• Tweets

• a 'witness' to it not arriving till the 15th is sadly immaterial too. regardless to the above anyway, the PCN remains valid. 
    • Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ministry of Justice today release the Government's response to the Consultation Paper on Bailiff Reform.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You obviously haven't read my last post on this thread. Some of the reasons given for higher charge scales is the extra costs because of disputed ownership, disputes over charges and legal difficulties. Firstly a Fi Fa writ is extraordinarily easy to obtain, a doddle, so no great cost there then. Disputed ownership might be a tricky one with business debts because of varied ownerships of premises, different limited companies, personal ownership etc but really not that bad because all PLC and Ltd companies are online together with financial status. I would classify those problems as very easy to sort out by a moderately intelligent person in a few minutes. Disputes over charges occur simply because HCEO companies charge far more than they should. I would warrant that 90% of costs hearings probably go with the debtor.

In the case of personal creditors and sole traders there is no greater difficulty than that faced by a certified bailiff.

The simple fact is that HCEO companies have been driving a coach and horses through the legal system and the Masters at the High Court are fed up with dealing with fall out.

I would agree with it being some of the costs but my experience is the staffing requirements needed to deal with the amount of clients outweighs this significantly.

The process of obtaining a Writ still takes time as there is a lot of data entry initially and of course time costs money.

I disagree with your comment on businesses ownership of goods. It is always difficult and usually spurious claims that aren't in any financial accounts that are costly and time consuming to deal with.

Again with regard to fees I disagree. For sure, there are some HCEOs charges that appear to be excessive but I do not believe that the industry as a whole charge more than it should.

And almost certainly, most detailed assessments that I am aware of go largely in the favour the HCEO.

What is ridiculous about educating people on their rights, and getting the lawful, legal ways of protecting your goods from levy into public knowledge?

There is nothing wrong with educating people on their rights but aiding rogue debtors who do not pay individuals and small businesses keep there assets out of 'bailiffs' reach is not the way to go. Remember, HCEOs recover around £65M a year, much of which is for Joe Public and the struggling small businesses.

I would agree with it being some of the costs but my experience is the staffing requirements needed to deal with the amount of clients outweighs this significantly.

The process of obtaining a Writ still takes time as there is a lot of data entry initially and of course time costs money.

I disagree with your comment on businesses ownership of goods. It is always difficult and usually spurious claims that aren't in any financial accounts that are costly and time consuming to deal with.

Again with regard to fees I disagree. For sure, there are some HCEOs charges that appear to be excessive but I do not believe that the industry as a whole charge more than it should.

And almost certainly, most detailed assessments that I am aware of go largely in the favour the HCEO.

Restricting myself to one point about obtaining a Fi Fa writ. The excercise of obtaining a writ is legally and administratively trivial which does make your other responses somewhat less credible. I do know if you are an actual HCEO or one of their enforcement officers but I can assure you that I've been on both sides of the fence. I hade multiple bad debts as a small business a few years ago, I did obtain judgement but the money wasn't collected most times, the solicitors I used were clueless.

In relation to the consultation I would say that HCEO enforcement should have two fee scales, one for PLC's and Limited companies and one for sole traders and private citizens. I believe that the High Court fees should be applied accurately and use of extra charges only used when a service is actually provided. I believe it should be a criminal offence to overcharge.

"What lunatic system do we run where private debt is only enforced by public officials, and public debt is enforced only by private staff." To make accountability difficult perhaps.

Quite so, any challenge ends up being kicked around until it goes in the bin

For the information of HCEOs, the debtors of whom he speaks who are dodging payment etc are not usually the sort who will post on CAG, those coming here are usually trying to pay debt but ending up in a spiral of threats and ever increasing and unaffordable fees

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

HCEOs are entitled to charge more because the costs of running the back office are significantly higher than a 'Bailiff' company. I would argue, like Alex Dehayen put in his 2009 report, that the main costs increase is due to dealing with thousands of different clients, mostly individuals and small businesses, that reuire our help to get back money they are rightfully owed. Most 'Bailiff Companies' have a handful of LA/HMCTS clients that are managed by bulk reporting etc.

And your last point is plain ridiculous.

HCEO, I am sorry but I would disagree with your comment.

Firstly, you are not correct concerning Alex Dehayen. As you may know, he was paid a lot of money by MoJ to undertake the task of establishing a fair fee scale. His task was not easy. The first stumbling block being that with the exception of approx 6 companies they do not file full accounts at Companaies House. Therefore it was most difficult to ascertain the actual overheads etc. Companies were therefore "encouraged" to be "transparent" and to complete financial information to Alex Dehayen. Was this done........ARE YOU JOKING!!!

Most companies would not allow AD access to their financial records. When it came to HCEO's it is my understanding ( and I am willing to be corrected) that AD was only able to obtain "accurate" financial information from Marston Group.

Since Alex's report in 2009, there has indeed been a lot of change in HCEO work and it is my understanding ( and again correct me if I am wrong) that the number of CCJ referred to them have REDUCED. Furthermore, it was thought that a lot of employment tribunal claims would be made. This was the case at first but again, the numbers have reduced significantly.

HCEO, I am sorry but I would disagree with your comment.

