Previous Occupant

jagpanther

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3401 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have read other posts on this topic, please bear with me

I keep receiving letters from DCA for previous occupant, I have written to them explaining person not known to me, and do not have an address for previous occupant ,(& put them back in post 'not known at this address')

I now think it is time to write to the OFT and complain, and I said I would do, to the DCA in question

has anyone had any success with the OFT and getting the DCA to stop sending their letters to my address?

( if so did you use a template letter, ? )

thanks in advance

just write on the evn

not at this address

and put them back in the postbox

you should NOT be opening them

nor

replying

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If you complain to the ICO or OFT, they will probably say that you need to make a formal complaint to the DCA concerned first. I have had this situation and the only way I stopped post was to write to the DCA's compliance manager, threatening to inform the ICO. If they keep sending third party information to an address where the data subject is not resident, they are in breach of the Data Protection Act.

What you will find however, is that 6 months down the line, the debt will be sold on to another DCA and you will have to do the same.

You could follow DX advice above, just to return the envelopes marked ' addressee not at this address', but my experience is that the DCA will then just keep writing and could send a door step collection agency to make enquiries. Also one of the DCA's I dealt with actually phoned neighbours, as they did not believe me that the debtor had moved.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Guys, he knows how to deal with sending the letters back. He wants to know how to deal with the DCA's that dont understand that the debtor does not live there.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

poss a issue for brig to advise on

however, the normal MO is to follow above.

the trouble with writing back is they dont get read

and just encourage more spam.

and just sell it on.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have lived at this address for 5 years now, and I regularly get letters from DCA's for the three! previous tenants, I open them 'in error' purely because I am entitled to know who or what I may be opening the door too.

I have gone down the route of returning their letters 'RTS not known at this address' but this just encourages them, even ringing them (I have Truecall) and informing them that the person they are looking for no longer lives here, simply falls on deaf ears, I just file them away in the ignore section of my filing system, and to date none of the threats of 'doorstep' collectors have ever materialised.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

In this situation, I used to just send the letters back as addressee not at address, but this does not work. Still letters, phone calls, and actually one doorstep visit.

The only way it stopped was writing to the compliance managers at the DCA's. It does need to be the compliance manager, as letters addressed to anyone else just get ignored. For example with Lowells complaints sent to the CEO were ignored and they only stopped after a further complaint was actually registered by a new complaints manager.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The only way it stopped was writing to the compliance managers at the DCA's. It does need to be the compliance manager, as letters addressed to anyone else just get ignored. For example with Lowells complaints sent to the CEO were ignored and they only stopped after a further complaint was actually registered by a new complaints manager.

emm, that is good advice, thanks,

thanks for all others too

I have lived at this address for 5 years now, and I regularly get letters from DCA's for the three! previous tenants, I open them 'in error' purely because I am entitled to know who or what I may be opening the door too.

The law says otherwise, but it is of course perfectly legal to Google the return address, determine who the sender is, and then return the unopened letter/s to the appropriate compliance manager.

The law says otherwise, but it is of course perfectly legal to Google the return address, determine who the sender is, and then return the unopened letter/s to the appropriate compliance manager.

What law ?

This has been debated before and I am sure someone who was legally qualified/aware of these matters, advised that it was legal to open mail addressed to someone else, but received at your address. It was something to do with how the information found from opening someone elses post was actually used. If it was used purely to stop unwanted post coming to the address that was ok, but it were used to commit a criminal offence that that would be a different matter.

Actually here is the law

interfering with mail - Postal Services Act 2000 Section 84

Triable Summarily (Magistrates court)

6 Months and or a fine (Max)

A person commits an offence if they without reasonable excuse intentionally delay or open a postal packet in the course of transmission by post or intentionally opens a mail bag.

A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse, opens a postal packet which they know or suspect to have been delivered incorrectly.

If you work for the Post service you could commit other offences under Section 83 triable either way (Magistrates or Crown court) and get a sentence of 2 years and or a fine.

unclebulgaria67

you say in your post,

compliance manager

complaints manager

are they one of the same ?

thanks

The one that you want is the compliance manager

What law ?

This has been debated before and I am sure someone who was legally qualified/aware of these matters, advised that it was legal to open mail addressed to someone else, but received at your address. It was something to do with how the information found from opening someone elses post was actually used. If it was used purely to stop unwanted post coming to the address that was ok, but it were used to commit a criminal offence that that would be a different matter.

Actually here is the law

interfering with mail - Postal Services Act 2000 Section 84

Triable Summarily (Magistrates court)

6 Months and or a fine (Max)

A person commits an offence if they without reasonable excuse intentionally delay or open a postal packet in the course of transmission by post or intentionally opens a mail bag.

A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse, opens a postal packet which they know or suspect to have been delivered incorrectly.

If you work for the Post service you could commit other offences under Section 83 triable either way (Magistrates or Crown court) and get a sentence of 2 years and or a fine.

"You should never open post that is not addressed to you, even if it has come through your letterbox. It is against the law to open, destroy, hide or delay any post that is addressed to someone else."[http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_post_e/consumer_problems_with_post_e/consumer_problems_with_post_delivery_e/youre_receiving_someone_elses_mail.htm]

The bottom line, though, is that there no need to open wrongly delivered mail, regardless of its origin. If there is a return address, it's not rocket science to work out what sort of letter it is, and if not, let Royal Mail in Belfast deal with it.

Edited by Staraker