• Tweets

• Hi Dave, Yep .... Will have to do AOS tomorrow .... Are you referring to CPR 31.14 Request?
    • I don't think I've ever seen someone appeal a mags court decision on fare evasion, JK, but as you say in this case TiredDodo has pleaded guilty. It is possible to challenge, as below. HB Appeal a magistrates’ court decision: Overview - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to challenge a decision by a magistrates' court. Including how to get a fine reviewed, if you did not know about your case, how to appeal to the...  
    • Update! I have now opened the mail from Barclaycard. I am assuming that their letters were prompted by my confirmation to them of my change of address, which I had advised them of twice. They are treating my change of address notification as a "General Data Protection Regulation Right of Access Request"  and state that I have made a "Right of Access Request. They are asking me to provide valid indentity documents! I have made no such request and am minded to ignore their request for extra information? I should add that their letters were sent to my correct current address!
    • Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lowell and Dryden fairfax/old capital one account help

alibobsy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4072 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

the above defaulted account was sold onto Lowell a few years ago.

At that point I served them with a CCA for which they could only provide a "made up" application

I wrote pointing out they were in default of the CCA and that as they failed to provide an original application

I could only conclude they didn't hold one

I therefore considered the account to be in permanent dispute (all this done with the brilliant info on this site).

All went quiet with them and alonside other accounts in default of CCA requests I was waiting for the 6 years to pass.

The other old account Lowell had has now become statue barred-they recently passed this to Red collections so I hung on till it went SB and have now informed them.

now..getting a few calls from leeds numbers I ignored over the past few weeks.

Today get a letter from DF to say if no payment or arrangement by 11/2 they will commence legal action.

I will be double checking regarding the SB date, but the default doesn't drop off till late 2013

and I believe the last payment to have been shortly before that, so not yet there.

Other info

total figure between 1k and 2k (don't want to give exact figures for obvious reasons).

Plus the original account with capital one is currently with the FOS for the PPI (the adjudicator found in my favour,

but CO won't pay up and want the ombudsman to take a look.

Not sure this is relavent though as the account was sold to capital one in full.

I am wondering if the CCA request still stands or do I need a fresh one?

Not sure what route of attack to take on this one and would appreciate any advice.

I am thinking contact to both L and DF and assume I take the line the CCA request is still not satisfied

(from the FOS capital one have said there is no agreement and they now allege it was online only).

Would appreciate any input of the best way to proceed.

Ali x

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

All ccj's now dropped off file, 2 yrs to go to clear file.

All old debts either settled or made unenforcable.

RBS MPP-Full offer at 8 wks from first complaint

RBS Overdraft loanguard-full offer at 8 wks from complaint

Citicard ppi-with FOS finally paid 8 months after offer through FOS!

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

aqua x2 ppi-partialled settled still pushing for the rest

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment

The previous CCA request is still non compliant.

SB date is from the first missed payment - NOT when the default was placed on your account.

Many DCAs will argue that limitation accrues from the time when the "default notice" is issued. It does not.

Limitation clock starts ticking from when the payment is due and not paid not when they send a default notice.

We see often that CRA entries will date 5 or 6 months ahead of when the payment was missed.

People need to be sure that they aren’t being hoodwinked and that the DCA is extending limitation so they can sue when they are not allowed to.

However, you could if you wish send another one or simply respond to the DCA advising that your CCA request made on DATE has still not been complied with.

And then if I were you, I would move heaven and earth to establish the last payment you did indeed make.

Do be aware that it could be possible that whoever you made the CCA request to - could have applied the statutory fee to the account. Note : That would be an unsolicited payment to the account and does not reset the SB clock.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Please be aware that Lowells are issuing stat demands like confetti at the moment so you need to be on the ball.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hmm, think my best bet is to get the papers out again and work out the actual statute barred date.

Thanks

Ali x

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment

Found the date and as I thought not SB till late this year. So I think it will be the CCA line then. Will check I still have the proof of posting from the orginal-should have as not thrown away any paperwork since. Will write re the CCA or do a fresh one.

Ali x

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

Depends a lot on how old the card is, crap1 didnt have anything like compliant agreements pre about 06, i would either ignore but at the same time be aware and prepare for the possible SD, or bombard them with endless letters re non compliance with s78, until the matter becomes stat barred

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

Yep its older than that from 2003 in fact. So I don't think they have any kind of enforcable agreement. I would guess they are having a last push before it goes statute barred later this year.

Going to get out the original docs from the CCA so I can give the exact date it was served to them, I will send the queries to both lowell and DF and try to delay until SB.

Ali x

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

Hmm may have a problem with this now. Looks like the CCA request went to the OC not the DCA, but it clearly shows as a £1 payment on the transaction reports the DCA sent to try to convince me to cough up. Shouldn't this have been held by the OC as "in dispute" rather than sold on.

Will still do the letter and do a fresh CCA request if they start moaning. Wondering if to point out the fact I am not currently working to see if they will stick me on the can't pay pile (I don't have that money even if I was inclined to pay up lol) rather than the won't pay.

As they are saying they will proceed with court action can I ask for disclosure of docs they would be relying on in court?