Firstly, you are not correct concerning Alex Dehayen. As you may know, he was paid a lot of money by MoJ to undertake the task of establishing a fair fee scale. His task was not easy. The first stumbling block being that with the exception of approx 6 companies they do not file full accounts at Companaies House. Therefore it was most difficult to ascertain the actual overheads etc. Companies were therefore "encouraged" to be "transparent" and to complete financial information to Alex Dehayen. Was this done........ARE YOU JOKING!!!

Most companies would not allow AD access to their financial records. When it came to HCEO's it is my understanding ( and I am willing to be corrected) that AD was only able to obtain "accurate" financial information from Marston Group.

Since Alex's report in 2009, there has indeed been a lot of change in HCEO work and it is my understanding ( and again correct me if I am wrong) that the number of CCJ referred to them have REDUCED. Furthermore, it was thought that a lot of employment tribunal claims would be made. This was the case at first but again, the numbers have reduced significantly.

TT, to my knowledge AD was indeed given financial records by all of the companies he approached. In the HCEO world there are only really 6 companies worth obtaining that information from anyway, which covered the top 4 and some smaller concerns.

With regard to the amount of work passed to HCEOs I can confirm that the last 5 years the figure has been knocking around the 70,000 mark. It crept up to this from circa 50,000 in 2004. This does not include repossessions and is only Writs of Fi Fa.

Brassnecked is also right about the people that post on here not necessarily being the 'won't pays' but more the 'can't pays', although I have witnessed a good few 'porkys' being told about cases I know personally....

@HCEOs "although I have witnessed a good few 'porkys' being told about cases I know personally...."

That goes with the territory, whilst at CAB I came across people who you knew were stringing a line, but you are obliged to help, and one cannot be judgmental, one must advise as best as possible given a set of circumstances. If the enforcer has acted correctly, then a poster should be advised of the fact and advised to deal with them in the first instance and come back if there are any problems, it is only when there have been blatant and repeated transgressions , by a bailiff or HCEO, that other avenues need to be explored. Unfortunately it is more of the latter that come on here.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Sorry but in fact all bailiff and HCEO co's did NOT provide financial information to AD.

Request for Information (RFI Forms) were sent to approx 55 bailiff companiesand approx 10 HCEO firms. This bailiff companies were all those who are members of either ACEA or ESA

They were also sent to every local authority (by CIPFA)

AD received a total of just 15 responses from Members of ACEA, ESA and HCEOA.

Five responses were received from High Court Enforcement firms. ACEA, ESA and HCEOA each provided a response.

AD was “"disappointed" that from 333 local authorities who received RFI Forms only 11 LA's responded.

Most importantly, AD also commented that it was difficult to test whether the financial info was correct as so few companies filed full account with Companies House. He also stated the following:

"It is important to recognise that EACs/ HCEACs might have incentives toprovide inaccurate data to potentially attempt to mislead the fee settingprocess to their benefit"

Clearly, the enforcement industry could not be seen as being "transparent"....

Sorry I should have advised that I was talking about HCEOs and not the Bailiff industry. I am aware that not all HCEOs were contacted by AD but you confirm my thoughts that it sounds like the ones he did contact. responded. Unfortunately, I can't comment for the Bailiff industry.

In any area of business most companies do not file full accounts with companies house as it gives there competitors an insight into there business affairs. Nothing wrong with that.

HCEO

On the matter of Companies House I disagree with you. With respect bailiff companies are NOT like any other companies. In fact, they are unique in that they are collecters of government debts and I personally think that it is important for a local authority to know whether a company only turn over £500,000 or £5 million.

This could indicate how good or how bad a company are in collecting debts.

Also, as the LA are representing the government they should be in position to know if a Director of an enforcement company is taking £1million in salary or £75,000. It is called "transparency".

Also, by providing "full accounts" the bailiff co would need to disclose how many bailiffs they employ. This is crucial info when considering "tender awards".

There is a another "little gem" which I will come to later. Be patient....you will enjoy this.....

HCEO

On the matter of Companies House I disagree with you. With respect bailiff companies are NOT like any other companies. In fact, they are unique in that they are collecters of government debts and I personally think that it is important for a local authority to know whether a company only turn over £500,000 or £5 million.

This could indicate how good or how bad a company are in collecting debts.

Also, as the LA are representing the government they should be in position to know if a Director of an enforcement company is taking £1million in salary or £75,000. It is called "transparency".

Also, by providing "full accounts" the bailiff co would need to disclose how many bailiffs they employ. This is crucial info when considering "tender awards".

There is a another "little gem" which I will come to later. Be patient....you will enjoy this.....

TT, I disagree. You must remember that most Bailiff companies also do a variety of other work than that for LA/HMCTS (although this will likely be their main source of revenue). Commercial rent recovery, forfeiture of lease and process serving to name but a few.

Also, their accounts information will provide no credible detail of how good they are at collecting debt as they will likely have several revenue streams. Each client will know exactly how good each company is via their own records.

Further, if your turnover exceeds £5M you must provide audited accounts which will show you much of the detail you require anyway. These are available from Companies House.

I would also disagree that whether a bailiff is employed or not is irrelevant for tender awards. It is the management of the bailiffs on the road that is all important.

We await with eager anticipation the gem tomtubby will post about. as it happens the "enforceImpoverishment Industry" is well out of control, whilst some are ethical, many are as dodgy in their accounting it would appear as a cowboy clamper was.

HCEO I think it is clear that you and I have strong opposing opinions and it is great that we can share those opinions on this forum. No offence intended but probably there is little more that I can add.

PS: Good debate.....