How can I report screening of illegal downloads?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4054 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, let me say that in principle I have no issues with people downloading copyrighted movies as I have no sympathy for the music/movie industry.

However in this case I have a problem with the noise originating from a nearby guest house (see my previous posts). I have already a thing in process about the noise with the Council but it's going nowhere.

The 'rogue' guest house has installed a new mega PA system. I know people who have worked there who told me they have installed a projector in the hall and connected it to a laptop of theirs. They are projecting movies that seem to be pirated as the quality is very low and signs appear on the screen "For your consideration".

It is also very likely that they have used their own ISP to download them. I am also told that they don't have a licence to screen movies at all, although to be honest I don't know if they need one as they don't serve food or alcohol to non-guests. I know the name of their ISP and might contact them. My questions:

1) Do they need a licence to project movies at all, regardless of their legality?

2) Is it a crime or is it illegal at all to project pirated movies to residents in a public area or is it only illegal to download them?

3) Do I need to inform the Council?

4) Can I report this to some anti-piracy authority?

5) Could I be counter sued by the B&B in any way?

Any help appreciated.

Edited by bruteforce

As far as I can tell, he'd need a Public Screening License. Take a look at the link below for details:

http://www.filmbank.co.uk/

In answer to your questions

1. Yes, apparently.

2. Yes, I believe it is.

3. You can, but I don't how much they'd do about it.

4. Definitely - info should be on the link above.

5. I can't imagine what they'd sue you for - they'd have to demonstrate that they suffered a financial loss due to your actions, and I doubt any judge would take them seriously if their financial loss resulted from you reporting them for illegal activity.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Report it to crimestoppers. They will escalate it higher.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

You can report it to FACT, but if it goes through crimestoppers, theres more chance of getting things sorted.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

might also be worth trying to contact the film companys direct

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

It's easier to go through crimestoppers. That is the recommended way that going all around the shop.

• 1 month later...

An update on my circumstances: before going for the crime reporting route I emailed Filmbank. I've sent an email to the HotelVision and SeaVision department explaing the circumstances three weeks ago but I got no reply. I forwarded the same email to other departments and yet no reply.

Of course I could go through Crimestopper but now I think that if even Filmbank don't care about this, so won't the police. This guest house has received so many complaints but they're still there and do what they want.

If I went through Crimestoppers most likely it will go nowhere and they would know it was me and I fear for their revenge. The owners are dodgy geeks and would have no trouble convincing one of their guest to do some harm.

I know I sound paranoid at this stage but that's what it looks like to me.

contact MPLC as it is infringment of copyright to show films withoutr a licence also they may need a premises licnce check that with the council, also noise abatement is coucils responsibility

• Confused 1

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

contact MPLC as it is infringment of copyright to show films withoutr a licence also they may need a premises licnce check that with the council, also noise abatement is coucils responsibility

Thanks.I'll try that.

That's a good point actually! They will almost certainly require an "Entertainment Licence" from the Local Council. Pub's and so on require one even just for a television or jukebox iirc. I bet this fine establishment has neglected to bother the Council over one - purely with the Council's best interests at heart of course, the poor dears are probably so busy they don't need distracting with yet more work filling out licences and taking the payment for them...:-D

Hell hath no fury like a Local Authority Scorned. Especially when theres a few quid's worth of licence fee to be earned! the very minimum they will owe will be around £200...

This link is from the first council website that popped up when I googled who needs a licence fee:

http://www.eastbourne.gov.uk/business/licences/alcohol-entertainment/when/entertainment/

The list includes:

An exhibition of a film

You even need one for hosting Dart's Matches, so playing films to an audience, even a small one definately seems to meet the requirements for an Entertaiment Licence.

It is actually also entirely possible that as a commercial business, the Guest House will also require a Licence from the Performing Rights Society, so contact them too, as they usually seem to be extremely keen at catching "offenders" and raising their revenue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

for your concideration = screener i believe or a wip (work in progress) both pre release and digitally watermarked for security, so the know where it came from and therefore illegal to screen by anyone other than the authorised viewer/s ( i believe )

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.