hp laptop screen showing crack across screen...3 weeks out of warranty

slimliz30
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4092 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all.

my daughter bought a hp laptop from currys.

..in christmas 2011.

.so about 3 weeks out of warrant,

went down to their store and with no qualms they said it was a manufacturer's problem and not there's....

..the problem was a cracked screen in the pixels.

..not on the main screen...

..cannot see a thing.

.this was not dropped or anything else.

...quoted the sales of goods act to no avail.

.said i had to get a independant look at the laptop then go for HP....

..and not curry's problem..

.also they did not even bother to look at the laptop..

..any help and advice will be great..

.never done this before.

..thanks

wrong!!

it IS curry's problem

doesn't matter about warranty.

that EXTRA to SOGA.

they are entitled to get you to get it inspected.

then pop it into them for repair under soga

you should get your insp money back too.

are you sure its not got 3yrs from HP...many have.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

hi thanks...they said get an inspection but will have to pay the costs..i have checked on the hp site and it says warranty expired 4th jan...how do i go about with soga and trying to enforce it. ( without them fobbing me off ).what should i say..and how do i get my inspection money back..thanks again

also is my argument with hp or currys

squarely curry's

when the repair they will pay the insp costs

you need to read the SOGA link here

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/forcustomers

there are lots of threads here regarding like issues

where thewy say not our problem

most end with them captulating

have a read and you'll get the idea of what to do.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

you may struggle a little hp's own spec sheets always class any type of cracked screen as miss use

having said that get an indipendanat expert to look at it - they might show something up

it will depend alot on if cracks go from a central point or single crack etc

the good news is that it is likely to be a 15.6 led screen which may even be cheaper than an indipenant expert

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Whilst the responsibility for the product under SOGA is with Currys/Dixons Group, you may find it extremely difficult to prove that the laptop has not been misused.

If you wish to take the product for an independant report make sure the engineer checks the casing screws around the screen for tightness/slackness as this really is the only thing that can cause a screen to break on its own.

• 2 weeks later...
Cracked screens don't just happen on their own. they won't repair unless you are very lucky.

thanks for that pearl of your wisdom.

having worked on computers for +35 yrs , i can assure you they do.

dx

and they

Your the daughter, you press the lid of the laptop too hard or put something heavy on it, do you tell the truth and risk getting in trouble with your parents or lie and blame the computer?

Having been on this earth for 35+ years, things just don't get damaged without reason. Technical faults yes, a cracked screen IS NOT A TECHNICAL FAULT.

Dx is right regarding the cracked screen. It could very easily be caused by something as simple as temperature changes. OR even the laptop upper lid not fitting correctly, so when it closes, even if the lid is just 1-2 mm out of place, the screen will crack if you are unaware when you close the lid.

Think about your car windscreen. You have a small chip for whatever reason. You don;t think anything of it, or even notice it, regardless of how it happened. You switch your air con on, or heater and *crack*. Same principle can apply to laptop screens.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

It would then show straight away rather than 13 months later.

They are fragile objects, its happened to laptops before, it will happen to laptops again.

Cheap and cheerful laptops often meet this kind of end.

Not necessarily. Trust me. I worked as a PC tech for a well known manufacture and have seen pretty much every conceivable condition that a PC could come in as.

I agree with your last statement though. Thats why when i see people looking for a laptop, i simply tell them "You get what you pay for". If it seems like a deal too good to be true, with laptops, it ALWAYS is.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

it matters not the quality of any laptop

if it fails through no fault of the user

they have redress under soga 'unfit for purpose'

no matter what the 'fault' is

and they

I think this has been discussed to death in all technical forums I know. All PC manufacturers insert a clause in their warranty that excludes cracked screens. Period. It's unfair but that's what it is. Is it challengeable in court? I don't know.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Thats the thing san. It is VERY hard to prove that a defect caused the crack. There are many scenarios that can cause it, but proving one of them is VERY hard.

Most common cause of cracked screen is leaving a pen on the keyboard and closing the lid.

The gamble going down the SOGA route is you need an engineers report which they will have to refund you if it was a manufacturing problem.

So pay that money and you may get a free repair or you may be out of pocket by the cost of a report.

In your place I would want to be 100% sure that there was no little "accident"

If you are that sure, email the CEO [email protected]

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar