Rawwhhh

Suspended & told I can't partake in sport?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2460 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello,

I work for a British ski company and I've recently been off sick abroad for about 10 days. Around day 8 of my sick note I decided to try and pluck up the strength to snowboard so I headed to the nursery slope and did 1 run before giving in to my weakness.

The day after the area manager came into my staff accommodation to tell me I was bang out of order and I would be getting a disciplinary. The following day I attended a meeting where the area manager suspended me until further notice. He didn't state wether my suspension was paid or unpaid or when I would be allowed back to work. He did however say I was not allowed to snowboard or go drinking whilst on suspension.

Is he really allowed to play god with me and dictate wether I'm allowed to snowboard or not. Surely snowboarding is an out of work activity and he has no say what I do outside of work?

Also how long can I be suspended for and should it be paid or unpaid?

Hello and welcome to CAG. I hope the employment guys will be along later with advice for you.

Could I ask a question or two please? Were you working abroad when you were off sick? And in case the guys ask, do you have a UK employment contract?

I think I'm right in saying that suspending someone is meant to be a neutral act, but you may need to ask the company to find out about being paid or not.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

you are going to have to ask the area manager if it is paid or not if it is then i think they can impose restrictions

PHOTOBUCKET TUTORIAL IS NOW DONE HERE IT IS

What were you sick with? Stress I can see snowboarding helping. Anything more physical it looks like you defrauded the company. They can require you to be available by phone any minute they are paying you.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

It depends what your contract says, but I would guess they can impose these restrictions. Employers can and do fire people for what they do outside work if it impacts their job. A good example is the case of Preece v JD Wetherspoon from 2011, where the Employment Tribunal held that it was fair to dismiss an employee for posting about customers on facebook. Similarly if you work in a regulated industry like financial services or legal services your contract will impose a number of restrictions outside work (e.g. upholding the dignity of the profession, not being allowed to buy or sell shares without your employer's approval, not taking on other paid work) and you can also be disciplined by the regulator.

Presumably you are living at this ski resort. Therefore customers will recognise you as an instructor even if you are off-duty, so it is reasonable for them to restrict your conduct outside of work. I also think it is reasonable for them to deny you use of the slopes or the bar if you are off-sick. Your explanation of why you went boarding makes sense, but I hope you can see how it looks suspicious to be boarding while off-sick? And that your customers may feel upset if their ski lesson was cancelled due your sickness but they then see you on the slopes?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I am a chef at the resort not an instructor so customers never see me. I do have a UK contract and I am working in Switzerland.

I was off sick with sickness and diarrhoea and they wouldn't let me back until my doctors note had finished despite my actual sickness and diarrhoea having finished.

I don't see how it is fair that now after my sick note has ended and I am only suspended to restrict my movements but not tell me when my suspension is up or what's going to happen next.

I think they have seen you out while off sick and suspended you and tbh it was a bit daft snowboarding while you off, as they have suspended you I assume it will be with pay, how long have you worked for this company?

I dont see how if you were a chef they would want to take any health risks associated with your illness as bugs are easily transferred that is why they wouldnt let you work until the Drs note has ended.

As for restricting your activities I wouldnt be worrying about that I would be more concerned that if I hadnt been with the company for long about keeping my job, so would be spending my time working out what I was going to say at the disiplinary

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

So did you offer to help out with non food related work when you felt better?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Does your manager actually work in the catering trade or with the skiing side? If the latter they probably dont understand the neccessity to keep away from work whist being fit for other acivities