style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2456 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Just had a phone call from a friend who I helped out with some debt issues a couple of years ago.

She is on ESA, and does not work any more. Recently seperated from her husband, and recives a small amount of board from two teenage children who live with her (both on JSA after collapse of family business).

She receievd a "Statutory Demand" from Royal Mail for a business account debt (about 9K) in september last year.

She had no grounds to have it set aside, and Royal Mail would not accept a token payment, so she basically said "well, make me bankrupt then. I've no assets, no income, and shed-loads of other debts".

She has received a "Creditor's Bankruptcy Petition" today, by personal service, saying she has the petition will be heard at the beginning of march.

She does not intend to contest the petition,

The debts which I helped her with a couple of years ago (which all have ignored CCA requests, but no PPI) total arond 30K (not including the Royal Mail one)

Debts are nearly all related to setting up a business with her husband which was never very successful, and trying to keep it afloat - some of the other debts are joint, and husband has around the same amount of personal debt - he is on short-term sick whilst recovering from a bowel operation in November.

Questions...

Does she have to attend the court on this day?

What information will she need to take?

Will she need a solicitor to attend with her?

Is there any other information which I should pass on to her?

Thanks

Carpe Jugulum

Oh.

Rented house - no problems with tenancy if insolvent.

All debts are unsecured.

Carpe Jugulum

No she doesn't have to attend - most people don't bother if they can't do anything to stop it from happening and it saves them a lot of stress and unpleasantness.

What she should do is get all her papers ready to send to the local Official Receiver, make sure she fully complies with everythihg he asks for and she should be out the other side within the year.

But don't turn up because the lawyers acting for the other side will behave like vermin - which is their "raison d'etre" - and they won't have that pleasure if she isn't there.

Good luck to her for the future. It sounds as though she's little left to lose- but that the PO are biting their nose off to spite their face- this is costing them quite a lot for no return. Vicious, spiteful.

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

No she doesn't have to attend - most people don't bother if they can't do anything to stop it from happening and it saves them a lot of stress and unpleasantness.

What she should do is get all her papers ready to send to the local Official Receiver, make sure she fully complies with everythihg he asks for and she should be out the other side within the year.

But don't turn up because the lawyers acting for the other side will behave like vermin - which is their "raison d'etre" - and they won't have that pleasure if she isn't there.

Good luck to her for the future. It sounds as though she's little left to lose- but that the PO are biting their nose off to spite their face- this is costing them quite a lot for no return. Vicious, spiteful.

Hi

I like this post

Hi

Have a look at this link fro the Insolvency Service on Bankruptcy: www.insolvency.gov.uk/bankruptcy/whatisbankruptcy.htm

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group