Wrote To BT Requesting Terminating Service But Still Being Billed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4105 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

In October 2012 I hand wrote a letter to BT saying that I would no longer require their broadband and calls service after the end of October. Then at the beginning of November I received and paid my October bill. I also received an email from BT Residential Services dated 8th November which acknowledges that I have chosen to close my account.

I have since had bills for November, December, and now for January. In December I spoke to customer services and I explained my situation, and that I have an email from BT Residential Services which acknowledges my request, but the lady told me my account hasn't been closed and that she was putting a note on the account that it is to be closed, and also that someone would be calling me regarding this. No-one called, and I thought that was the end of it.

Then yesterday BT rang me again asking when I am going to pay November, December and January's bills!! I was shocked and told her my account was closed in October, and that I have an email regarding this request, (the email is all i have from BT that proves they received my request to close my account). She told me my account is still active and not closed at all, and that no request had been made to close it either. The lady I spoke to told me the bills she wants me to pay relate to a contract which was signed in 2010, but this can't be possible because I moved house in 2011, and I had to close my then bt account before i could have the same BT service installed in my new address, and i had to sign a new contract for this. So i am confused as to what is happening.

I asked that in future that this matter continue to be discussed in writing rather than telephone conversations, because I am being told many different things but no proof of what i am being told, but she said no, she was calling me for payment only and she doesn't pass on messages. She was so rude.

I am struggling to get them to stop billing me for a service i no longer receive and that i had already written to cancel. If it weren't for the email they sent acknowledging that i have chosen to close my account, I would have no proof at all that i had written regarding this. I am getting nowhere on the telephone. Meanwhile and while ever this goes unresolved, i fear that i will continue to be billed until forever.

What can i do about this?

I have just had this exact same problem.

Changed over to Sky in October 2012 as i had had so many different problems with B.T and only last week they finally closed my account and sent my correct Final bill. They were still trying to bill me in advance even though i stopped using their services nearly 4 months ago!

Don't bother anymore contacting customer services, they are completely useless. If you send an email stating your problems to B.T's C.E.O [email protected] headed Formal Complaint and with your account number, contact details, etc, one of his service team will get in touch with you and they will actually sort the problem out.

The lady who dealt with my complaint removed all my early cancellation charges (over £100) as a goodwill gesture as they messed me about so much closing my account.

Thanks for that. I have sent an email of complaint to Ian Livingston and have already received a reply from his personal assistant, saying one of his team will call me tomorrow and investigate my complaint.

I will post here what happens and if it gets resolved or not.

Thanks for your imput shutmeup, appreciated :-D

I have just this minute received a telephone call from a BT complaints official, a very polite gentleman with a lovely Irish accent by the name of Mr Corr, who apologised for the problems i'm having, and informed me that he has taken my case and that he has now closed my account, and is canceling all charges incurred since i requested my account be closed - a wonderful result!!

What a relief!

Edited by doobydoll