chezzausauk

Threatened with dismissal, union not being helpful

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2457 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello. Firstly, I am new here and am not sure if I am posting in the correct thread. If i'm not, I apoligise. On the 16.12.12, I was suspended from work. I have since had a subsequence investigative meeting which I felt when really well. In hindsight, I believe I was lured into a false sense of security...which I can't prove it's just a feeling. I am a mebmber of a Union however, I find them very unhelpful. It is almost like they really don't want to help me at all. I have rang the mian office to site my concerns to no avail. In fact, the union seemed offended that I expressed my concerns.

Yesterday, I received an email from the Union stating my employer would probably be dismissing me on gross misconduct however, if I want a reference and pay, I will choose the following opton: the Union could approach the Employer on the grounds of reaching a compromise where you would get your notice pay plus an agreed reference, the notice pay would be with out deductions. Essentially, are they saying I admit to something I never did?

I am totally confused by this entire incident. I work in a Secondary School and apparently, I made a racist comment to a student, (which I didn't do) and mentioned the headteachers name hence, putting him in 'disrepute'. Yes, I mentioned his name but not in a derogatory or nasty way...merely, stating, 'if I have to take you to Mr. XXXXX, he won't be happy that we are wasting his time'. How is that 'disrepute'? Again, I feel at a loss as my union isn't helping me at all in fact, they haven't even asked me one single question!!!

Can I apply for JSA? I would feel terrible doing so as I have worked my whole life and never recieved a penyy in benefits but I have bills to apy. Any guidance or assistance would be appreciated. Basically, what can I do about my union not supporting me> Can I apply for JSA? I have been employed with this particular empolyer for 6 years.

Kind regards,

Chezza:-x

Edited by citizenB

Hello chezza and welcome to CAG.

I've moved your thread to the employment forum where the guys should have some comments for you.

JSA is dealt with on the benefits forum and you may need to start another thread there about that aspect of your query.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I am guessing if they are taking it this far they believe they have evidence you made a racist remark. Do you know what that evidence is?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

You say that you attended an investigative meeting.

Are you sure that it wasn't a disciplinary meeting?

Hi. I am positive it was an investigative meeting. The onnly 'evidence' they have comes from 3-4 students I have not seen the statements nor was I offered a chance to see them.. Unfortunately for me, the TA left the lesson so I have no 'witnesses'. Since yesterday, I have contacted an employment solicitor'. If telling students 'they must speak in english' is racist, well....this is something we were all instructed to do. Every teacher in the school says it daily so why when I say it is it racist? I definately believe I am being victimized. This isn't the first time I have been raked over the coals. Additionally, the principal said I put her name in disrepute by mentioning her. Find me a teacher that doesn't tell kids, 'if I have to get miss so and so!!! outrageous!!

Have you specifically been instructed to tell the children that they must speak in English? If so, who by? Is there a written policy on language to be used while in school?

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

I would ask the Union (in writing) what reasons they have for the approach they've suggested.

I'd specifically ask whether the Union has already had any discussions with the Head or any other school representative on your behalf.

I'd want to know whether the idea that you would probably be dismissed for gross misconduct came from your employer or if it was just speculation by the union.

Hi. There is no 'written' policy however, the staff memeber who works with our language students has told us to do so. We all do it. We've been verbally instructed, 'students must speak english while in school'. I could probably maintain statements from other staff saying the same unless they are in fear of losing their jobs. I stand by what I said that the above comment in no way is racist. Asking students to speak english while in school is not out or oder nor in any way racist. People are so frightened of being pc....

No, but you'd be in much better shape if you could show that you were only following instructions when you asked the children to speak English. I imagine it would be very hard to dismiss someone for doing what they'd been told to do.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Yes, you are right but as I said previously, I seriously doubt qnyone would be cosiderate enough to write a statement for me benefit. I suppose I will have to wait until I speak to my solicitor as my union may as well not be there. This is such a long and complicated situation I find myself in. I have shown my statement to 12 people and merely said to them, circle what you deem rqacist in the statements and no one could find anything. These were 12 random people, noone I work with. Also, by merely mentioning someones name is not exactly putting them in a situation of disrepute? Is it? I find it shocking. I have been a teacher for over 25 years and if I had a pound for each time I threatened bad behaviour with a trip to the principals office, well, I could retire!

You asked about JSA.

You are still receiving your normal pay while you are suspended aren't you?

Yes, I am still receiving full pay. The reason I asked about JSA is because I know the full pay will stop in the very near future and I am the type of person that needs to know what I can do to protect myself in that very near future. I initially said, I may be posting in the wrog area. A member has since informed me where to post.

Thank you