style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everybody! I need help...

Some days ago, my girlfriend stole something at Primark :-x for 29 £, so security guards stopped her and they called the police. Police officer came, but he warned her against this kind of behavior, but without doing nothing more, because there was no prior history on the database.

However, she received an information sheet about RLP taking civil recovery. I'm not English, so I don't really know how it works.

I will be very happy if someone explain that to me.

She left her english address, but, because of her upset, she gave her old address: how can she communicate the new one?

Anyway, the most important questions are the following:

1) Can you give an idea of the amount she has to pay?

2)How long does the letter take to be received?

Thank you all in anticipation.

RLP are a Private liminted company , they have no legal status or entitlement to impose fines of any description. The only way they could enforce any type of payment is through the CIVIL courts and even then they would need to quantify the loss of the actual store owners and provide supportive evidence to show that they have entitlement to do so.

The chances of them going down this route are extremely unlikely and therefore your friend could choose to simply ignore the begging letters.

Please note that we do not condone theft of any type, but equally there can never be any justification in allowing private companies to impose penalties on members of the public.

Edited by Crocdoc

I understood that she won't have further loyal complication. I just want to know what she has to do now? Does she have to wait for a letter in which she will be informed about the amount of the compensation?

Thread moved to the RLP forum.

Your girlfriend needs to do nothing.

If a letter does turn up then either ignore it or, if you feel that a reply must be given, it is a simple one line letter along the lines of...

"Any liability to you or your client is denied. No further correspondence will be entered into"

I'm sorry for my frankness, but I'd really like to know the reason why the shop gave her that sheet. By the way, just to be sure, Is she prosecutable? In other words, can she have legal implications?

The sheet is probably just an information sheet. It is certainly nothing of any importance.

The Police are taking no action. They have simply given her a warning and as far as they are concerned the matter is closed.

RLP can take no legal action although they may try and suggest that they can.

Do some reading around the RLP forum....you will soon see what a toothless bunch RLP really are and what they are about.

Thank you so much! I asked you some explanation, because, as i told you before, I'm not English. So, basically it is nothing but an attempt to make money in some way (o simply to scare people)!

Thank you so much! I asked you some explanation, because, as i told you before, I'm not English. So, basically it is nothing but an attempt to make money in some way (o simply to scare people)!

Absolutely....you got it spot on :-)

Last question: is it absolutely forbidden to return in the same shop in the future?

Was she given a letter telling her that she was banned from that shop or chain of shops? If not no, if yes then yes prohibited but in reality after a few months who would remember her?

SHe will be able to return, but she'd need to wait a few weeks until primarks guards rotate to other stores. This is so she can avoid any harassment by them, as since she did steal from them, they will be looking out for her, and others for the forseeable future.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D