Quick question re: Getting a refund

Spitfire
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6402 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bought a tunble drier three days ago, it don't work, rang shop to tell them this, they said they would be getting a delivery in the next day and that they would call. Now i need thiis tumble drier...like yesterday, washig is piling up....anyway, drier is not on delivery and next delivery is next tues. Well idon't have til next tuesday so we are taking it back today and buying one form another shop.

My question is this. We paid cash for the drier and i want cash back, what do i say if they offer me a credit note, i really don't want anything from this shop, and i need the cash to get another one from elsewhere. What are my rights ?

HELP!!!

You are entitled to a full refund as you have acted within a reasonable amount of time (which you have) for the same way you paid for the goods. Don't except anything else and pasted below from the dti website about credit notes.

Q9. Must I accept a credit note instead of a refund?

It depends on why you want to return the goods.

• If you have changed your mind, then the shop doesn't have to do anything.

• But if the goods are
faulty
, incorrectly described or not fit for purpose, then you are entitled to
your money back
(provided you act quickly), and you certainly don't have to take a credit note

• If you do accept a credit note in these circumstances, watch out, as there may be restrictions on their use.

• If the shop displays a sign stating they only give credit notes instead of refunds, they might be breaking the law and you could report them to your local Trading Standards Department.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

When you say act quickly, how quick should this be? I mean I've taken a few things back to shops recently and received a replacement or a refund and the things in question actually stopped working after quite some time. The longest being about 8 months. Is this where the "Should last a reasonable time" thing comes in? If something goes wrong I believe I should be able to take it back to the shop I bought it from as it hasn't lasted a reasonable time, and in all instances within the guarantee period.

To recieve a full refund, whilst the time is not a set time however most companys say one month. Though is varies from the company and the item. (A sandwich for example would be a day etc).

After this period you are still entitled to a replacement or refund should the product have had a fault at the time of purchase, this can include not lasting as long as it should. So if a camera for example broke down after 7 months, its reasonable to expect it too last this long and you can recieve a refund or replacment (upto the retailer). You can still demand/request a refund or replacment after the companys guarentee period, should that product have lasted longer than this period.

(Argos have a one year guarentee period on all eletrical items, though should a camera break after 14 months, by law they are required to deal with it)

Any refund after a reasonable period (i.e 1 month), is at the descion of a retailer, as they can request a replacement or repair before hand.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page24700.html

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Great article, thanks for that. I'm happy with the results of my returns so far as they were electrical goods which haven't lasted that long. Apart from a sofa from Harvey's, but that's another story...elsewhere on this board!