• Tweets

• Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
    • Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! edit ok thanks Honeybee here's my 2nd (actually 3rd) attempt at anonymising, copying and uploading the notice! Sorry about the state of it - I sat on it while distracted by my dog 🙃 pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
    • ROFL - dont get upset just because someone (quite a lot of someones) dont want smart meters - well unless you get paid for it .. in which case ...   I assume you haven't been with Octopus long enough to be on one of the very long fixed price tariffs they offered before the prices went bonkers .. and that you dont use your electricity in the evening/lunch time if you think the 'agile type tariffs are good value .. let alone worth installing a smart meter for - high price a good disincentive for an evening cuppa eh? Let alone all your computer/tv etc time in the peak price evening or lunch time. - and boy do those peak prices instantly hammer your bill when those Russian and middle eastern issues kick off.   I would only have considered a smart meter if solar panels had been an option for me - but roof is oriented completely the wrong way. Oh - and My opinion hasn't changed since the smart meter trials 40 years ago, because neither have the issues (well not enough) but I'm happy for you. Be happy for me.
    • Hi. I'm afraid I've had to hide your post with the pdf files to keep this anonymous for you. You've left the PCN reference number and your car reg showing. Could you edit that and repost please? HB    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

solo card cancelled and threating letter

I_feel_cheated
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6395 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I do not have an overdraft facility

but in the past my account has gone up to £500 overdrawn and yeah sure the charges are applied but thats it.

Anyway since they paid out on a claim of mine they have actually charged me more in the last 8 weeks then they have during the last 6 months

So last week my card gets swallowed up for a debt which is made up of charges, a letter gets sent in the post, saying that I have to return the card and failure to pay the £xxx will result in more further action. To be honest I'm not too bothered about losing my solo card at the moment, but not having a debit card could cause problems in the future, esp over Christmas when I need to order stuff off the net for Christmas presents (I never buy presents in shops as I don't like shopping)

So I am writing them the same letter as before (saved to harddrive so just need to change dates) along with a new schedule of charges, and will ask for a refund. Once I have the refund I can then try and get the card back

But I have a funny feeling that they want to close my account as I have no loans or credit cards with them and also its a graduate account so I don't get charged for going overdrawn, just for card abuse and returned cheques and they know I know that these charges can be claimed back, so I am of no finicial value to them.

Thats the thanks I get after being with them for over 11 years.

HSBC Prelim Letter sent 08/08 recorded delivery requesting £1645 - offer made of £1420 on 18/08 and accepted

:) - a HUGE ;) thanks to CAG.

22/08 DPA to Capital One Sent recorded delivery

22/08 DPA to RBS Advanta Sent recorded delivery

ALWAYS USE RECORDED DELIVERY

Why dont you open a new account online with Natwest or Barclaycard to cover yourself?

HSBC 1st preliminary letter £3692 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

HSBC 1st Preliminary Letter £3280 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

Capital 1 SADR 11.10.006

Halifax Visa SADR 11.10.06

CITI SADR 12.10.06

HSBC Gold card SADR 23.10.06

covered myself for that a while ago but could only get a basic account with a cash card, still I really have had enough of HSBC so I am going to stop using them, start using Lloyds and have my wages paid into my that account, and move my direct debits over - to get treated like that after being a customer for 11 years and having taken out 3 loans previously I think it stinks.

HSBC Prelim Letter sent 08/08 recorded delivery requesting £1645 - offer made of £1420 on 18/08 and accepted

covered myself for that a while ago but could only get a basic account with a cash card, still I really have had enough of HSBC so I am going to stop using them, start using Lloyds and have my wages paid into my that account, and move my direct debits over - to get treated like that after being a customer for 11 years and having taken out 3 loans previously I think it stinks.