Ali x

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

if you've not already got all the statements

get an SAR off to cap1 now

you could have PENALTY charges & PPI to get back

and as its been SOLD

they'll be to YOUR POCKET if reclaimed

but be quick

the limit on charges is 6yrs

PPI no limit

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The PPI claim is already with the FOS at the mo, the adjudicator found in my favour but CO won't accept and insist it goes before an ombudsman. I based the PPI claim on the transaction sheets lowell supplied-not a full set though plus the statements I hold, but I think a SAR to CO is the way to go, I did claim some earlier charges which they settled before court, but there are some £12 ones after that that may be claimable. It might be the SAR pushes them to get the PPi claim settled-can't hurt.

I also am confused about the actual SB date. On the lists the DCA sent I can see my CCA £1 shows on the account and a payment (which makes the SB date in the next 2 months), then some kind of weird list of "write off" figures followed by 2 lots of £10 payments (which would push the SB date back), but I can't see I would make payments after the CCA and the sale. All seems a bit fishy to me so I think I need the SAR to clarify. Will also have a good root around and check what papers I hold from the time-there should be a folder stashed away somewhere.

Will get the SAR off before any court action happens (if it does) to give me a chance to get the info re it being statute barred.

I am wondering if I can get them to correspond and delay till the first possible SB date then hit them with SB letter (hopefully will have the SAR results by then).

Off to finish letters to L/DF and a SAR to the OC then will get sorting paperwork to get a clearer picture of what happened 5 years ago.

TY for all the comments and thoughts.

Ali x

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

hints of the phantom payment dodges used by dca's here.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If you are absolutely sure you didnt make those payments, then you are perfectly entitled to ask how they were made.

If by cheque then they should have the details

if by postal order, then they should the details

if by bank transfer, then you want them provide the bank from which the payments were made

if over the counter at the bank - then there should be a signed stamped receipt.

if by card, then again they should be able to provide the details.

Unless the payment can be proved to be from you then it is an unsolicited gift and does not affect the SB timings.

BCOBS

OK thanks for the info guys. Will wait for SAR results and see what the reply from L and DF is.

If the earlier payment prior to the CCA request is the last actual payment from me this will be SB in a couple of months, so hopefully that will show on the SAR.

Mind you either way its worth raising with L to see what they come back with even if the SAR isn't clear.

Meanwhile DF have written to say L have "kindly" offered to knock me 20% off the bill, like that makes it any more affordable or enforcable. I assume the fact they are already offering money off suggests they aren't keen on court action?

Thanks

Ali x

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

It can generally be an indication that they arent as sure of their case as they might like to admit.

Capone appears to have sold on a few duff accounts one way or another. Do please be aware though that Lowell are issuing stat demands like confetti and although we appear to be seeing most of them set aside then the sooner you receive information and you are better placed to understand what state the account is in, the better.

BCOBS

Update SAR with capital one so will see what comes back.

L alledge they and CO have sent me a copy agreement,

but CO didn't even send a reconstructed one,

just a copy of T & C that was from a different period not from when the account was opened.

L allege a full set of statements was sent,

when I actually got an incomplete list of transactions with the first couple of months missing and the next few months with just balances no transactions.

In fact CO initially said the agreement was archived and they were trying to trace it, later to the FOS regarding the PPI reclaim

they now say there is no paper agreement and allege it was all done online-when a mentioned to the FOS could CO provide a copy of the online stuff it was a no lol.

Written back to L with the above info and asking for agreement/transactions again,

meantime HF have written separately to say the "discount" is now withdrawn as I didn't respond quickly enough

and that they intend to seek a CCJ in court unless I contact them to make an arrangement or raise a defence with them (?),

then all the usual blurb about it we get a CCJ we may send the baliffs, get a CO etc etc.

So a bit wishy washy and still asking for me to pay or make an arrangement.

I am not sure if they will go to court or not as the amount is just at that point where it could be seen either way-its under 2k

so not an obvious definately force the matter to court, but not low enough to think its not cost effective for them to do it.

Just for info does anyone have an idea of timescales eg if they took it took court and I defended and it went to a judge

but I lost and had the 28 days to pay up the money to avoid it appearing on my credit file.

What period am I looking at to try to save up the money "just in case".

Think I would rather cut back now and try to scrape it together and then if I did win its mine to keep anyway,

just don't want my credit file stuck for another 6 years just as things are looking better and dropping off if I can avoid it.

Mind you we have no intention of moving house in the near future so not that big a deal I suppose.

Still hoping one of the PPI claims I have with the FOS coughs up soon as I would feel better about defending this if I knew I had the money to back me up if the worse came to the worse.

So will see what the next response is.

Thanks ev1

Ali x

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

pers i'd stop all comms now

await the sar return.

the fact they have 'removed' the discount means nothing

it still has a discount so means its dodgy

they'll not do court.

it matters not if it was online

they will still need the full CCA.

just willy waving.

dx

and they

Agree with all dx is saying above.

If, and its a big if they issued a court claim, and you indicated your intention to defend all, then you would have 33 days to file a defence, then assuming it ever got to a hearing it would be several months after that, then you have the 28 days to pay whatever the ccj says.

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site