Is furniture shops allowed to ask banking fees on returned goods? - South Africa

Belinda3958
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Day

I hope you can give me some advise on my problem!

We bought a Lounge Suite on 25 Jan 2013 from Furn-4-U. After they offloaded the goods and we unwrapped it we realise that it was damaged. The material was damaged on each couch. It look like they have put screws in after they have put the material on. The next day we went back and asked if we can return the set and get a refund. The sales lady said it wont be a problem we just have to take the set back to the store rooms and come back on Monday because the lady doing refunds does not work on weekends. On Monday i went back then the manager told me i must pay a amount of R450-00 (which is also 10% of the amount we payed for the lounge suite) banking fees because it is not his problem the furniture is damaged. He want us to pay for his suppliers mistakes. Is he allowed to charge me any fees? We still haven't received our money back.

Thank You

He has no right to charge you fees whatsoever.

If the goods were faulty you have the right to reject and receive a full refund. If he wants to talk fees that must be with his supplier not you as his customer.

Personally I'd ask once more and then write a lba giving him 7 days.

Hi - a big welcome to the CAG forum.

We are really a UK site but I'm sure that for your situation is the same for you in South Africa - because there is a strong influence from UK law.

The goods were supplied in damaged state. This means that the supplier is completely responsible for them and for all expenses incurred as a result including the cost of returning the goods and any associated charges.

You have been doing it all on the phone so far. That's fine - but remember that you don't have any evidence of what is being said. It is a good idea to record calls when you can.

I don't know what your local court system is like in RSA but you should visit your local court and find out how easy it is to bring a claim and find out how to do it.

Maybe you can let us know on these pages so that others can learn as well.

You can post up the name of the supplier here. That kind of bad publicity can often persuade retailers to take their customer service more seriously.

Takes lot so photos of the items and the damage. Make detailed notes of everything - including all conversations - and keep all original paperwork.

Here is some information about your courts - http://www.justice.gov.za/scc/scc.htm

Find your closest court in the Limpopo area and go and have a chat with them.

I am sure that they will be very helpful.

Make sure that you tell them the value of your claim and ask them if that comes within their small claims limits.

Thank you for your advise. I have contacted the Consumer Commission and they advised me to put a complaint against the company. The lady drafted a notice

today and will be delivering it to them next week. She said they will give the company 5 days to respond. If they do not respond in 5 days they will give it over

to the court.

I feel so terrible doing this but R450-00 is allot of money for my family and i am not willing to pay for mistakes that i did not make.

I will keep you updated on the process but i am sure it will take at least 2 weeks.

We will find a better place for this thread but there will be a link to it for you in the welcome forum where it is now.

Yes, please do keep us informed - and also please tell your friends about us. Although we are a UK group if enough people from RSA come here, there will be some good advice and support for them as well.

We never turn anyone away - and it is all free.

Consumers everywhere have very similar problems and the solutions are often very similar as well.

I've just been looking at the small claims website in South Africa.

It looks very good.

No legal representation at all. This means that a litigant in person will not be bullied by some well-resourced bank or debt collector who has instructed a barrister.

Very advanced thinking. We should follow their example in the UK