VCS parking charge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3804 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We recieved a parking charge from Vehicle controls services on the 18th of decemember for staying 22 minutes over the 2 hours contracted. After my disgust of a charge from a private profitable organisation I look around the internet. I found a standardised letter and sent them this email,

To whom it may concern,

I received notification of a parking charge your company believe you can charge me for parking my car in the car park in st andrews retail park.

Firstly your so called notice is nothing but an attempt to frighten people into paying your invalid charges. The so called notice is not legally binding as no contract agreed or implied has been entered into by my self.

I believe that as your company is a private company and is not associated with either the local council or police authority, your charge is invalid.

I have not and will never enter in to any contract agreed or implied with your company nor have I broken any law or statute. I have returned your notice clearly marked "No Contract Return To Sender" as I have no wish to enter into contract with your company.

Further action on my part will incur charges which be chargeable to your company!

My charges will be invoiced at the following rates...

Initial Charge of £250 then £100 each time I have to respond in relation to this matter. All legal expenses and costs will be charged in addition to the above charges. Pursuing this matter will trigger these charges and by doing so, your company agrees to these terms.

I look forward to your response within 7 days.

Regards,

They never Dropped the charge and sent an invoice saying we can pay early payment of £60 which will go upto £100 on the 5/2/13.

What further action should we take? I believe the parking company is damaging the retail site themselfs by giving such outrageous charges (especially since we spent over £100)... we have been avoiding the site ever since!

My mum is worried and is on the edge of paying up (since my grandma will go halfs "£30 each"). I told her I would lay down the extra £40.

Right attitude but wrong letter.

Look through this site but also at VCS v Ibbotson for further info

Vehicle Cntrl v Ibbotson.pdf

yep that's the jist of my invoice hehe... Since they are persueing the case doesn't that mean they theoretically agreed to our contract? and if so would that greaty reduce the chance of them taking it to court? I just need verification because It's not my charge and I'm not the one paying...

• 9 months later...

Hi, I really need to some advice on this too. My mum has had a letter sent asking for £60, I told her to ignore this following advice on this and other sites. This initial letter had 2 pictures of her car showing front and rear plates and declared an overstay of 30 minutes. She has just had the follow-up letter requesting £100.

Given that the actual fine is £100 (£40 is only a discount for early payment) a £3+ per minute charge is outrageous!

It was my intention to tell her to ignore this letter too. I have considered getting in touch with the owners of the car park (although I have tried and so far failed to determine who owns the carpark) to ask theem to justify the charges. I have also tried to find out who owns the shopping center and can't even find this out, which really surprised me, I thought this would be readily available information!

Please could anyone advise on what we should do:

Simply ignore the letter?

Contact the carpark owners (as mentioned above)?

if anyone could help with how I find out who owns the carpark that would be much appreciated.

In addition, there is a lot of advice which states that they cannot prosecute if they do no know who the driver of the vehicle was, however on the back of the notice they state that the "Vehicle Keeper may/will be liable for the Parking Charge under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (effective 1st October 2012)" - could anyone shed any light on this?!

We would be really thankful for any help.

Edited by Phil2011