Been a nat west customer for 22 years and the loyalty on the banks part is nil.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

there is no loyalty form banks at all. i have been with HSBC since it was midland years ago and they have not even bothered to answer my letters:mad: im suing them tomorrow and i assume ill stop ebing a "good customer " round about then :p just bear in mind that lots of the banks are affilliated with one another, barclays with woolwich, natwest with RBOS etc.

me against the abbey Paid in full (donation made)

me against the woolwich Paid in full(donation made)

me against HSBC Paid in full(donation made)

beware the scrapbooker, for she has a long memory and sharp knives :lol:

I quite agree but to be forewarned is to be forearmed as they say

HSBC 1st preliminary letter £3692 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

HSBC 1st Preliminary Letter £3280 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

Capital 1 SADR 11.10.006

Halifax Visa SADR 11.10.06

CITI SADR 12.10.06

HSBC Gold card SADR 23.10.06

Mr Colin Langdale xxxxx

HSBC Bank plc xxxxx

Arlington business centre xxxxx

Millshaw park lane xxxxx

Leeds xxxxxx

LS11 0PP

15/10/2006

Dear Colin,

BANK ACCOUNT NO xxxxxxxx

RE: REQUEST FOR REFUND OF CHARGES

Firstly, I am very disappointed that I am forced to write to you yet again, please ensure this letter is fully read and that all points I raise are fully responded to in writing.

My request

I write with reference to my current account with you. Over the past few months I am disappointed that I have noticed a number of charges still being levied, allegedly connected with the costs involved in CARD MISUSE and UNPAID ITEM, please see the attached schedule for a breakdown of these so called charges. I would like to express my objection to each of these charges, and ask for their reversal. These charges have also resulted in the services of my SOLO card being withdrawn.

I am of the view that your charges represent a penalty and are therefore irrecoverable at common law. In the Scottish case of Castaneda and Others v. Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. (1904) 12 SLT 498 the House of Lords held that a contractual party can only recover damages for actual or liquidated losses incurred from a breach of contract. This is also the position in English law: Wilson v Love [1896]; Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79; Ford Motor Co v Armstrong [1915]; Bridge v Campbell Discount Co. Ltd [1962]; Murray v Leisureplay [2004]. Your charges do not reflect any actual or real loss, instead they appear to represent a lucrative profit-making scheme.

UK banks have recently given evidence to the House of Commons Treasury Committee on how bank charges are calculated: "The costs are going to pay for all the people we have who pursue debt, collect debt, speak to customers and chase payments. The way these charges are arrived at is by taking these total costs and making some assumptions about the volume that is going to come through to arrive at the individual charges" (2nd report, 25 January 2005, paragraph 50).

On a separate note, your charges appear to represent an unfair term of contract which is contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI. 1999/2083). My account falls within the ambit of Regulation 5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 as I am a consumer. Your charges constitute an unfair penalty under reference to paragraph 1(e) of schedule 2 of the said regulations:

Indicative and non-exhaustive list of terms which may be regarded as unfair - 1. Terms which have the object of effect of - (e) requiring any consumer who fails his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation’.

On 26 July 2005 the OFT stated that 'a charge is likely to be disproportionately high if it is more than a court would be likely to award if the lender sued the cardholder for breach of contract'. Because your charges include a lucrative profit margin, in addition to actual loss, they are irrecoverable as an unfair term in contract.

The fact that these charges were applied has meant that even after additional funds were credited to the account which would normally have been sufficient, on some occasions the balance has remained overdrawn or otherwise insufficient. As a result, additional transactions have been processed when inadequate funds were available in my account, and additional charges applied. I believe the term vicious circle applies to this situation, and as such, it could constitute a clear breach of the Banking Code.

Regardless of the wording of the automated letters sent to me, these charges constitute a penalty charge, as the amounts bear no relation to the actual damages incurred by you. I have been advised to remind you that such penalty charges are legally unenforceable, even if a clause exists in the Terms and Conditions that authorises such a charge.

The charges have also worsened my already fragile financial status. I am on a low income, and I am struggling to pay off debts. I would like to think that you will take note of my delicate situation, you are the listening bank remember.

