100 into they account, at this time I had not used the card for over a year.

I rang the company up and tried to explain that I never received a DF notice and if they look at the account I very very rarely used the card, I asked for common sense to prevail and for them to remove the DF from my account as a good will gesture. They refused and that is why I am here. I have worked hard to get my credit history sorted after my business of 15 years being shut due to the recession.

If I had received a DF notice via post I would have had the 28 days to sort it. Can I do anything to get this removed or set aside? Thank you

Righto, yes I can see where it has all gone wrong now. The only thing you can do is appeal to their better nature.

Ask them to revisit the situation again and cut you some slack - you might consider using the term that you "Dont believe they are Treating you Fairly". Did you actually receive the email ? If there had ever been a court claim over this, then they would have had to prove that you did !

Could it have gone into SPAM - does your ISP provider filter out and junk this kind of communication before you ever receive it. I know the post office refuse to send this stuff to inboxes until you jump through all kinds of hoops to make them aware you actually WANT to hear from company !!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Father.

BCOBS

The email address that they sent it to was my business address email, and I know that you do not know me from Adam but I def did not receive any email as me business closed over 4 years ago yet the DF notice was put on my account approx 2 years ago. I can assure you that had I received notice, for the little amount it was it would be common sense to pay with immediate effect ( in my best interest ). I have asked them to let common sense prevail but they will not budge, I will however go back and ask again but do I have grounds to get this set aside if they refuse to move?

Thank you for your kind words about my father, he was truly an inspiration that taught me to stand up for those who cannot defend themselves, to take responsibility for your own actions and to treat people the same way you would wish to be treated, he was an ex WO2 in the Royal Irish and with myself joining we have had 5 generations of family with service.

Any advice or help will be well received.

There is not really any thing such as a "set aside" for a Default notice - unless a court claim has been issued, which in this case it appears not.

Perhaps try one more time with the company retierating that you did not receive any such notice so you believe that by not sending a proper notice to your home postal address could be considered extremely unfair. That by sending to an email account that was no longer in service did not give you the opportunity to remedy the breach.

I would think your next step if they refuse to budge would be to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner.

This is the Information Commissioner's guide on issuing defaults - have a read and see if there is anything in there that you might be able to use.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41561[/ATTACH]

BCOBS