style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2455 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi All,

I moved into my property recently and I am renting from a private landlord.

I contacted the local council so I can register for council tax. I received my bill two months after i put my name on the list and i realised they did not include the resident discount. So I did the application form and it was granted.

Eventually 3 months later I have received my council tax bill and there is an error.

On the bill it say the council tax for the financial year, minus my resident discount for the past 4 months. Now I haven't lived in this property for more than 6 months, can they charge me for the whole year or is it supposed to be for the 6 months I've been here?

Thanks

They can only charge you for the time you have been there

however if you have missed any payments given the time you have been there i expect they are asking for the full amount till the end of this financial year

That full am amount will be from the time you moved in till end of financial year

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Thanks,

They've charged me from April 2012 to March 2013, however I only moved in October 2012.

I also supplied them with my tenancy agreement but I guess they have ignored this.

Moved into the Council Tax forum.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

they should charge from October to 12 to March 13

You will have to write to the council and get them to sort things

if it doesn't get sorted soon the council will obtain a liability order and situation becomes a headach

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)