What I require

I calculate that, as at today’s date, you have taken a nett total of £XXX and I request that you refund this amount in full and I enclose a schedule of the charges which I am claiming with this letter.

Targets to resolve this matter

I expect you to enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and write on the assumption that you will prefer to do this rather than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

You have 10 working days, from receipt of this letter (i.e. by Thursday 23 August 2006), to reply unconditionally accepting my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond, or do not respond positively, within this time period, I shall send you a further letter before action allowing a further 10 working days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that there will be no further communication from myself and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline. The continued relentless bombardment of charges may have weakened me financially, but I can assure you my resolve has never been stronger.

Further to the above and after seeking advice, I am also of the view that because I am making a second claim, you will try and close my account. I request you keep my account active, partly because I feel that out of all the UK Banks, your standard of customer service is the highest. Also due to my fragile financial situation, closing my account will cause me serious difficulties and my wages will not be able to be paid into the account, throughout my working history, every wage I have ever received has been paid into HSBC, and always on time to clear any overdraft balance. I would be grateful if you could keep the account active. However, if HSBC decides to terminate my contract and my account is closed, I will have no choice but to write to my local MP and contact the BBC. If you close my account I would suggest you make sure that this is not a breach of the Banking Code, as this may result in additional action from myself.

I look forward to hearing from you by return.

Yours faithfully,

XXXXXXXXXXXX

gonna send the above letter off tomorrow, along with two CCA letters to DCA's.

My £10 cheque to RBS was cancelled by HSBC, and I haven't had time to focus on that, but CAP 1 went through, and I received a break down. Out of a debt of £1500, £1150 of that is made up of charges.

On a separate note, has anyone had any dealings with these PRE-PAID mastercard's. Yeah there is a charge of 4.95 per month so we are talking £60 a year, but I am thinking of one as most of my purchases are on line.

year I wish I did not give in and acceppt the part payment, bunch of t405585s........don't give in get the full amount, RBS and CAP 1 will not be let off the hook, and when my house is in order EGG are next on the list, this won't happen untill the new year though.

I request you keep my account active, partly because I feel that out of all the UK Banks, your standard of customer service is the highest

I know but if the matter does get to the BBC or whoever, then at least I have asked them nicely and have praised them, but to be frank like all the banks, CS is very bad indeed.

I have just noticed a charge of £75........TOTAL charges...however this was taken after the charges had already been deducted, so I need to go to the bank tomorrow.

I do not have an overdraft facility

but in the past my account has gone up to £500 overdrawn and yeah sure the charges are applied but thats it.

Anyway since they paid out on a claim of mine they have actually charged me more in the last 8 weeks then they have during the last 6 months

So last week my card gets swallowed up for a debt which is made up of charges, a letter gets sent in the post, saying that I have to return the card and failure to pay the £xxx will result in more further action.

Thats the thanks I get after being with them for over 11 years.

Been there as well ! Aren't we similar so far in our debt profiles !

If you don't return the card they'll send someone to get it (NCO financial services) and they charged me a "Card Recovery Fee" of £58.75 back in 2003.

(Which I am claiming back now :p )

I have had an account with them for 14 years, since I was on a Midland LiveCash account, which is actually interesting come to think of it as it means I was under 16 when I signed the contract, does this make any difference to their T&C validity?

Thanks,

Will

HSBC:

Sent S.A.R via email- 08/08/06 :confused:

Rec'd Std letter : Asking me to quantify claim and use internet banking - 14/08/06 :evil:

Rec'd 6 years bank statements and Std letter apologising for delay - 17/08/06 :rolleyes:

Prelim Claim for £3173.25 Sent via post and email - 17/08/06 :cool: Rec'd std letter : Don't agree unenforceable, we think we'd win in court etc, blah, blah, blah. :mad:

MCOL Filed for £4042.64 - 22/09/06

Capital One : Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) - 17/08/06

CitiCard : Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) - 17/08/06