style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4089 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got outside the door and was apprehended, taken to the Security room etc and banned for 12 months, and notified that the RLP would be in touch at some point in the future.

Now, i've come home, searched the internet for a good while and worked myself up.

I'm looking for some advice on what i should do when they get in touch?

As the police weren't there/cautioned me etc, i'm aware i don't have a criminal record, and won't be getting one soon.

I'm also aware that i've signed nothing regarding the RLP, although i did sign a statement regarding the ban, i did not use my signature, just a scribble.

From what i gather, if the RLP say "Pay x amount" I'm legally under no obligation to do so?

I understand they theoretically COULD summon me to Civil Court, but it would cost them to do so?

I won't lie, I am immensely anxious right now.

Help is appreciated :-D

Edited by tyrano
Removed identifying details

For them to summon you to court, they would need a basis on which to claim. They have none. The shop didnt do anything, and the police werent involved. If RLP come ont he scene, its because they want to spoof money from you. Simple as that.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

So would it be reasonable for me to ignore this situation, obviously unless it DID come to an actual summons being served?

I don't relish the idea of paying, and have actually composed a letter to the Branch manager asking if there were some other way i could make amends, i'll be sending that on monday.

I'm a bit remiss to contact RLP at all if im honest.

Edited by tyrano

You can ignore it, which is cags advice, or you can send them a one line letter denying any liability to them or their partners. Whichever you choose, RLP will send a few letters, increasing in length ( some over 2 pages long and some even saying CAG is being investigated for criminal activity), but theyll give up when you dont reply.

The ONLY time RLP takes people to court is if they think they are on to an easy cash cow.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

So, i'm thinking of following that advice and dealing with Primark directly instead

I mean the Security team didn't seem fussed, only fussed i signed the banning order?

Edited by tyrano

I would wait until the third of fourth letter. Just ignore everything for now, as when you reply, that could mark you as a potential cash cow and they will step up a gear.

One thing to add, if you get a letter from any DCA, let us know. RLP and more-so the DCA would be in serious trouble with the OFT.

Okay, from what i've read it takes a while for them to consider a DCA, and as my "crime" wasn't exactly heist of the century i can't imagine they'd bother.

I'll be here straight away should i hear anything though! :)

Again, thanks for your advice/information, i know i did wrong but i'm seeking a FAIR way to make amends for a moment of stupidity, forget about "£212 travel expenses!!" :smile:

If they involve a DCA

Yeah, im asking the management if i might be able to make amends some other way.

I can't expect them to say yes but, in all fairness, i don't have a huge steady income to make RLP a viability for them anyway so, they'd benefit more from dealing directly with me!! :s

Edited by tyrano

Dont even mention RLP. Just write it off your own back as you are very sorry, and you wish to make amends. If you start mentioning RLP, it will just look like you are trying to get out of paying them.

And please bear in mind that RLP love to lift posts from this forum and then send them to you to show that they know who you are and tell you how bad the advice you are receiving is.

Best not to give too much away about what you actually do as they will pounce on that - write only in generic terms.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

And please bear in mind that RLP love to lift posts from this forum and then send them to you to show that they know who you are and tell you how bad the advice you are receiving is.

Best not to give too much away about what you actually do as they will pounce on that - write only in generic terms.

I'll be editing my previous posts shortly, thanks :)

Okay, i've composed my letter to the management, composed one to appeal the duration of the RCO ban, and I'll take it from there when i hear back. Thanks again to everyone for your help thus far :)

Just for clarity, unless the company were EXPLICITLY instructed RLP to do so, they can't take me to Civil Court, demand any money or "debts" or make me do anything i don't want to, yes?

I've been listening/reading, i'm just one of lifes worriers!

RLP cant take you to court. Only the retailer can.

Nope. RLP are just someone cheering them on through the sidelines. Only The store or the stores solicitors can start court action. The cases RLP started themselves, were never defended so they won by default. The case that was properly defended, RLP and the store lost BIG TIME. The judge even railed RLP and went into detail about how they had no real basis for a claim.

If you are interested, theres a link to the oxford court case on these forums. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?356933-Oxford-Retail-Loss-Prevention-A-Retailer&highlight=Oxford+Judgment

If they involve a DCA

Hi.

Rightly said I believe renegadeimp is revering to my situation, take a look at my thread.

Rightly so I gave them the overpayment that was incorrectly added to my credit card , by a geiniue mistake on the cashiers part , I won't go into detail , if interested take a look.

I'm happy the store acted correctly in the matter and believed it was a honest mistake.

I did include a copy of letter I received from the store for anyone to view if you so wish.

Its a bit different from people who own up to the act but i believe stores have a duty to be fair to whom ever shows genuine remorse and could in some cases use there goodwil or discretion in some matters.

Renegadeimp is most helpful and listen to his advice and many others on here who are far more aware of such matters than in sure many many others.

Regards deltapete.

Ps If you ever get a store letter hold onto it , to me its gold dust. :-)

Hey guys.

So i received my RLP letter today, i have the privilege of making a £130 contribution to the costs within 14 days.

For everyone's information i get £198 a month .

I'm also waiting for a callback from the branch, i wrote a decent apology letter last week and have had to chase it up to hear back, which is annoying/slightly unprofessional i suppose.

All things going to plan the store manager will accept my apology and "hopefully" see if she can't call off the RLP dogs.

If not, i'm under the impression that to ignore and send a deniability letter and do things that way?

Cheers again guys :)

Ignore RLP. If they doi take you to court ( which is VERY VERY rare), if you form a proper defence and cite the oxford case, they would be laughed right out of there.

:) Thanks man

Again when the letter arrived, £130 is just money i dream about having. It's not impossible for me to get, but it's not gonna happen within 14 days. I'm remiss to contact RLP because i'm sure they'd say along the lines of "You didn't deny liability we're taking you to court for the full £1 million" or whatever.

Annoyingly i called the branch today, they received my letter but hadn't replied. I talked to the manager, she seemed sweet but told me she'd get their head of security to contact me and arrange something. Guess what didn't happen next!

Again, thankyou, i'm a worrier by profession and everyone on here with experience of winning/being left alone in the end really gives me hope.

Obviously if i had the cash spare and it was LEGALLY binding, of course i'd pay. I dont condone theft and feel stupid for trying it but, i can't stomach paying a middleman a speculatively plucked amount when the punishment doesn't fit the crime!

Wait. Why would she tell her head of security to deal with it, when the complaint/issue is addressed to the manager of the store?