Advice needed! - 1st letter from Corporate & Legal Collections

linda.b
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4103 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I've just received a letter from them claiming I owe monies (less than £1k) to the Housing Co-op I was with a few years back. The letter doesn’t say what the debt is for, though I suspect rent arrears, but the amount seems way more than I remember. Also the co-op have never contacted me abt any debt, even though they have my email and phone number.

Unsure whether to ignore this DCA and see what happens next or dispute the debt. If i ignore them, would i still be able to dispute the debt if it gets serious, i.e. legal action?

Below I’ve posted the letter (note the first sentence!).

I found two other posts on this forum about the Corporate & Legal Collections. One says that they have no active consumer credit licence - Current has no licence purpose for individual debt collection, only business.

Here’s the letter:

‘We regret to note that despite a number of efforts by us and our clients to resolve this matter no reasonable offer or proposal has been received.

We and our client are still open to accepting as little as £10 a month, to stop any further action on our part or our client to recover the monies owed.

This would be our preferred option and will not increase the amount you have to pay.

Our client is unaware of any reason why this debt should not be paid.

To avert further action and accept this offer it is urgent the details below are completed and posted back within the 7 days. (direct debit guarantee)

Failure to make proposal will involve further action.

It is important any correspondence, queries and or payments come through us not our client.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Linda

Edited by linda.b

I guess the only thing you can do is to respond saying you have no idea what the sum they are claiming relates to. Unless they can provide substantial proof that a) the debt is owed by you : b) to whom and c) for what, then you expect them to cease sending these letters.

It is not for you to speculate what they are claiming for - they should know what it is about and should let you know.

If it is as you believe - and they are able to provide the proof of this, then IMHO, you should then write to the Co-op and ask why they have not asked for this money before.

You should bullet point the situation at the time and then confirm that at no time have you heard from them regarding this outstanding balance and that you require a full accounting.

However, you should IMHO, wait until this DCA confirms what the debt is for before proceeding further.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks citizenB, much appreciated. Tbh I thought that me and the co-op agreed on me surrending the room and no furhter charges so this letter came as a really upleasant surprise :(

Can this DCA even try collecting the debt from me without licence for individual debt collection?

Who do I dispute the debt amount - them or the co-op?

brigadier2jcs - the address on the letter is 1000 great west road, brentford, middlesex, tw8 9hh. However, the envelope has City Link branding on and a sticker with a different address: Cyan Park, Coventry, CV2 4QP

Sounds like a fishing trip to me, DCA has no power and you should only ever communicate with them in writing and don't pay a penny to them, only to the Coop if they confirm they have an outstanding debt they wish to claim from you. Personally I'd ignore this, but you could make enquiries direct to the Coop only so you don't pop up on the DCA radar as contactable.

Edited by Homer67
typo

Thanks citizenB, much appreciated. Tbh I thought that me and the co-op agreed on me surrending the room and no furhter charges so this letter came as a really upleasant surprise :(

Can this DCA even try collecting the debt from me without licence for individual debt collection?

Who do I dispute the debt amount - them or the co.op?

Dispute this with the Coop.

brigadier2jcs - the address on the letter is 1000 great west road, brentford, middlesex, tw8 9hh. However, the envelope has City Link branding on and a sticker with a different address: Cyan Park, Coventry, CV2 4QP

Coventry I think is a mail handling/dead letter office.

Dispute the debt woth the co-op.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Ok ive just checked the OFT website under Consumer Credit Act (CCA) Public Register. So I suppose they have a CC licence...

Application / Licence Details

Licence Number:0628496

Licence Status:Current

Current Applicant / Licensee:

Business NameCompany Registration NumberThe Corporate and Legal Group of Companies Limited6904704

Categories:

Debt collecting Provision of credit information services, excluding credit repair Provision of debt-counselling on a commercial basis

Edited by linda.b