style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3064 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Was in boots today,

Not going to go into too much detail but I was stopped and returned to the store following a moment of idiocy stealing 3 small items..

The security guard and a manager sat with me for no more then 24 minuites then said they are going to ban me from the store then gave me a letter saying I will be contacted by the RLP.

I admitted what I did. Apologized.. They werent mad or anything really..

Im scared this letters going to be like £140.00 and I cant afford that.

I also cant let my mother hear about this as i will be kicked out of my house!

Ive read allot of the posts on here but noone has said about ignoring letters and being left alone or sending the one line answer and being left alone and im scared!

If they harass me im ****ed and i CANNOT go to court.

What can I do please help me..

Try and calm down, I know it's frightening. If the Police weren't called I doubt very much you'll be going anywhere near a Court. You'll get plenty of help from the lovely people on here so checkk back a bit later. In the meantime, try not to worry too much.

Hi Fxcked, First stop panicking the worst is over.

If the police were not called and you were not taken to the police station the matter is now over, the store choose to handle this matter internally

Would the store be able to put the 3 small items back on the shelf and re-sell? Were they still in perfect new condition?

If yes then the store has not lost anything and any letters from RLP are a speculative invoice which you can ignore, I'm sure others will be on here too to confirm this.

If you shoplift and get caught the only action the company can do is either:

1: called the police and prosecute you

2: Ban you from all stores and then let you go with the threat of a RLP invoice

It is ludicrous that a company can make money from a crime and that's the reason why 90% of all

shoplifting isn't reported anymore to the police, if reported to the police they don't make any money.

It makes me laugh that these companies although theft/shop lifting is taken into accounts have come up with a way

to actually make money from people shop/lifting. I have no doubt they like shop/lifters as they make £s off them in

a big way.

George

RLP cannot do anything. Just ignore them. If they send a ton of letters keep ignoring them. They are spoofers. They exist purely to make money off threatening people. The judge in the recent oxford case pretty much agreed with it. THey have no basis for any claim, and only the retailer can bring a claim to court, which they will very likely NOT do, due to the ruling of the oxford case.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

The items were taken back to the shelves whilst I was there, They will be sold again.

Its just the risk of court thats scaring me, I am listening to your advice trust me its just if boots take me to court then my life will be ****ed, mother would kick me out.. she hates dishonesty and I know someone will say "Tell her". My fathers dead and loosing my mother would be the worst thing I could do so letting her know could cause me to loose contact and be kicked out.. thats not a risk id take for £140.

If its a sure thing I wont get into big **** I will ignore them but.. Im still scared..

@ biggeorge, even if they involve the police, they will still refer it to RLP.

I expect everyone is correct about the chance of being taken to civil court, i.e. very unlikely, but that still leaves you with the chance of a letter being seen by your mother. Perhaps a way of avoiding that would be to get your mail re-directed by royal mail. Perhaps someone else could confirm if that would be an option? I know it would cost on a monthly basis, but would be less than RLP would ask for, and could prevent any awkwardness with your family. Anyone else think this could work?

RLP cannot do anything. Just ignore them. If they send a ton of letters keep ignoring them. They are spoofers. They exist purely to make money off threatening people. The judge in the recent oxford case pretty much agreed with it. THey have no basis for any claim, and only the retailer can bring a claim to court, which they will very likely NOT do, due to the ruling of the oxford case.

Hello there.

Here's a link to the forum sticky about the Oxford case, it might reassure you.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?356933-Oxford-Retail-Loss-Prevention-A-Retailer&highlight=Oxford+Judgment

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Simple fact is that RLP cannot sue you - only the retailer can, and in view of the circumstances I have no doubt that they will just forget about the incident, leaving RLP to concentrate on trying to fleece you in order to add to their own profits.

Come back for reassurance whenever you need it - especially if they also try to phone you. Should they do that, refuse to answer any 'security' questions that they are obliged to go through before even telling you what they want and insist that you will only communicate in writing. As above, that communication would amount to nothing more than a denial of any liability to RLP or their client.

Edited by Sidewinder
Misread original post

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!