Fashion World - refund on a Silentnight miracoil bed

Win2Kuser
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4064 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Around 10 months ago, I bought a bed from Fashion World online catalogue.

We desperately needed a new bed, and didn't have the money at the time which is why we chose Fashion World as I have an account with them.

A couple of months ago, it became apparent that the bed was falling apart, it creaks every time you so much as move a muscle and the springs are sticking up through the mattress - it is extremely uncomfortable. We've taken to sleeping on a spare duvet and blankets to make it bearable.

Around a month ago, I contacted FW and explained the situation and said that the bed was non repairable and would need replacing. I heard nothing for a few days and was then told that I must ring Silentnight Beds directly and they would help.

I contacted SN as requested, but was lead on a merry go round ride through different persons/departments etc before finally being told that I would need to contact FW directly as they are the retailer.

One month on, and I'm still waiting for a proper answer from FW. They say that if I agree they will instruct SN beds to pickup and replace the said bed. I have said that I'm not prepared to have another SN miracoil bed as online reviews are all slating them. I have requested a full refund so that I can purchase a different brand bed from FW. I have so far been told that SN beds are unauthorised to refund my money???

I am under the impression that as the product is under 12 months old, and as it appears to be unfit for purpose, I am entitled to a full refund. Is this right?

Assuming that I am entitled to a full refund, do they have to pick up the bed?

It's a kingsize, and I had to pay a £55 delivery supplement (£58.99 total) when I purchased the bed. I certainly can't afford that kind of charge to get it back to them!

Any help anyone could give would be great...

TIA :)

Okay, I've been trying to dig through the wealth of information on the direct.gov site for consumer rights etc. It would appear that as we have had the bed over 6 months, it is up to us to prove that we have not mistreated the bed and the fault is not down to wear and tear, not sure if I got that right though?

As I'm in my 40's, my days of jumping up and down on beds has long gone, and the bed rarely sees any other action, if you know what I mean lol

I'm medium build and weigh 12 stone, my partner while much younger is of similar build and only weighs 10 stone, so a combined weight of 22 stone is not exactly pushing the bed.

Reading through some reviews of SN products online, there does appear to be a problem with the springs sticking through the top, and the base creaking etc, so one could argue that they are not fit for purpose.

Still passing emails back and forth, but currently waiting for FW to get back to me. I would ring them, but it's a premium rate number, and from past calls, they don't exactly rush the calls!

Is there much chance of getting a refund (or partial refund), or will it have to be a replacement?

If I do have to accept a replacement, can I request a slightly better bed?

TIA :)

you are correct it is for you to get the bed inspected as passed 6mts owner ship.

as a side note

how do/did you pay..

if a card of any description is involved then

under section they are equally responsible

and can bring pressure to bear here

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/31/creditcards-31.htm

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks DX,

Unfortunately, I paid via credit account with Fashion World. It's a mail order catalogue with a credit agreement.

Basically, I'm still paying for it, and will be for the next 12 months or so... :(

• 1 month later...

Just as an update to this. Finally after 3 months of arguments, they agreed to refund me in full for the Silentnight bed on the grounds that it was unfit for purpose and I was not happy to accept a replacement as I no longer had any confidence in Silentnight products :)

I do have a new thread now though as I'm having a hard time ordering a replacement bed through Fashion World. It's like they are deliberately making it hard for me to re-order a replacement.

Thanks for your help DX :D