INDEFINITE and/or LIFE TIME

udaymorjaria
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Do you have a copy of the policy - terms and conditions ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ah right, I see you are making a comparison against a private company as opposed to the government award. Gotcha !1

TBH, I really dont know if it is legal or not - If you do have a lifetime or indefinite award, short of them providing absolute proof that you have no entitlement - then I am not sure how the "government" can renege on that.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Sorry citizenB, I was thinking about I.B as I had an a life time/indefinite award and now it has change as we all know.

what gov. is doing is it legal?

Yes, it is legal. A life insurance policy is governed by civil contract law, and as CitizenB noted, the terms and conditions will dictate what each party to the contract is required to do.

Benefits are not governed this way. Parliament passes laws that define how benefits are paid.

• Haha 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

TBH, I really dont know if it is legal or not - If you do have a lifetime or indefinite award, short of them providing absolute proof that you have no entitlement - then I am not sure how the "government" can renege on that.

The key here is that while the government is bound by its own laws, it is also able to change the laws. So if the party in government doesn't like lifetime entitlement to IB, it just legislates it away. Simple, elegant and perfectly legal - albeit reprehensible.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thanks antone, that makes things a lot clearer :)

BCOBS

The key here is that while the government is bound by its own laws, it is also able to change the laws. So if the party in government doesn't like lifetime entitlement to IB, it just legislates it away. Simple, elegant and perfectly legal - albeit reprehensible.

I have stated previously that if the DWP/DLA have stated you are 'Disabled for life' and you then get denied the same rate of PIP, they cannot simply wipe that away with a few bits of paper. They may think they can but I suspect a High Court Judge and the ECHR will think differently.

People have had to change their entire lifestyles and made life changing decisions based on the DLA's statement that they were Disabled for life. I would go so far as to say that a Contract existed, though that would need to be tested. But they cannot get away with stating one thing then simply changing their minds without being challenged and facing the consequences should they then lose.

I will be quite happy to challenge them in court and then the ECHR should my DLA/PIP be reduced.

Taking a poke at the world

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

I have stated previously that if the DWP/DLA have stated you are 'Disabled for life' and you then get denied the same rate of PIP, they cannot simply wipe that away with a few bits of paper. They may think they can but I suspect a High Court Judge and the ECHR will think differently.

People have had to change their entire lifestyles and made life changing decisions based on the DLA's statement that they were Disabled for life. I would go so far as to say that a Contract existed, though that would need to be tested. But they cannot get away with stating one thing then simply changing their minds without being challenged and facing the consequences should they then lose.

I will be quite happy to challenge them in court and then the ECHR should my DLA/PIP be reduced.

Go for it - I don't post these things because I agree with them, but because I think I'm reading the law correctly. I would dearly love to be proven wrong. I do think it's a stretch to say that a "contract" exists between a benefit recipient and the government, but if someone can make that view stick, heck, I won't be arguing.

Go for it - I don't post these things because I agree with them, but because I think I'm reading the law correctly. I would dearly love to be proven wrong. I do think it's a stretch to say that a "contract" exists between a benefit recipient and the government, but if someone can make that view stick, heck, I won't be arguing.

I do think a contract exists, on a basic legal basis there is offer and acceptance. I accept the fact that THEY state I am Disabled for life. They made that decision not I, their offer was Incapacity benefits and DLA. They would pay me those benefits based on a set of contractual rules which I had to follow. There are other issues which I consider form a contract but I'll pass over them at the moment.

But apart from the contractual argument:

Because of decisions THEY made, I was forced to make life changing decisions that I might not have otherwise made if they had not said that. By making that decision that I was Disabled for life they made me (and many others) enter into a mental state, that we effectively had no future, no hope, no chance and we had to change our life to meet those challenges.

There are many decisions that I had to make back in the early 90's that, had they not told me I was Disabled for life that I would not have made.

They cannot simply wipe those decisions away with a few pages of new rules, without some fists and strong words flying. If they now are moving the goalposts telling some of us we are NOT Disabled for life then someone is responsible.

Taking a poke at the world

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

I do think a contract exists, on a basic legal basis there is offer and acceptance. I accept the fact that THEY state I am Disabled for life. They made that decision not I, their offer was Incapacity benefits and DLA. They would pay me those benefits based on a set of contractual rules which I had to follow. There are other issues which I consider form a contract but I'll pass over them at the moment.

But apart from the contractual argument:

Because of decisions THEY made, I was forced to make life changing decisions that I might not have otherwise made if they had not said that. By making that decision that I was Disabled for life they made me (and many others) enter into a mental state, that we effectively had no future, no hope, no chance and we had to change our life to meet those challenges.

There are many decisions that I had to make back in the early 90's that, had they not told me I was Disabled for life that I would not have made.

They cannot simply wipe those decisions away with a few pages of new rules, without some fists and strong words flying. If they now are moving the goalposts telling some of us we are NOT Disabled for life then someone is responsible.

I can not agree more with you I am in same boat

Yes, it is legal. A life insurance policy is governed by civil contract law, and as CitizenB noted, the terms and conditions will dictate what each party to the contract is required to do.

Benefits are not governed this way. Parliament passes laws that define how benefits are paid.

Yes you are right but once it has agreed by law can this changed ?

i just read some where that once it is in writing it can not be changed however for new claiment it is new rule and new law dose apply.

I personaly think this is wrong