• Tweets

• You have a minimum of 10 minutes' grace period to find a parking space, read the signs, walk to the stores, later walk back, etc.  There is no maximum.  I think in COVID times when you had to wash your hands thoroughly after consuming food and there was a queue to do so 😉 13 minutes is not excessive and the fleecers' claim can be easily batted off.
    • I offered to read the meter for them based on prepayment of £2400 but they didn't respond.   I also offered to wave the fee for doing so if they send me reasonably estimated bills.
    • Agree completely.  What is disturbing is that VCS actually went for an appeal, the motorists were too lazy to turn up so Simon now has an appeal level verdict in his favour.
    • There were a number of matters that concern me in Judge Saffman's verdict. The first is  that you cannot form a contract with a forbidding  rule. This was not the case in PE v Beavis as it was within the bounds of a carpark where motorists were allowed to park their cars.  Also if a motorist who does stop when apparently they shouldn't is therefore a trespasser and as such VCS cannot sue for trespass only the landowner can do that. Secondly and the Judges in the Beavis case alluded to the fact that while the amount charged -£85- was not a penalty, that had he offence been one of secondary importance then the charge would have been a penalty.To pull off the road for 30 seconds would in most people's view be of secondary importance and therefore a penalty. It is interesting to note that the new Appeals charter for motorists will include mitigating reasons and a tiered system to differentiate between major and minor offences.  On top of that what does a driver do if a pedestrian walks out on to the road. At the moment it looks as if the driver has to run them over since to stop would bring on a fine. That would be ridiculous. And what about a tyre burst or a collision between two vehicles? The Law for the latter  is that you have to stop and exchange details. And there are several other reasons why a motorist may have to stop and none of them would be mitigating. And for every case where a "no stopping" rule has been upheld by a Judge, there have been about  five where the decision has gone the other way.   The Judge paid too much attention to the Beavis case and took its arguments into consideration to justify his reasons when the Beavis case had little similarity to the no stopping case which was confirmed by the District Judge who staed that the two cases "were substantially different on the facts".  
    • Ok I sent off my letter to Gladstone and MB, now the waiting game. I showed MSE and National Consumer Service my letter before claim response and the majority people were not impressed with my letter.   But after reading this quote on CAG, it feels like the next best approach regardless: ''No, it is not a joke reply. The more you show these con artists respect the more they will try to fleece you. Don't fill in their Section D. Treat them with contempt. They're not the police or the council, they have no right to this money and they know it.''   I still feel I've made the right decision but I feel doubtful at times with the wide amount of different opinions people have approaching this situation on the MSE and National Consumer Service forums.   (When I put in p.e.p.i.p.o.o it auto corrects to National Consumer Service)  
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

HMRC Overpayment - 2007

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2818 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Really confussed and hoping that someone can give me some advice, every year im getting the same letter then nothing for the rest of the year and no chasing every year im threated court action and it never happens, ive appealled it twice but never get a response apparently overpayment is between Aug 16th 2007 -Sept 15th 2007 because of change in circumstances, however I was unaware this was happening. Partner cant of moved in with me on 15th August as we were on holiday abroad for 2 weeks.

Statement of events so far, I am at a lost as to what to do. I can not afford to pay this over the next 12 months.

15th September 2007 - Letter from HMRC saying we are not going to ask you to pay it now no period stated or amount.

19th September 2007 - Single Claiment Amended Tax Credit award received no overpayment mentioned.

4th May 2008 - Annual Review Tax Credits Award received - Joint Names stating joint award started 16/08/2007, no payment breakdown given. Therefore no idea it was wrong.

21st August 2008 - Single Final Tax Credit Award received - overpayment mentioned.

29th September 2008 - Inland Revenue Letter of Notice to Pay to HMRC outstanding amount.

02nd October 2008 - Notice to pay £10.00 a month to HMRC with income and expenditure - no responce received from HMRC

11th November 2008 - Letter demanding full payment, threating legal proceedings.

15th November 2008 - Letter to HMRC notifying them that I had disputed their claims and letter was sent to them on 2nd October by Royal Mail track and trace. Proof sent to them of this, letter also mentions that I asked to speak to a manager at the HMRC which they refused. Letter threatens to send copies to Adjudicators Office and Parliamentary Ombudsman.

19th November 2008 - Letter confirming receipt of my correspondence saying to contact the office to agree payment, when I phoned they refused to let me pay it over more than 12 months which I couldnt afford to I took it to appeal.

20th November 2008 - I wrote to HMRC for appeal on the grounds that no overpayment mentioned at time of overpayment, letter stating no repayment needed, advised them we were on holiday on 15th

August 2007 therefore werent living together have proof if required and on the grounds that I had no idea of the overpayment as my payments matched the award notice.

21st May 2009 - Letter received from HMRC to say an overpayment of the single award was made from 16/08/2007-17/09/2007.

10th August 2009 - Notice to Pay from myself to HMRC - I wrote a response to tax credits offering a payment of £20.00 and asking them for a way to pay this due to hardship and not being able to afford anymore, I asked the HMRC to give me the options in how I could pay this, again no response from HMRC.

January/February 2012 - HMRC chasing payment again threatening payment.

28th January 2013 - HMRC chasing payment again threatening unless its paid now we will pass it to private debt collection agency.

Can anybody help I have got no idea what to do.