DLA - applied 4 months ago but being assessed under new rules

mickrick
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4139 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope I'm in the right forum for this - if not, please move.

I had a serious accident in June last year, resulting in permanent nerve damage from a fractured spine and prolapsed discs. I also suffer from infrequent bladder incontinence arising from this. I am awaiting assessment for surgery to try and correct at least some of the damage. In the meantime, I cannot walk without the aid of a stick, and only short distancesat that, and I am unable to drive due to pain and discomfort. I rely on my wife (or taxis) to get around. I have been housebound for 7 months with only doctors appintments and a short break away with my wife to a spa resort to break the tedium. Anyway, thats the background information to this question.

I applied for DLA in October under the rules in place then (disabled for 3 months and liable to be for at least a further 6 months etc) and I received a letter soon after saying my claim pack had been received and it could take up to 12 weeks to assess.

I received a letter last week asking me to nominate others who would be best placed to give a statement as to my disability and how it affects me, on the claim pack enclosed. It wasn't enclosed. I contacted CAB (who helped me complete the initial claim pack) and the girl I spoke to said she had never heard of this before and it must be part of the new rules taking effect. I contacted DLA and was told just to return the letter to them stating that I was only seeing my GP at the minute. I asked if they had written to my GP, which both CAB and my GP said they would, and was told my GP hadn't replied yet and they will send him a reminder.

I'm surprised that my GP hasn't replied as he is fully aware of my injuries and how they are affecting me and is treating them very seriously.

But more than anything else, I'm concerned that DLA are applying new, harsher rules to my application, which was made under the previous rules.

Shouldn't the rules in place at the time af application apply?