Fare evasion letter received

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4089 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

as you can probably tell I am new here and was wondering if anybody could provide me with some advice.

I recently received a letter from Northern Rail saying that I am being investigated due to an incident of non-payment of rail fare back in October.

They are now asking me to reply with a statement of my version of events.

This is what happened on that day:

I boarded a train at Moston station in Manchester heading to Manchester Victoria station.

As Moston station has no ticket machines or offices I had no choice but to board the train without buying a ticket,

normally you can buy a ticket from the conductor on board,

but because the train was very busy I could not buy a ticket before arriving at Victoria.

As I do not regularly travel on the train I am not familiar with the layout of Victoria station,

therefore after arriving I headed towards an exit believing that I could purchase a ticket from a member of staff before or at the exit.

As I approached the doors at the end of the footbridge I could see somebody checking tickets,

i assumed that I would be able to buy a ticket from this person (or get directions to buy tickets).

However before I reached the doors at the far end I was approached from behind by a ticket inspector who asked to see a ticket. (Which I could not produce).

He then asked me to speak to the person who I saw checking tickets through the doors, who would take my details.

This officer then asked me a few questions (such as where did you travel from etc.),

however then final question he asked was

"Had I not stopped you would you have carried on without paying?"

as I was panicking a lot a this point I rather stupidly said "Yes" and he made a note of this along with my other answers.

I did also tell him that I was not aware that you could not buy a ticket in this area of the station.

He then asked me to sign against the points in his notebook,

however I misheard him and instead ticked against them, and gave him the notebook back.

He then said that he actually wanted a signature I apologized and then began to sign against the points (four in total),

I began to do this but before I had signed against all of them he said "That's ok" and took the book back.

(I believe I had only signed against the first two points at this point).

He then let me go and I turned back and went to the other side of the station and purchased a ticket (as he had pointed out to me).

To clarify if I had not been stopped I would have carried on to the exit but if I had found no ticket machines or staff there

I would have returned to the station and found someone I could buy a ticket from.

Would anybody be able to give me advice with this/drafting a response to Northern rail?

Sorry about the long post

As Moston station has no ticket machines or offices I had no choice but to board the train without buying a ticket, normally you can buy a ticket from the conductor on board, but because the train was very busy I could not buy a ticket before arriving at Victoria.

This officer then asked me a few questions (such as where did you travel from etc.), however then final question he asked was "Had I not stopped you would you have carried on without paying?" as I was panicking a lot a this point I rather stupidly said "Yes" and he made a note of this along with my other answers.

To clarify if I had not been stopped I would have carried on to the exit but if I had found no ticket machines or staff there I would have returned to the station and found someone I could buy a ticket from.

Would anybody be able to give me advice with this/drafting a response to Northern rail?

Sorry about the long post

If there was no open ticket office or working (ticket / permit to travel) machine, then it was permissible to board the train, but even if the train was "busy", it was your responsibility to seek out the staff to pay : you could even have got on at / close to the door they were at at your boarding station.

As for your admission you wouldn't have paid if you hadn't been stopped, if you are now claiming you'd have gone back into the station if you'd not found someone to pay : why would you not just say that when questioned ... Even "when panicking" : if that was the truth, it is easier to say.

Additionally, while I don't know the layout of Manchester Victoria, others here will, and Northern definitely will : they'll know which platform the train from Moston comes in on.

You can write to Northern Rail apologising, and offering to pay your fare and any admin costs.

If you've never had ticketing woes before and what you've described makes sense : they may agree a settlement

They don't have to though and can proceed to summons.

I don't work in Prosecutions / on the railways, but if I did and I got a letter that seemed cogent : I'd consider it.

If I got a letter that neglected to mention a ticket office you'd had to walk past or that was hard to ignore ; I'd be less convinced.

Edited by BazzaS

Sorry I do not understand what you mean?

Hard to tell if this comment was to me, as you've not quoted who it is to.

However, apologies if the comment was to me : I started typing on a smartphone and hit "submit" too early, accidentally.

BazzaS, the train from Moston that i got off came in at Platform 5 at Victoria station I do remember this and I have put this into the draft letter that I am planning on sending to Northern Rail. Also at no point did I walk directly past a ticket office or machine.

Platform 5 is on one side of the station whereas I now know all the ticket machines and offices are on the other side of the station.