Parking in unsigned bay within CPZ

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes, For bays with individually marked spaces, the beginning and end of a bay should have double white lines.

Bays without individually marked spaces should start and end with a single row of white lines. However personally I've always thought that on it's own it's a weak appeal point.

My fear is that they will say the sign on the other side of the road is sufficient.

They may, but I think that could be challenged successfully. Parking restrictions are often different on each side of the road and I believe drivers have received valid PCNs when their "defence" has been they looked at the sign across the road. I think there are examples in London particularly where you may find one side of the road is in Borough A and the other side is in Borough B, so not even the same authority and certainly not the same restrictions.

So if their "defence" fails because they looked at signage on the other side of the road, then your's would automatically succeed in expecting the signage to be on the side of the road to which it applies.

I really cannot see the point of this thread? You haven't got a PCN and realise you may get one if you park in the bays discussed without the required ticket, so why do it? Yes you may save a few quid but you may also end up paying £100 for a few hours parking. If you watched 'parking mad' on the BBC the other week you may remember the man who proudly went about getting PCNs in what he considered unenforceable bays, if you didn't see it I suggest you do (I won't spoil the ending)!

I really cannot see the point of this thread? You haven't got a PCN and realise you may get one if you park in the bays discussed without the required ticket, so why do it? Yes you may save a few quid but you may also end up paying £100 for a few hours parking. If you watched 'parking mad' on the BBC the other week you may remember the man who proudly went about getting PCNs in what he considered unenforceable bays, if you didn't see it I suggest you do (I won't spoil the ending)!

The difference between the OP and the guy on "parking mad" though G&M is that the OP isn't trying to get parking tickets that he then wants to challenge as a technicality, the OP believes he is parking legally and correctly and is just trying to double-double check that he hasn't misunderstood some type of signage.

I see no reason to advise him to avoid parking there if he has taken all reasonable steps to investigate whether he is in contravention.

The difference between the OP and the guy on "parking mad" though G&M is that the OP isn't trying to get parking tickets that he then wants to challenge as a technicality, the OP believes he is parking legally and correctly and is just trying to double-double check that he hasn't misunderstood some type of signage.

I see no reason to advise him to avoid parking there if he has taken all reasonable steps to investigate whether he is in contravention.

Really?

I am guessing that the local authority has simply omitted to move the sign showing the hours of restriction to the other side of the road when the newer bays were created.

If I were to park in the unsigned bay, would I have a strong case if I were to receive a pcn?

I joined this forum as I understood that its purpose was to help members with asserting their consumer rights. If a parking bay is incorrectly signed, does the motorist have the right to use it? That was the point of my starting this thread. Parking Mad looks quite interesting, but I am unlikely to go further than an appeal to the parking adjudicators.

Edited by Andrew Parker

I am guessing that the local authority has simply omitted to move the sign showing the hours of restriction to the other side of the road when the newer bays were created.

in which case there is no signage in place on the new bay and therefore no restriction on their use is there?

but I am unlikely to go further than an appeal to the parking adjudicators.

I think you may have to go to adjudicator though. I suspect the council will reject your informal/formal appeals, but I can't see how an adjudicator would reject your appeal when you can show CPZ signage stating each bay will have it's own signage, and the bay you were in has none. How are you supposed to "guess" how/when these bays came into being and the (possible) fact that they replaced the bays on the other side of the road and even if they did that they were to carry the exact same restrictions on use.

Take 'record' photos of the bay as it is now showing there are no signs at present.

I had the same situation a while back and received daily PCNs almost every day for three weeks. The Council rejected my informal representations,while a sign suddenly appeared - they maintained the sign was always there.

Fortunately I had photos (with imprinted dates) taken on the approprite dates.

On being presented with the photos the Council withdrew all 13 PCNs.

Nothing said. No apology. No contribution to my costs.

Lying barstewards!

I doubt you will get a PCN if you park there. Apart from anything else, how would the CEO "know" what contravention you were supposed to be committing? There are many different types of parking space and a PCN has to state sepcifically which restriction you are in breach of. There isn't one - as it stands, it's just a parking spot for anyone to use.